Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past February I began calling a number of local Chevy dealerships in the Toronto area to see if any of them had any of their initial allotments left for the Bolt. I was able to find one that advised they still had 3 spaces left in their initial allotment. Perfect! I found the dealership just before the Toronto International Auto Show and told the dealership that I was going to go to the show to see the Bolt and that I would likely be putting a deposit down on the car if we liked it. I was advised that if I waited until after the show, it was quite possible those final 3 allotments may not still be there. I thought this reasonable as it was an extremely popular car. So I put down my deposit and signed the paperwork for the Bolt. And then I waited. Patiently. I'm on a number of forums including the Facebook pages when I recently started seeing customers who had ordered after me already receiving build dates and a few had actually received their Bolts. I thought, 'hold on a sec - where's my build date??' I began asking questions of GM and my dealership. It was today that I finally confronted my salesman that sold me the Bolt and that's when I learned that I had been lied to. This dealership had already sold their initial allotment and I was never in the initial allotment from the beginning. I was lied to right out of the gate in order to secure my deposit on the Bolt. Almost 3 months has passed since I ordered, waiting for a Bolt that was never meant to arrive in 2017. I spoke with GM and they advised that I was correct, any orders not part of the initial allotment won't be delivered to customers until late 2017, but more likely not until into 2018.

I will readily admit that I lost it on my salesman. I have never been confronted by such an unethical dealership in my entire life. And so here I am. Boltless. I have filed a formal complaint with GM, but I'm not sure that's going to go anywhere. I've advised my salesman what my expectations are moving forward, and that's the delivery of my order asap. Can anyone else suggest any recourse I can take?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
The first recourse would be to cease dealing with this dealership.

There was a day when the standard advice would have been to contact the Better Business Bureau - but I never really trusted them to be effective. Today my advice would be to find all of the review sites you can (Yelp, etc.) and put in the lowest possible rating along with the comments you made above. And do the same on any social media accounts that the dealer has (Twitter, Facebook, etc.). If you feel the salesman was personally responsible (i.e., his actions were against dealership policy) then I'd identify him by name. Just be careful to keep your comments factual so as to avoid any libel issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue I have, is that I do have an order number. But because I'm not part of the initial allotment, God only knows when it will be fulfilled. GM Customer Care advised it won't likely be until the fall or into 2018. But I am in the system. Cancelling my order puts me right back to the end of the line.

I have purposefully left the dealers name out for the time being as I'm giving them an opportunity to make this right. They need to contact their dealership's GM rep and come clean with what happened and then find a way to get my Bolt built. But I have a bad feeling that's going to be next to impossible to accomplish. But rest assured that if this isn't resolved to my liking, social media will be plastered with their name and what they have done.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If the deposit is refundable, maybe there are dealerships outside of Toronto that has the Bolt in stock? If you find one elsewhere, you can pick it up and have a road trip home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good luck finding a dealer with any 2017 allocation left. I check at least 40 dealers in the Toronto area last month and not one had a single Bolt left in their 2017 allocation. The best they could do is take a deposit on a 2018 Bolt with no promises on when or if it would be delivered. I spoke to several GM reps but they showed little interest in increasing the supply of Bolts to the Ontario market. There is a large demand for Bolts in Ontario but GM it seems would rather they sit on lots in California.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Freemont Chevy in California has 282 Bolts for sale. I have no idea what Chevy is doing... People want this car, but not where Tesla headquarters is located.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Good luck finding a dealer with any 2017 allocation left. I check at least 40 dealers in the Toronto area last month and not one had a single Bolt left in their 2017 allocation. The best they could do is take a deposit on a 2018 Bolt with no promises on when or if it would be delivered. I spoke to several GM reps but they showed little interest in increasing the supply of Bolts to the Ontario market. There is a large demand for Bolts in Ontario but GM it seems would rather they sit on lots in California.
Freemont Chevy in California has 282 Bolts for sale. I have no idea what Chevy is doing... People want this car, but not where Tesla headquarters is located.
Me neither. It seems to me that GM should be more flexible in their programs. They guessed that demand for the Bolt would be high in the Bay Area and California and they were wrong. That's OK, I would have made that bet too. However, now they should be sending all new production to wherever there is demand, like Canada and South Korea and ...? California dealers can easily swap and trade inventory, so the supply California needs is right here already.

I suspect everything is on hold until the beginning of July when the Tesla Model 3 is finally fully revealed. At this point in time, IMO Bolt sales are directly tied to the Model 3. If the Model 3 is a smash hit like many think it will be, Chevy will have to discount and take losses. If the Model 3 disappoints many people, Chevy will win sales. If Tesla can't deliver the Model 3 in quantity, Chevy will win some sales.

We'll get hints about the Model 3 next month and all will be reveled in July. I guess in the meantime, GM is sticking to it's original plans. I suspect an organization as big and established as GM and it's dealer network is like steering the Titanic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is going to be a lot of disappointed Tesla Model three customers. The Volt and the Bolt are actually pretty superb products compared to the continual stream of glitches and bugs etc that owning a Tesla brings with it.

Given what you pay and the quirks you have to deal with I appreciate the Chevrolet Mass production aspects quite a bit. I had thought that the Bolt would have similar quirks, but actually its a pretty polished product that is pretty darn slick.

Those of you who go on to own Model threes will not really enjoy that aspect of owning a Tesla. Their software platform and the bugs and glitches it comes with is not my idea of a smooth experience for an expensive or mass production vehicle.

I hope they will have more EV techs on their staff by the time they roll out that platform because its going to be plenty ugly.

GM made a great move partnering with LG on these aspects. Smooth experience, sweet memories, just charge and drive...

but thats just my opinion, and I am a technical type who fiddles with gadgets working in the high Tech market sector...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Musk also brought up a point that may hurt sales. He said that people need to understand that the Model 3 is not going to be an improvement on the Model S. He wanted to call it the Model E, but dropped it with a potential lawsuit with Ford. Musk said some people think it is called the Model 3, it is the third car and will be the newest and best. By Musk mentioning this it must be something that might be an issue with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Musk said that to explain away below-expectations sales of the Model S. In reality I think everyone's quite clear that the Model 3 is supposed to do what the Model S does but for half the price, and they'd rather pay half price. Musk brought back the stripped 60 kWh Model S to try to get some of them to buy now, but it's still twice as much money.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Spitfire: 1.) try to speak with the dealership’s General Manager or Owner-Operator. This may be difficult to accomplish.. depending on dealership these people tend to insulate themselves from retail customers - - one must be very persistent. Try to obtain a credible explanation / rectification. 2.) obtain the name and contact details of the dealership’s GM District Manager who works for GM of Canada Co. Would have been directly involved with each of his dealers in taking Bolt allocation numbers and slotting each dealer’s customer orders into production timeframes evenly through Q3 - - where was yours during this process ?

It’s matter of luck at this point but it’s possible that: a last minute cancellation might occur (albeit not necessarily the colour, equipment you ordered) or perhaps the aforementioned senior dealership personnel know of a Bolt order they kept back for themselves or a favoured friend/relative that upon learning of their staff’s transgressions, may allocate it to you ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spitfire: Ordered my Bolt January 4 from a Toronto GM dealer at list price + and still no TPW. They may well have sold me a car that they had no allotment for and misspoke to make a sale. They were hoping that a car would fall from the sky and that they could make some money by doing a little paperwork. I do not know of a mechanism in Ontario you can use that will make a Chevrolet Dealer regret lying to individual customers to make a sale. Only GM could really do that for you and I am not sure that would interest them. Ultimately you have to rely on people behaving properly.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
...I think everyone's quite clear that the Model 3 is supposed to do what the Model S does but for half the price, and they'd rather pay half price.
That's what a lot of buyers may think, but it's not what the reality is going to be. You can't build the same car for half price, and I'm a bit skeptical that it will get close to the Model S standard even after it's been loaded up with all of the extra-cost options. The big question is going to be how many of those preorders will stick when people find out what they're actually buying.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
That's what a lot of buyers may think, but it's not what the reality is going to be. You can't build the same car for half price, and I'm a bit skeptical that it will get close to the Model S standard even after it's been loaded up with all of the extra-cost options. The big question is going to be how many of those preorders will stick when people find out what they're actually buying.
I think there will be drop out. Once people see what they will have to pay to get what they think they're getting now. It won't be $35,000. Also when they find out that many of the features of the Model S will not be available at all at any price. Musk has already said that the Model S will always have more tech in it than the 3. Those that think they're getting an shrunken Model S at half price are delusional and will be disappointed.

I think the real deal breaker for many will be the spartan interior with the idiot iPad drive system. I know it was for me. That and the no hatchback sedan, the likely loss of tax credits, the dealer only, no DIY service and mandatory pay MSRP.

People like to point to the Super Charger network as a huge plus for the Telsa, but IMO, once the car can go over 200 miles on a charge, it's really not needed by most. I'm likely never to drive my Bolt across country and I didn't buy it for that. Charge it at home and it goes all day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts