Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just had a sudden change of employment and had to sell my Bolt. I took it to a car dealer and they'll put it on their lot to find a new home. It was killing me.... Every other car I've ever sold I was tired of and really wanted it gone... this was different. There I was standing at the car dealership telling the used car manager about all the things that were cool on this car .... and he was soaking it all in.

Alas, I ordered a tesla m3 long range the other day as the replacement vehicle. My wife's Model S is already named EVa, so the M3 will be Wall-E.

You guys have been absolutely wonderful. When I came here I didn't know a thing and you were all so patient with me, now I suppose I'm some sort of expert.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Guys, I just had a sudden change of employment and had to sell my Bolt. I took it to a car dealer and they'll put it on their lot to find a new home. It was killing me.... Every other car I've ever sold I was tired of and really wanted it gone... this was different. There I was standing at the car dealership telling the used car manager about all the things that were cool on this car .... and he was soaking it all in.

Alas, I ordered a tesla m3 long range the other day as the replacement vehicle. My wife's Model S is already named EVa, so the M3 will be Wall-E.

You guys have been absolutely wonderful. When I came here I didn't know a thing and you were all so patient with me, now I suppose I'm some sort of expert.

You are dead to me now ... nah just kidding. GL and enjoy the 3.
Let us know what you HATE about it ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts

I can relate, somewhat. Last year I spent 3 months in Brazil, so far away from my Bolt. I was really surprised at how much I missed driving it. I thought about it almost daily as I was slogging around in my dumpy little Toyota rental.

Good luck with the new job and let us know what you think of the M3. My lease will be up next fall and I am torn between getting another Bolt or a M3 (leaning toward a shock Bolt at the moment, depending on what, if anything, will be new for 2020).

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm confused. You "had a sudden change of employment and had to sell my Bolt", but "ordered a tesla m3 long range the other day as the replacement vehicle".

So the reason isn't money? (Since you are buying a new car.) I'm not criticizing, I'm just ... confused. If it's not for money reasons, why would change of employment cause you to drop the Bolt? (Unless it's because you have to travel for work and the supercharger network meets your needs???)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Even a day away from the Bolt (or I suppose any EV) is a bit of a shocker, once one has become accustomed to driving a modern vehicle as opposed to a farting thrasher.

I had to take a run from Seattle to Bellingham and back in our Ford Ranger the other day, the first time in several months I'd taken it farther than the local garbage transfer station. Now, it's true that the Ranger is something akin to an electric drill or a hammer-- a pure tool-- but with its manual five speed, extra pedal, engine noise, geartrain noise, exhaust noise, weirdly elliptical path of propulsion power to the wheels and all the rest, a day with this vehicle felt like I'd jumped into a time machine and returned to an era before polio vaccine, before wireless "devices," a Dark Ages of transport.

At this point, the most modern thing on the Ranger is the little thin-film solar panel on the dashboard that keeps the battery healthy during weeks of inactivity.

The other funny thing was finding myself having to dredge up muscle memory around working a fuel pump; between borrowers adding fuel and my not using the Ranger very often, I realized it had been about 9 months since I'd been exposed to super-low viscosity highly flammable liquids and volatile, explosive vapors delivered through a hose, open and exposed (see YouTube for static sparks at fueling stations :) ).

Why anybody with more than $40k or so to spend on a car would choose a farting thrasher these days is becoming more and more inexplicable. Tool vehicles are understandable; a 10' RIB won't fit in or on our Bolt and so the Ranger earned its resurrection for the day. But people tooling around in so-called "luxury cars" that are time capsules of outmoded anachronism, when the target market for these vehicles are exactly those who can deal with charging infrastructure at home and almost never drive beyond the range of a reasonable battery? How is that "luxurious?"

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Careful with your new autopilot.
I just read an article on how the fooled it using 3 sticker on the highway. See link below.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/288822-it-takes-just-3-stickers-to-make-a-tesla-drive-into-oncoming-traffic?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=title

The author of the article didn't bother to do enough research to find that this issue was fixed years ago. This fact is even noted in one of the articles he links to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts