Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I was thinking I had not heard of any more Bolt fires for quite a while now. Could it really be that all the defective units have had their moment of "glory" and we're done with the panic?
3 or 4 weeks without a fire and we're thinking the issue is gone. Kinda like having 3-4 weeks of cold weather and global warming must be over. :p

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was thinking I had not heard of any more Bolt fires for quite a while now. Could it really be that all the defective units have had their moment of "glory" and we're done with the panic?
Winter months has had less/0 fires. I think there was never a fire from Dec-Feb according to this list:

Most fires were in July. Some in Oct. I think a lot of people also changed their usage/charge pattern. Some were bought back already so for folks who had long commutes and charged like that, they may not be using the Bolt the same way.

Like that fire in Sacramento, if people charged/drove (30 miles left --> 100% SOC often) a Bolt with the flaw, a fire is coming eventually.

We're about 1 month since the last Bolt fire.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm thinking a lot of people have bailed over FUD, and are missing out on what turns out to be a good deal on the most expensive part of the Bolt.
I hate to sound ... insensitive ... but I also think some owners saw this as an opportunity to take advantage of GM and the upcoming infrastructure EV tax credit to make a buck and come out on top.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I hate to sound ... insensitive ... but I also think some owners saw this as an opportunity to take advantage of GM and the upcoming infrastructure EV tax credit to make a buck and come out on top.
Yes.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Not trying to take advantage of GM and not trying to make a buck. Just trying to get out from under (over) a poorly designed battery pack and move up to a car with a better (safer) designed pack, which would be a more reasonable cost with the EV tax credit.

Although I am guilty of being mildly disappointed in the Bolt and wanting to take advantage of the situation to get out with minimal financial hit.

But I do agree with some are wanting to take advantage. Yet many are either very inconvenienced or just don't want to fear their car catching on fire, regardless of the "real" risk, and I think those outnumber the ones just trying to take advantage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am sure some did. And given the complicated history of consumer rights and mega-corporations,I won’t pass judgement. I’ll continue to smile at the many forum members (majority in my mind) doing the best they can to live with inconvenience, minimize risk to others, and enjoy a mostly positive little vehicle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm guessing yes. A lot of hand wringing for naught.
Although I guess it's also possible that Chevy's interim use guidelines (don't drain batt below 30 pct or charge above 90, etc) have prevented further incidents. Hard to say, without asking people to defy the guidelines and see if their car burns up. But the lack of further reports is encouraging me (though I'm still parking outside the carport!).

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
For what it is intended to do, I am very impressed with the GOM, especially when used with the trend bars. I appreciate that GM gave us the option to show max min and real time kW output/input on the dash.
Oh, the GOM is fine... it is the misunderstandings it causes among people who don't understand it that is frustrating. It works both ways, you have someone used to a GOM and they can't understand an EV without a GOM.

My wife has never driven anything other than an EV in her life (I didn't rob the cradle, she worked in Saudi Arabia most of her adult life, so never got a drivers license). Because she learned to drive in the Bolt, she is used to a GOM that works. Since we got the Tesla she keeps asking me "how many miles does it have left" and no mater how many time I explain that the Tesla doesn't have a GOM and the miles display is a fantasy based on EPA rating she tunes me out. Now that I have accepted that she will never "get it" it actually makes road trips easier because she has less range anxiety since when the car (in reality) has 20 miles of range left the display is showing 50 miles of range left. This way she doesn't freak out, and I can get the best charging speeds :)

Keith

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not trying to take advantage of GM and not trying to make a buck. Just trying to get out from under (over) a poorly designed battery pack and move up to a car with a better (safer) designed pack, which would be a more reasonable cost with the EV tax credit.

Although I am guilty of being mildly disappointed in the Bolt and wanting to take advantage of the situation to get out with minimal financial hit.

But I do agree with some are wanting to take advantage. Yet many are either very inconvenienced or just don't want to fear their car catching on fire, regardless of the "real" risk, and I think those outnumber the ones just trying to take advantage.

I think the majority here (I think it was 70%?) plan to keep the Bolt so only the minority really wants to get out and many will just stick with it even if they could get out (or voted to sell the car back). This is due to no real options for another car with 200+ range for the price folks paid (25k or less) so they are almost always paying more to replace the Bolt even with a repurchase so I think the term taking advantage is a bit unfair. There is also an unknown variable of whether this will be truly fixed AND how long the fix will be. Another point is all other EVs and even ICE cars have a massive backlog (20+ weeks wait).

Even though it's true GM is offering more than some used car places, I think the overall hassle for folks and some folks not having a place to park outside makes it hard to keep. GM is also mostly doing whatever is required by lemon laws so they aren't really giving EVERYONE maximum $$ here. They're really just going by what the state's lemon laws state at a minimum.

Lastly, for a very large organization with, I think 33? billion in the bank currently, I think we'd all at least agree that the recall hasn't been handled well for faults found in 2020 I think? The handling is probably why a lot of folks simply want to get out and not deal with GM again.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
As far as I know there haven't been any fires in Canada that were linked to the battery problems, so I've got it in my head that cars in cooler climates are at less risk. That may or may not be true - it would be interesting to know if the cars that burned did so in hot weather or not. I'm going to SPECULATE that the risk of fire could potentially decrease with temperature.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Anybody foolish enough to think that there's going to be an updated EV tax credit is going to get exactly what they deserve.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, I expect nothing to pass or nothing EV/Solar related at least. They're having enough trouble as it is even passing a smaller bill.

I certainly am not holding my breath, but with the car shortage and delays already till April for Tesla and pretty much every EV out there, if the credit goes back to them, manufacturer's can simply raise the price by $7500 anyways since the proposed credit is at point of sale.

It's not like people won't buy the car IMO since there is already a line and they are ok buying it without the tax credit now.

I think the Lyriq sold out in < 20 minutes?

·
Premium Member
2020 Tesla 3P-, 2021 Bolt LT
26 Posts
Yeah, I expect nothing to pass or nothing EV/Solar related at least. They're having enough trouble as it is even passing a smaller bill.

I certainly am not holding my breath, but with the car shortage and delays already till April for Tesla and pretty much every EV out there, if the credit goes back to them, manufacturer's can simply raise the price by $7500 anyways since the proposed credit is at point of sale.

It's not like people won't buy the car IMO since there is already a line and they are ok buying it without the tax credit now.

I think the Lyriq sold out in < 20 minutes?
Wasn't that capped at 1500 cars? Seriously, 1500 production for the first year. Sounds scarily like a PR stunt.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts