Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new Bolt Premier and have driven it about 300 miles. We are overall impressed. However, there are a few things that would have to be changed before we'd buy another one.

1) Front seat outboard bolsters. You've got to be kidding me. I'm 6'3" and about 240, not small but not obese. I've got head room and leg room to beat the band. Butt, the seat bottoms on the driver and passenger side are simply flawed. What happens is the stitching on the door-side (outboard) seat bolster cuts into one's butt and thighs when seated for any length of time. It's not the plastic surround or "bucket" of the seat that is making contact with my derriere, but rather the stitching, because the outboard seat bolster simply is not large enough and does not go out far enough towards the doors prior to the edge stitching. In other words, there is no place to sit but on the stitching.

Someone's head needs to roll on this booboo. However, it seems it would be easy to fix. Simply pony up for a bit more fabric and stuffing, and make the outboard bolsters as big as they should be.

If this is not corrected, what is going to happen is the stitching is going to wear out prematurely, because it gets such a work out with each seating. Bolsters are already notorious places for early seat wear. This flaw needs to be fixed now!

By the way, the rest of the seat is pretty comfortable. No complaints about the seat back, bottom, or inboard (toward the console) bolster.

My other minor rant issue is not in the interior, but rather has to do with the low beam headlights. When on low beam, our car's visuals makes the night ahead look like there's a shaded visor out over the top half of the windshield. To give you an example of our concerns, we live in an area where there is often livestock on or near the roads. We look for eye shine next to the road, and sometimes need to see the landscape a bit higher than dead straight ahead. These low beam lights completely obscure items that may be a bit higher than headlight height, and also make it tough to see things on the periphery. I'd like to hear from others, as this is so bad it almost makes me thing our car has some sort of defect. And, when you turn the bright light on, it all goes away.

Okay, rant #1 and #2 complete. Otherwise, seems like a great car so far. Our range performance is way above our expectations. On up and down, two lane highway trips, our battery range loss is less than half of the distance of our trips. In other words, take a 100 mile trip, leave with 200 miles of range showing, and return to the starting point with 150 miles of range left. Some trips, depending on road topography, even better range performance. A regeneration phenomenon!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Could you perhaps take a photo of the low-beam output so we can get a full visual on what your experiencing?? Would running the high beams in those certain situations pose much of an issue ?? Possibly a change of bulbs even ?

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
My other minor rant issue is not in the interior, but rather has to do with the low beam headlights. When on low beam, our car's visuals makes the night ahead look like there's a shaded visor out over the top half of the windshield. To give you an example of our concerns, we live in an area where there is often livestock on or near the roads. We look for eye shine next to the road, and sometimes need to see the landscape a bit higher than dead straight ahead. These low beam lights completely obscure items that may be a bit higher than headlight height, and also make it tough to see things on the periphery. I'd like to hear from others, as this is so bad it almost makes me thing our car has some sort of defect. And, when you turn the bright light on, it all goes away.
You may need to aim your headlights a little higher. They are adjustable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What happens is the stitching on the door-side (outboard) seat bolster cuts into one's butt and thighs when seated for any length of time. It's not the plastic surround or "bucket" of the seat that is making contact with my derriere, but rather the stitching, because the outboard seat bolster simply is not large enough and does not go out far enough towards the doors prior to the edge stitching. In other words, there is no place to sit but on the stitching.
Please allow me to disagree. I am 6'-2" tall, weigh 313 lbs. and have a large skeletal frame. The bottom of the front seat frames (both metal & plastic) in my Bolt LT are too narrow and not padded enough. As you can see I am forced to sit on the hard plastic surrounding the driver's seat. I not only blame Chevrolet for this design flaw, but even more so the dealer who sold me my Bolt and took my $42K.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I’d lease another Bolt, but I’m afraid that without the $7,500 tax credit I won’t be able to afford one. By the time my lease is up in 2020 GM will be way past the 200k car cutoff.

I don’t have any issues with the seats. They’re thin and narrow and cheap, but I’m also thin and narrow and cheap, so I fit pretty well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's a (very?) small car. If the center console went, the seats could be larger but then other folks would be unhappy about that.

Engineering trades are a b---h. Something's always gotta give.

I'm 6'2.5", hovering between 195 and 205 depending on the current wine-beer ratio and find the car comfortable for long drives. My personal seating quibble isn't about the journey but the start and end; the plastic upholstery support frame of the seat digs into thighs when getting in and out.

[Agree on projection headlamps. They're awful for oncoming drivers as well. Hopefully there is a rational reason for this choice other than keeping up with the gew-gaws. Profile for wind?]

·
Registered
786 Posts
"If this is not corrected, what is going to happen is the stitching is going to wear out prematurely, because it gets such a work out with each seating. Bolsters are already notorious places for early seat wear. This flaw needs to be fixed now!

You can either buy the seats of another GM model, such as the Chevy Sonic, or wait until the parts for the 2019 Bolt EV arrive at your dealer. The first option is quicker and cheaper since you wanted it "fixed now".

·
Registered
574 Posts
I installed Wet Okole seat covers. These provide protection for the cheap fabric seats and provide a little more padding, while raising the seat height about a half an inch. While it doesn't seem like much, the seating comfort seems like a significant improvement to me. The Bolt has HUGE headroom: I still have about four inches between the top of my noggin and the roof liner.

I use my Bolt almost exclusively for my 17 mile commute (each way) and local trips, so I can't comment about comfort on long trips.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would buy another Bolt, next time I would buy a Premier just for the Bose radio and the gadgets that come with the higher trim level.

It would be nice if they sold the options separately again.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm the opposite. Next time I would wait it out for the base model. I took the only one that was in stock. I don't really like the Premier froofoola. Well the easy to wipe off seat surfaces are nice.

I'm also with TimBolt, probably not getting another one without the incentives.

·
Registered
356 Posts
shows how to add additional padding to the seat bottom, making it flatter so that those who find the bolsters too narrow will find it less of an issue.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Wait, what? OP added another "t"? Oh man, the pun is fun in this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts