Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

361 - 369 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
...the main issue is not engine size or weight of the vehicle, but size and shape of the vehicle itself.
The weight is important for ICE vehicles that are driven in stop-and-go traffic. It takes energy to accelerate that mass and you get nothing in return when you stop. The more often you have to do it relative to your trip length, the bigger a factor it is.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
The weight is important for ICE vehicles that are driven in stop-and-go traffic. It takes energy to accelerate that mass and you get nothing in return when you stop. The more often you have to do it relative to your trip length, the bigger a factor it is.
Didn't say it's unimportant, just said it's hardly important compared to the other factors. Someone that regularly battles stop and go traffic in a heavy vehicle is spending a larger percentage of energy accelerating the vehicle. The average trip doesn't expend most energy on acceleration though, but instead in overcoming aerodynamic drag (and to a lesser extent, rolling resistance). I'd be surprised if more than about 5% of energy is spent on acceleration events. I can't even tell the difference in fuel economy when my truck has a yard of gravel in the bed (over 2,000 lbs). It may even get slightly better fuel economy due to lowering the height of the truck (reducing frontal area) and filling in the cavity of the bed.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I can't even tell the difference in fuel economy when my truck has a yard of gravel in the bed (over 2,000 lbs). It may even get slightly better fuel economy due to lowering the height of the truck (reducing frontal area) and filling in the cavity of the bed.
It would be an interesting experiment. My gut tells me that an extra ton of weight is going to negatively impact rolling resistance, but how much is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I paid $27400 out the door for my loaded 2020 Bolt LT 3 weeks ago, I don't think there is a better bargain anywhere in the automotive market,period. And not just me-many others are taking advantage of the great deals again this month. I couldn't be happier with the deal OR the car!
about that 2020 Bolt LT, how is it? I was deciding between a 2020 LT and a 2019 Premier and decided to go with a 2019 Premier fully loaded for $27,000.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
It would be an interesting experiment. My gut tells me that an extra ton of weight is going to negatively impact rolling resistance, but how much is anyone's guess.
It certainly would, and increasing weight by that much justifies adding tire pressure, which would partially offset the increased rolling resistance. Truck tire pressure is given as a range depending on how loaded it is. With no load, it's a harsh ride at max tire pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
about that 2020 Bolt LT, how is it? I was deciding between a 2020 LT and a 2019 Premier and decided to go with a 2019 Premier fully loaded for $27,000.
Since starting this thread a few weeks ago, GM has made announcements regarding their roadmap for the Bolt and upcoming Bolt-based EUV. I think in light of those announcments, GM decided to blow out all the Bolts they can, including the 2020's, as the 2021 sounds like it will have a lot of the improvements many have been calling for (better seats, more upscale interiors, perhaps more advanced driving aids such as Supercruise). This will definitely make the existing Bolts, even including the 2020's look not nearly as attractive and I think GM realized this, hence the immediate Fire Sale on a new model. I applaud GM for these upcoming changes, as I truly believe that these types of moves will make the Bolt a much more viable car for widescale adoption.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm liking it very much after 6 weeks. Leather seats aren't important to me in South Florida. The added range is nice to have compared to the 2019,but it hasn't been used yet as my longest trip was 156 miles driving it home from the dealer. I never shopped Premiers but that sounds like a good deal for one.Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Since starting this thread a few weeks ago, GM has made announcements regarding their roadmap for the Bolt and upcoming Bolt-based EUV. I think in light of those announcments, GM decided to blow out all the Bolts they can, including the 2020's, as the 2021 sounds like it will have a lot of the improvements many have been calling for (better seats, more upscale interiors, perhaps more advanced driving aids such as Supercruise). This will definitely make the existing Bolts, even including the 2020's look not nearly as attractive and I think GM realized this, hence the immediate Fire Sale on a new model. I applaud GM for these upcoming changes, as I truly believe that these types of moves will make the Bolt a much more viable car for widescale adoption.
Nor will you see loaded Bolt LTs out the door for $27400 either.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When considering the 2021 Bolt with the updates, I believe it is best to think of it as another trim level above the Premier. I hope that the MSRP will be reduced by $5k. But, that would still make it $5k more expensive than a 2020 Premier with the deals. Yes the seat will be better, but unless you are going on a lot of long trips, the current seats are fine, and for those occasional trips, you can always bring along a seat cushion. So, for awhile, there will be 3 trim levels, each $4-5K apart. You must ask yourself what trim level is the best value for the price for you, and let that be your guide. I don't think we will initially see the deep discounting for the 2021 model.

361 - 369 of 369 Posts