Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Premier
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, and thanks to all who participate in this thread, and Happy Easter!

First, is the DIC the panel in front of the driver? Or the center panels, or a combination of both?

Second, I would love some information on what exactly the center panel is telling me: specifically, on the energy panel, where it shows energy information like drive, climate, and terrain, there is a number that shows we are “+111.4” and I get the feeling it is displaying how efficient we are at driving, but does that mean we got an extra 111 miles on a charge/multiple charges by driving energy consciously?

I am reading the owner’s manual thoroughly, but it seems there is a lot of missing information on specifics for what the center panel can tell us.

Thanks all! Love the group! Getting some good information to use with the car really helps!

Randy
2021 Premier with driver confidence 2 package

·
1,505 Posts
DIC = Behind the steering column.
Infotainment Screen = The big one!

Terrain, climate etc are scores for driving efficiency. If you want to improve efficiency, watch the screen and make adjustments to technique, etc. I thin the numbers relate to how many miles +- due to each factor.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Thanks Rob!
If you think you will be able to improve your driving technique looking at that graph, good luck. You have no control over terrain, wind, or temperature. You have control over your speed ( how high, and how consistent), the use of HVAC (heat eats range, AC not much), and tire pressure (morning cold reading should be 38 psi minimum) That is your entire bag of tricks.

The behind the wheel panel (DIC) is very useful. Set your trip odometer at the start of each drive, and you will see how quickly the car recalculates your range, and efficiency, and how that efficiency varies from trip to trip. Look at these two infotainment screens for useful information.

1617555322247.png 1617555737176.png

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Set your trip odometer at the start of each drive, and you will see how quickly the car recalculates your range, and efficiency, and how that efficiency varies from trip to trip.
To the best of my knowledge, at least on my 2017 Bolt, resetting the trip odometer has no effect on the car's estimate of how much range you have. But yes, it does reset the displayed efficiency, and that number continue to update to show your average efficiency since the odometer was reset.

You can also see a bar graph showing your efficiency for every 5 km over the last 50km (or something similar in miles for US Bolts, I'm guessing) on the Energy screens. That's your most immediate feedback as to how well you're doing, especially just after you tick over one of the 5km intervals and the "current" part of the graph reflects your efficiency right now.

Here in British Columbia the profile of that bar graph can look very similar to our mountainous terrain - lots of peaks and valleys.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
543 Posts
I believe your +111 miles figure is since your last “full“ charge.
Full meaning up to the max you had programmed, whether that be 75% or 90% or 100% in your charge settings options.
so if you do partial charges, it will keep building and only resets when you reach a “full” charge based on your settings.
I rarely look at that screen, but I think that is how it works. Same as the kWh screen resets only after a ”full“ charge.

·
Registered
2021 Premier
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you think you will be able to improve your driving technique looking at that graph, good luck. You have no control over terrain, wind, or temperature. You have control over your speed ( how high, and how consistent), the use of HVAC (heat eats range, AC not much), and tire pressure (morning cold reading should be 38 psi minimum) That is your entire bag of tricks.

The behind the wheel panel (DIC) is very useful. Set your trip odometer at the start of each drive, and you will see how quickly the car recalculates your range, and efficiency, and how that efficiency varies from trip to trip. Look at these two infotainment screens for useful information.

View attachment 34250 View attachment 34252
I used to train pilots and we have a familiar saying......”double the speed, quadruple the drag” So increasing your speed past 55 or 60 definitely will reduce efficiency.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you guys and gals are great sources of info for a newb like myself... I am going to go totally electric some day and have a solar charge station to charge them... it is about time.
I am currently doing the 20/20 challenge... don't go over 20 or regen more than 20... It is working for sure... gone almost 3 days now without a charge... my commute is 80 miles a day.... I still have just over 100 miles on the screen.... try it. I figure driving this way nets me well over 300 miles on a charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts