Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah, I think I'd borrow/rent/buy a metal detector and look more... before they cut the grass. ;) Those things are expensive if you don't have another fob (or two) to program a new one.

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
How big is this yard? If you know it’s there you should be able to find it.

Would one of those rolling magnets pick it up ... not sure.

Here’s my “lost key” story, though:

Wife calls me at work, “I’m locked out of the car”. OK, I leave work to go open the car, the car’s right where she said it was, and it’s locked, but she’s nowhere to be found AND - there’s no key in the ignition!

So “do I unlock the car and leave to get back to work?” No. I wait. She finally shows up from her run. So I say “You have the key and didn’t call me to say so?” ”No. I lost the key. Why would I call you ...”.

So she lost it while running because she put it in this tiny-little pouch that could barely hold a nickel.

So I give her my key and she takes off to go home! I’m left there looking for the key. This is at a middle school, kids are gone, but I’m searching across the front grassy area where she claimed she ran initially (thinking she lost it almost immediately). Can’t find it, but two kids are hanging around so I ask them. Whadayaknow - one of them says he found it. What did he do with it (?) ... he brought it to this lady who lives in that house down there (points way past the schoolyard). No good answer why. I go to this woman’s house, describe the key, she says “Oh yeah ... he gave it to me”. I ask her for it and she says, “I threw it away”.

HUH?!?! “You *just*got this key and you immediately threw it away?”

“Yeah - I didn’t want to confuse it with my keys”.

Thought she was kidding.

Anyway, she admitted she probably still had the garbage bag in her garage and would be willing to dig through it to retrieve the key.

Then I remember briefly hesitating .. but ... I got the key back the next day.

Another true story: I still have a set of keys I found on my street in front of my house about 10 years ago! They’re not car keys, but they look like miniature car keys with the black plastic tops. They’re only about 3/4” long. Two of them on a ring. Look like luggage keys. Just happened to notice them lying in the street as I was cutting my grass along the front edge one day. I figured someone would come knocking for them one day, but they never did.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Get a couple of friends and set up 10' x 10' foot grids with string and stakes like archeologists do. Do not leave the grid until it is throughly checked. Only way to keep your sanity. Buy them beer and pizza when you find it.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I quickly bought two "aftermarket" spares when I bought the car years ago. Either they were the real thing, or very good counterfeits, but they were about half the price that a Chevy dealer wanted. They're exceptionally easy to program if you've got two fobs already. Getting the keys cut was relatively expensive, though. I think I paid $30 apiece to get them cut. The equipment needed to cut this type of key is expensive, and not all locksmiths have it. Those that do charge a pretty penny for the privilege.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
We searched in the day time and found it quickly. I am getting a spare key.
Consider getting a "Tile" bluetooth device. Attach it to your keyring and it will sound when you use an app on your phone to trigger the alarm. They're like $10 on sale.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here's my amazing lost key story.
The late seventies a bunch of us 20 somethings went skiing in Wisconsin (RedWing?). One of my buddies attempts a black diamond run and wipes out separating his shoulder. I take him to the hospital to get patched up and return to the slope. When I get there I'm in a rush to get back up and stick my keys in the warmer pocket of my parka instead of my pants or a velcro pocket. It's getting dark but they have lights. We finish up and head back to my car - no keys. I remember putting the keys in the warmer pocket and falling on the slope. My buddies and I head back up and start looking near where I fell. It starts snowing and I start praying. A few minutes later one of my buddies finds the keys in the snow. I now believe in miracles, even small ones. Never give up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts