Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are all the expected new threads asking why range is lower now than it was in summer, panicking because they think they have a defective battery?

Man, the whole battery fire (real battery defect) thing has ruined the winter range induced panic (not real battery defect) vibe here...

Keith

·
Registered
35 Posts
I now joke with my friends about my Bolt catching fire. Last night we went to a movie theatre at a fancy mall. The mall had underground parking with free level 2 chargers. After the movie I said, "Good news is I got free gas tonight, bad news is my car probably caught on fire." In all seriousness I don't have a single worry about my car catching fire. Maybe I should, but I don't.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never thought I would miss threads where someone was freaked out because the GOM didn't say 238 when they had a full charge...

Keith

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Lately, due to good mileage, I've been getting 238 charging to hill-top reserve.

Maybe I should post a faux panic thread saying that I'm worried my car is charging to full even though it's in hill-top mode because I'm seeing 100% range.

(But last time when I attempted satire, it got moved into a main battery angst thread and lost in the shuffle.)

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Maybe I should post a faux panic thread saying that I'm worried my car is charging to full even though it's in hill-top mode because I'm seeing 100% range.
That actually happened to me because I disconnected the 12V battery while installing a dashcam and didn't realize that it reset my Hilltop Reserve setting...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That actually happened to me because I disconnected the 12V battery while installing a dashcam and didn't realize that it reset my Hilltop Reserve setting...
Here's one of my recent “high scores”. Notice that we're well within hilltop territory by the bars (but “107% full” if you think the battery contains miles and shouldn't be able to go above 238).
Green Font Circle T-shirt Logo

·
Registered
521 Posts
Since the two defects are amplified by heat expansion, I was wondering if the Bolt will actually have less fires in cold ambient temps?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Since the two defects are amplified by heat expansion, I was wondering if the Bolt will actually have less fires in cold ambient temps?
Not a single fire reported in Dec, Jan, or Feb....

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Here's one of my recent “high scores”. Notice that we're well within hilltop territory by the bars (but “107% full” if you think the battery contains miles and shouldn't be able to go above 238).
Yep, common occurrence in summer:
Gadget Font Display device Signage Multimedia

463km is about 290 miles. "Normal" range is around 386 km. And (as @GJETSON likes to say) my Bolt is a runt with only 52.5 kWh according to the OBD readout.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'm thinking a lot of people have bailed over FUD, and are missing out on what turns out to be a good deal on the most expensive part of the Bolt.

·
Registered
916 Posts
How about the ones asking HoW Do I tUrN oFf ThE RaDiO??????

Reactions: shrox

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I never thought I would miss threads where someone was freaked out because the GOM didn't say 238 when they had a full charge...
One of the worst ones in recent times on a Bolt FB group was someone who instead of looking at the battery bars or 1% increment SoC values in the My Chevrolet app "thinks" that their car is being overcharged and not respecting 90% target charge level setting. IIRC, they have a '19.

They also complain about the GOM's wild variations (duh) despite a whole bunch of us telling her to ignore the #$%$#% GOM and look at the battery bars or the app. Is it 2+ bars from the top on the dash or the infotainment system? If so, good.

I hope it finally sank into that person... the amount of repetition and back and forth was getting tiring.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was thinking I had not heard of any more Bolt fires for quite a while now. Could it really be that all the defective units have had their moment of "glory" and we're done with the panic?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I was thinking I had not heard of any more Bolt fires for quite a while now. Could it really be that all the defective units have had their moment of "glory" and we're done with the panic?
I'm guessing yes. A lot of hand wringing for naught.

·
Registered
217 Posts
They also complain about the GOM's wild variations (duh) despite a whole bunch of us telling her to ignore the #$%$#% GOM and look at the battery bars or the app.
For what it is intended to do, I am very impressed with the GOM, especially when used with the trend bars. I appreciate that GM gave us the option to show max min and real time kW output/input on the dash.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts