Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years now, I have been saying the world needing an EV station wagon. My argument has been that the Bolt is a hatchback, and needs the rear wheels pushed back 12-16 inches to create a real station wagon.

But the federal government says I am wrong. The Bolt is a small station wagon, while somehow, the Hyundai Kona EV is a small sport utility vehicle. :unsure::confused:

·
Registered
625 Posts
For years now, I have been saying the world needing an EV station wagon. My argument has been that the Bolt is a hatchback, and needs the rear wheels pushed back 12-16 inches to create a real station wagon.

But the federal government says I am wrong. The Bolt is a small station wagon, while somehow, the Hyundai Kona EV is a small sport utility vehicle. :unsure::confused:

Technically the Bolt shouldn't even appear in a "fuel economy" guide as it doesn't use fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
442 Posts
I always considered my Outback and Niro as a station wagon. Too large/long for a hatchback in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
My argument has been that the Bolt is a hatchback, and needs the rear wheels pushed back 12-16 inches to create a real station wagon.
Not sure about a full 12-16 inches, but definitely needs more than it has.

On the Audi A3 "Sportback" forums, people would get bent out of shape if you called it a wagon.

Insurance classified it as a wagon so it was cheaper. A VW GTI, which was essentially the same car but slightly shorter, was classified as a hatchback and paid higher insurance rates.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Technically the Bolt shouldn't even appear in a "fuel economy" guide as it doesn't use fuel.
Technically electricity is considered to be a “fuel alternative”. I don’t see any problem with it being listed in fuel economy guidance. But I get your point about it it not being “fuel”, since oxidation isn’t involved.

Maybe we could wonder if L-ion could be reclassified as “fuel” if spontaneous combustion is considered 🤔

·
Registered
991 Posts
Well the government is wrong. It is a hatchback. Nothing more or less.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I'm sure you can find other standards bodies who disagree. What does EU or Canada consider the Ampera-e/Bolt?
The Canadian Fuel Consumption Guide lists it as a "WS" class vehicle - "Small Station Wagon less than 3,680 l (130 cu. ft.)"

Well the government is wrong. It is a hatchback. Nothing more or less.
Canada doesn't have a vehicle class labelled "Hatchback".

But when people ask me, I just say "hatchback".

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
We old guys who invented hot hatch, pre-video-game-era, will never accept a five-door as a hot hatch. Three-doors only, thank you.
I dunno.
My first new car was an '86 GTI, 3-door. 20 years later, with wife and kid, I got an Audi A3, which certainly felt like a hot hatch to me. Having a 3-door is fine as long as you have no friends or family.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We had 4 kids and for a number of years I had an e30 BMW 318iS. My wife had the station wagon and carpool duty. More than once I was up late repairing her car to get it ready for the next morning! My BMW had 5 seats and a stick shift, she has never learned to drive a manual. Never had to worry about her taking off with my car. Kids would "discuss" who got to sit in the front seat. Before the BMW was a short stint with a MB 190E - worst car I've ever owned, lived in the shop! Before that was a Merkur XR4Ti - now that was a fun car. When I sold it my younger son who was 4 asked me to go get it back. It was kind of a hot hatchback but a little bigger with more power and speed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts