Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Bolt and I have been driving it for about 4 months. I commute to work and there is no way I am ever buying another ICE car as my commuter. I read these posts a couple times a week and I feel pretty wise about the Bolt and its inner workings

My son just turned 16 and we are looking for a vehicle for him. He would commute to school and to swim practice (20 miles round trip on the highway). Used Bolts are out of our budget range. Used Leafs in our budget range are degraded 2014 and older. Since I want him to have a vehicle that will last through high school and hopefully into college the older Leafs arent really an option. I have found a few used Volts 2013-2015 in our budget range locally. Any one with first hand experience share your thoughts and suggestions on if a 6-8 year old Volt would be a good vehicle? I am in the Atlanta area

Registered
My brother bought a 13' Volt new. I took it when he bought a TM3P and drove it for 2 years until I bought a Bolt then it went to our parents and my dad drives it almost every day. It has ~90,000 miles now and still gets ~40 miles of range in town in non winter months. Brakes still look new. Only issue any of us had were covered under recalls. Sometimes it took a firm conversation with the dealer to have it covered. I would hesitate on buying a 2012. I think the Voltec warranty is 8yr/100,000mi so most Volts should have some warranty left. I would have 0 hesitation buying a used Volt. I would get a Bluetooth OBDII scanner and app to check the cell voltages. It is not a fast car but fast enough and the passing transitions are really good. Don't highway race one because they top out at 101mph while you are stuck at 93 馃槴.

To me Leafs are a big risk with known battery issues that affects 100% of the cars. An older Leaf will never venture far from home unless it is being towed.馃お

Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
I have a 2017 Bolt and I have been driving it for about 4 months. I commute to work and there is no way I am ever buying another ICE car as my commuter. I read these posts a couple times a week and I feel pretty wise about the Bolt and its inner workings

My son just turned 16 and we are looking for a vehicle for him. He would commute to school and to swim practice (20 miles round trip on the highway). Used Bolts are out of our budget range. Used Leafs in our budget range are degraded 2014 and older. Since I want him to have a vehicle that will last through high school and hopefully into college the older Leafs arent really an option. I have found a few used Volts 2013-2015 in our budget range locally. Any one with first hand experience share your thoughts and suggestions on if a 6-8 year old Volt would be a good vehicle? I am in the Atlanta area
If you're willing to wait a few weeks, the "final" software fix for the recalled 2017-19 Bolt should be complete, which means a bunch of used Bolts will all hit the market simultaneously. You might see some really good deals, especially with new 2020-21 Bolts selling so low, and the new 2022 Bolt about to be released.

Registered
I had a 2012 Volt for five years. I sold it to a good friend who still drives it every day. At the time I considered it the best car I had ever owned or driven. It's now in third place on that list behind my Model S and my wife's Bolt.

Registered
Yeah. Like more electric range.
The 2nd gen was pretty close to the sweet spot with ~60 miles of range. If charging on a 110v outlet that is about the max you can put back in overnight. On my Gen1 Volt I used almost all of the 40 mile range everyday and would do a full charge every night on a 110v outlet. With Bolts closing in on 300mile range and Tesla going beyond that and the rate of recharge will probably halve every 5 years the need for a backup ICE is becoming less and less very fast unless you are towing.

However for someone that lives in an apartment and does not have easy access to charging the Volt or a RAV4 or Prius Prime are your best choices for EV.

Registered
2020 Bolt LT

I bought a 2016 Volt in 2019 with 50k miles. It has been a fantastic car. It now has over 65k miles and in the warmer months has a 60 mile range. It's fun to drive.
It inspired me to buy a Bolt. Now I drive the Bolt and my wife drives the Volt.

Registered

I had a 2014 Volt, electric range was 38 miles in summer, 24 in winter. Used premium gas. If I had to make your decision, I would get a 2016 Volt which uses regular gas and has 58 mile electric range in summer.
I might be wrong about the year it changed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts