Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....yes I did, because my bike seen here was around 1 inch too long to fit in the rear with the back seats folded and the passenger front seat pushed all the way forward. So - I bought a Bolt-specific hitch frame and a Thule bike rack to fit. And today, I took my new Bolt (bought in mid-November) for its first road trip to the Pacific coast - not a large trip from where I live, but not possible to do on a round trip basis with my former Spark EV with its max range of 85 to 90 miles. Today's jaunt totalled around 120 easy, worry free miles of pleasant driving in beautiful surrounds. And I got to ride my bike in a place I've been wanting to for some time.

I installed the hitch frame on the car yesterday. The instructions said a professional shop should be done in 20 minutes; I took an hour and a half. It's MY car, after all.

It was pretty easy to do. I spent most of my time looking for the right tool or taking a coffee break. I also took some time in cutting a 3.25x5" chunk out of the lower rear fascia so it would look like something a $35/hr. tech would have done, instead of what a $13/hr. cub mechanic might have given. That was the hardest part.

The frame fit all the body attachment points it was designed to to so once I had everything together it all went quickly.

The Thule bike carrier rack slipped right into the inside of the hitch hole, a strong bolt securing it to the car. It was quick to open up and load the bike.

This was the Point Reyes area in Marin County, northbound entry located on the other end of the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. My ride was at times painful, but always with beauty.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We had a hitch on our Prius, and I've got one on order for the Bolt as well. I like the looks of this, very functional addition to the car!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's been almost seven weeks since I picked up my Bolt, but still waiting for my plates, my Costco cash card, my California $2500 rebate. I don't buy cars too often, so I'm not sure of how long is too long.

Meanwhile, my Bolt continues to draw lots of attention....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I’m jealous, it’s only 9 degrees here on Long Island, looks like it will be awhile before I’m back on my road bike.

Anyway, great job with the hitch, that tiny cutout underneath isn’t even noticeable.

I put my bike inside my Bolt without any problem, but I always take off the front wheel, and my frame is on the small side at 53cm. Having a rack also allows you to load more than one bike, getting two bikes inside the Bolt wouldn’t be easy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same here...I'd post a picture with the fat bike on the rack but have not figured out how you've inserted all your pix...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What hitch / receiver did you go with? The fitment looks excellent
Draw-Tite Sportframe 1-1/4 inch Class 1 hitch, part number for hitch specific to the Bolt: 24956

The hitch cost a little over $100. It is perfectly designed for the Bolt - all but the hitch extension fits under the plastic fascia panel at the bottom of the bumper. Only modification to the car is to cut out a 3.25" x 5" piece of the fascia at its center. Top priority in doing this task is to find the most precise centerpoint on the fascia panel to set up the cutout. Find center points on the car's underbody - then with a ruler or square, project the center point onto the edge of the fascia panel which rests about an inch or two under the underbody, and mark it with chalk, or a spot of paint (I dipped a toothpick into some white latex paint which resulted in a nice little dot appearing there). BTW it is in this space between fascia and underbody that the frame of the hitch will hide.

Important to know that Bolt owner's manual clearly states that towing is not to be done with the Bolt. Didn't say anything about carrying things like bikes or luggage, however. Max tongue weight specification for hitch is 200 lbs which should be fine for carrying four bikes, not that I would do that. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
To all of you installing a hitch. Word of advice cutting a bumper: use metal cutting scissors. Cutting took me about 2 minutes, no sweat.
BTW, in my Bolt there is a small plastic lip at the center of the bumper, thank you Chevy for eliminating tricky center search task.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To all of you installing a hitch. Word of advice cutting a bumper: use metal cutting scissors. Cutting took me about 2 minutes, no sweat.
BTW, in my Bolt there is a small plastic lip at the center of the bumper, thank you Chevy for eliminating tricky center search task.
Scissors work fine on straight cuts, but to get the 90 bend with the horizontal cut done perfectly might need another solution. I did the whole thing with a utility knife. Used a new blade and heated it over a candle flame before and during the task. Results were smooth cuts and sharp corners. But it did take me longer than 2 minutes, more like 10.

I found the small dip marking the center of the fascia panel, and initally thought of using that as my guide, but I also realized that the panel was not necessarily installed perfectly for that centerpoint to match the centerpoint of the underbody. Since the hitch frame was designed to attach to underbody points, I chose to use the centerpoint of the underbody as my guide. It turned out the underbody centerpoint was 1/8-1/4" off from the center of the panel.

Everything ended up perfectly.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Scissors work fine on straight cuts, but to get the 90 bend with the horizontal cut done perfectly might need another solution. I did the whole thing with a utility knife. Used a new blade and heated it over a candle flame before and during the task. Results were smooth cuts and sharp corners. But it did take me longer than 2 minutes, more like 10.

I found the small dip marking the center of the fascia panel, and initally thought of using that as my guide, but I also realized that the panel was not necessarily installed perfectly for that centerpoint to match the centerpoint of the underbody. Since the hitch frame was designed to attach to underbody points, I chose to use the centerpoint of the underbody as my guide. It turned out the underbody centerpoint was 1/8-1/4" off from the center of the panel.

Everything ended up perfectly.
FWIW, when I did this, I used a laser level centered on the middle sensor in the bumper. Yes, it was possible that the bumper cover was off center, but that turned out not to be the case. The eventual location of the hitch on the hole I cut was within 1/8", and I suspect that this was more because of the latitude the oval mounting holes in the Draw-tite hitch afforded me.

When cutting, I used a utility knife with a new blade. I did find that after the initial scoring cut, things went slowly, because the blade gets thicker as it cuts deeper, and the material tended to spit the blade out. To remedy that, I roughed out the opening with a hacksaw blade, leaving 1/2" of material, and making a diagonal cut into the inside corners. With this done, I could manually bend the ABS along the scoring lines, opening up the cut, so I could make multiple light passes with the utility knife. It went quickly after that.

FWIW, even though the Draw-tite instructions tell you to remove the plastic pins holding the bumper skin to the framing before making your cuts, I left them in to support the plastic, enabling a firmer work surface to cut against, and them removed them for bumper installation.

What remains is selecting the bike rack. Currently considering the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 or the Thule pro xt.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's been almost seven weeks since I picked up my Bolt, but still waiting for my plates, my Costco cash card, my California $2500 rebate. I don't buy cars too often, so I'm not sure of how long is too long.
I got mine Black Friday.

Plates - Arrive about 1 week before Christmas
Costco - Got email Christmas day saying my card had been shipped and to expect it within 10 days, but not to notify them unless it is more than 4 weeks late. So far no card.
CA Rebate - Got approval 12/18 with notice it would take up to 90 days for them to send the check.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My dentist drives a Volt and said he bought it for the carpool sticker, but has come to appreciate the car.

He said he heard there is a pause or end to new California carpool stickers because too many are in use. True? Urban Legend?

·
Registered
373 Posts
My dentist drives a Volt and said he bought it for the carpool sticker, but has come to appreciate the car.

He said he heard there is a pause or end to new California carpool stickers because too many are in use. True? Urban Legend?
There is a change in the carpool sticker program, AB 544:

• Stickers issued to new cars after January 1, 2019 are valid for three full years and then until January 1 of their fourth year.
  • Drivers issued stickers in 2017 and 2018 will be able to apply for a new sticker in 2019 that is valid until January 1, 2022.
  • Stickers issued before January 1, 2017 will expire on January 1, 2019.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts