Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone - newly registered user that has been reading these forums for about a month now. I picked up my new bolt on the last day of the GM rebate offer at my local Chevy dealer

2021 Bolt Premier - I absolutely love this car!

Appreciate all the forum posts about pros/cons, First time in years that I purchased a NEW car and not had a single inkling of buyers remorse. I am averaging about 4.4~4.6kwh and so far have not had the need to charge outside of home. Fortunately for me the setting of 12amps on the standard 120v plug provides adequate charge levels for my daily habits.
Gave the dealership a 5 star review as they did a great job from all aspects

Out the door with this car in Charlotte, NC in early May for $28,500

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Welcome! Glad to hear you are enjoying your new Bolt. Are you charging outside on the driveway, or in a garage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey glad to hear you like it. I just bought my bolt a few weeks ago and am learning little things every day. Like you can just push the button on the door handle with the key fob in your pocket and it will lock and unlock the door. Did not know that. DUH. I kept taking out the key fob and using the buttons on it.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I charge in my garage - in fact this picture was taken after backing the car out of the garage so I could plug in the L1 charger it came with - short story follows!

I considered the L2 charger prior to pulling the trigger and had many discussions with a friend that owns a TM3 - he swears that I would need it and says he follows the ABC rule - always be charging. Made the decision that I would opt to go with the standard trickle charge and see how well it worked for me before attempting a DIY install of a 240volt outlet ( 200amp circuit in house and panel is in my garage - though on the other side where my wife parks )

Ended up plugging the charger into the ceiling receptacle that my garage door opener is using - this is a 20amp circuit and it only wired for the garage door opener - so I set the home location to 12amps and it seems to be working well for me thus far - Covid knocked my daily round trip drive to the office of 49 miles to what amounts to twice a week and any other driving is within a 25 mile radius in the Charlotte area.

1st road trip to Raleigh, NC ( 198miles ) next week, so I have already planned out my stay at a hotel near my corp office that has plenty of L2 chargers for EV's. It is still quite crazy that I am excited to drive this car as opposed to the regular gas flavored version.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT - Kinetic Blue
54 Posts
Welcome. Looks like you got a really good deal. My wife and I got a 2021 LT with every option for $29100 including TTL back in February. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey glad to hear you like it. I just bought my bolt a few weeks ago and am learning little things every day. Like you can just push the button on the door handle with the key fob in your pocket and it will lock and unlock the door. Did not know that. DUH. I kept taking out the key fob and using the buttons on it.
Yes :) - that is something that most of my other cars provided as well. Something that I did discover by accident in the Bolt is that the center console lid actually will slide forward about 3-4 inches giving the driver/passenger that extra length to rest their arm on if needed.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
85 Posts
Something that I did discover by accident in the Bolt is that the center console lid actually will slide forward about 3-4 inches giving the driver/passenger that extra length to rest their arm on if needed.
My dog likes to ride with her front paws on the console. She has really marked up the console in my wife's Scion. I slide the arm rest forward and fuss at her if she steps on the soft part. She is slowly learning.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
85 Posts
I am averaging about 4.4~4.6kwh
So I wonder about your driving habits. Now that my long distance travel is over (for just a little while) I have settled into a patter of mixed country and city driving. I live about 50 miles from work part of my drive is at 60-70 MPH and part is stop and go. I run the A/C most days, but not the heater this time of year. I get 3.9 M/kWh, sometimes it will drop down to 3.8 but it goes back to 3.9 the next time I'm in town.

So I'm just wondering what your driving is like that you get 4.4 to 4.6.

BTW: nice looking car (mines the same color but is an LT).

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Thanks!

I charge in my garage - in fact this picture was taken after backing the car out of the garage so I could plug in the L1 charger it came with - short story follows!

I considered the L2 charger prior to pulling the trigger and had many discussions with a friend that owns a TM3 - he swears that I would need it and says he follows the ABC rule - always be charging. Made the decision that I would opt to go with the standard trickle charge and see how well it worked for me before attempting a DIY install of a 240volt outlet ( 200amp circuit in house and panel is in my garage - though on the other side where my wife parks )

Ended up plugging the charger into the ceiling receptacle that my garage door opener is using - this is a 20amp circuit and it only wired for the garage door opener - so I set the home location to 12amps and it seems to be working well for me thus far - Covid knocked my daily round trip drive to the office of 49 miles to what amounts to twice a week and any other driving is within a 25 mile radius in the Charlotte area.

1st road trip to Raleigh, NC ( 198miles ) next week, so I have already planned out my stay at a hotel near my corp office that has plenty of L2 chargers for EV's. It is still quite crazy that I am excited to drive this car as opposed to the regular gas flavored version.
I'm not sure using the garage door opener outlet vs garage wall outlets makes any difference. I only have 1 breaker for the garage... I am sure that's shared by the garage door opener, wall outlets, and the NEMA 5-20 meant for water softener. Though, having it plugged in above probably helps in cable management.

·
Registered
2021 Premiere Chevy Bolt
3 Posts
I had this feature on my 2017 Volt. But on the Volt the button was on both the front doors AND the back doors. On my 2021 Bolt the button is only on the front door. Not a big deal just don't know why they couldn't put the button on the back doors.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
So I wonder about your driving habits. Now that my long distance travel is over (for just a little while) I have settled into a patter of mixed country and city driving. I live about 50 miles from work part of my drive is at 60-70 MPH and part is stop and go. I run the A/C most days, but not the heater this time of year. I get 3.9 M/kWh, sometimes it will drop down to 3.8 but it goes back to 3.9 the next time I'm in town.

I am averaging 5.2 miles per KWh with, I'm guessing, 70% city, 30% highway.

20210605_095012.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
85 Posts
I had this feature on my 2017 Volt. But on the Volt the button was on both the front doors AND the back doors. On my 2021 Bolt the button is only on the front door. Not a big deal just don't know why they couldn't put the button on the back doors.
I had a 2018 Volt, and I can’t count how many times I’ve placed my finger on the rear door handle of my 2021 Bolt thinking that this would still unlock it 🙄

·
Registered
33 Posts

I had a 2018 Volt, and I can’t count how many times I’ve placed my finger on the rear door handle of my 2021 Bolt thinking that this would still unlock it 🙄
Starting with model year 2020, the lock/unlock buttons were removed from the Bolt rear doors. Model years 2017-2019 have them.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So to be completely honest - I used to be the typical 5 to 10mph over the speed limit with moderate to rapid accel from stop lights etc - but now I seem to have this urge to drive at the posted speed limit or no more than 1 to 2mph over. Go figure a car would have this effect on my mindset. Here are my driving habits now that I find myself following after a month

• Drive in L 99% of the time and have gotten pretty good at the 1 pedal driving
  • Only drive in D on Interstate and use cruise at the posted speed limit
  • Air conditioning in North/South Carolina is a must - but use it on Auto set to 74 or 73
  • When slowing from highway speeds and carrying extra speed in L, I use the steering wheel paddle to add extra Regen
  • I don't accelerate rapidly to where the consumption goes over 52kwh or so
Love the Cajun Red and I am considering plasti-dip (jet blue) to color the chevy bowtie emblem nearly identical color as the EV logo on the side

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am averaging 5.2 miles per KWh with, I'm guessing, 70% city, 30% highway.

View attachment 35551
That is probably very close - lately its been about 50/50 interstate because of the location I have been doing work at - but typically its def around the 70/30 as the majority of the drive to the office is inside the Charlotte city area.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure using the garage door opener outlet vs garage wall outlets makes any difference. I only have 1 breaker for the garage... I am sure that's shared by the garage door opener, wall outlets, and the NEMA 5-20 meant for water softener. Though, having it plugged in above probably helps in cable management.
I actually have just 3 outlets in my garage in total

Hot water heater has its own and is wired directly into the hot water heater - no plug
the receptacle on the wall is GFCI and we have a fridge and our fiber internet box plugged into it as well as a power strip that I use to charge my portable power tool batteries

The garage has 2 stalls with 2 openers and each has a receptacle above it - both on the same 20amp breaker

My 2nd adapter I purchased from Amazon is a 16amp L2 charger that has an adapter to change the 6/20 to 5/15 for 120v charging - I have yet to get the time to gauge the wire and see if its low enough to allow for 208/240 to get a 16amp pull and get that extra charging amperage or if its even worth the time at all

·
Registered
29 Posts

(as a comparison, I live in small mountains in Western North Carolina, so lots of windy hilly roads. I run above 5 m/kwh, with or without ac.)

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
640 Posts
FYI: if you do decide to just go ahead and install a 240V outlet in your garage, you can actually use the oem EVSE to charge on 240v.
it will double your rate (still maxes out at 12amps).

You can find many threads here about it and the adapters, but it’s been determined it is 240v compatible.
12 hours for a 50% charge serves most people fine. (y)

Glad you’re enjoying your Bolt!
we’re 2 years in ourselves and still love it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts