Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike my last car (2003 Jetta) the Bolt has no physical keys, just a fob. Not sure whether the fob has a battery or is just an RFI. If it fails and you are in the wilderness, what's up with that?:eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
there is a hidden key in the fob, see manual, it comes out of the silver part, when you press a small button on the side of the fob. then the key goes into a small hole under the door handles.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a hidden key in the fob, see manual, it comes out of the silver part, when you press a small button on the side of the fob. then the key goes into a small hole under the door handles.
Thanks, haven't read the manual cover to cover yet. Like a secret handshake. Photo below. So does the Bolt then recognize the fob through RFI if the fob's battery is dead?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Unlike my last car (2003 Jetta) the Bolt has no physical keys, just a fob. Not sure whether the fob has a battery or is just an RFI. If it fails and you are in the wilderness, what's up with that?:eek:
As mentioned, the fob includes a physical key that can be used to unlock the door. To start the car when your key fob's battery is dead you place the fob in a special location underneath the center console as described on page 38 of the owner's manual. There's a reader down there that can query the passive transponder in the key fob to verify that it's authorized to start the car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They'll never have no physical key on something like this. For the simple fact, if that battery dies in a really inconvenient situation, you're gonna have some real upset people. There always need to be an alternate way to get in there

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 KIA that does not have a physical key to start the car. You have to put the FOB on the starter button to start the car if the battery dies.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As mentioned, the fob includes a physical key that can be used to unlock the door. To start the car when your key fob's battery is dead you place the fob in a special location underneath the center console as described on page 38 of the owner's manual. There's a reader down there that can query the passive transponder in the key fob to verify that it's authorized to start the car.
OK, I guess I have to read the manual cover to cover. Glad to know I won't be stranded in the forest with a dead fob.:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
As mentioned, the fob includes a physical key that can be used to unlock the door.
Has anyone gotten this to work? I've read the instructions in the user manual but I still don't understand how it's supposed to work.

The manual says:

To access the key lock cylinder, insert the key into the slot on the
bottom of the door handle. Open the handle and pry the cover off. Replace the cover by snapping on the tabs.

I put the key up into the slot... it doesn't go in very far and nothing seems to really happen. The next part is a bit of a mystery to me, which part is the cover that I am supposed to pry off? Anyone have a picture of what it looks like after it's off?

I'd like to be able to slide the physical key out of the fob to take with me while surfing without worrying about the fob (may put the fob in a faraday case to keep it inactive inside the car).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Found a video of the process for a Chevy Cruze which looks like the same mechanism. Will try it tomorrow on the Bolt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some more info now that I've done this on the Bolt.

The purpose of putting the key into that little slot is just to pry off the cap. The key doesn't actually fit into anything. Anything that fits into that slot would work.

It pries off very easily and pops back on very easily too.

The faraday case is not necessary. If you put the fob inside the car, then lock the door with the physical key, you cannot open the doors by pressing the button on the door handle. You have to use the key.

So for surfing/swimming the solution is simple. Remove the hard key, leave the electronic fob inside the car, lock the doors with the physical key and take it with you.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Makes me wonder if most car thieves know how to pop off the cap to get at the key hole. Btu good suggestion to leave the fob in the Bolt for water activities.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Makes me wonder if most car thieves know how to pop off the cap to get at the key hole. Btu good suggestion to leave the fob in the Bolt for water activities.
I'm sure thieves do know about the caps, but you still need the key to unlock the door, so the Bolt is no more, or no less secure than any other car with a lock cylinder locking the door. If they really want your car they will have it. If they want the things in your car, they can always break a window and have it. All we can do is not make it easy for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Video showing how to use physical key on Bolt (and more)

This video -
- shows how to use the physical key to get in your Bolt if the key fob fails, and how to start your Bolt if it reports that your key fob isn't present (but it actually is). Since these may be the result of a dead key fob battery, it also shows how to replace the battery.

My apologies that the silly ChevyBolt forum won't let me post that video as an actual link...

-Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts