Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
2,958 Posts
Have you ever consider sharing your high power EVSE on Plugshare for a desperate EV owner? Is this just asking for trouble?
Give away free electricity and someone will start to take and rely on it would be my fear. If you want that same Nissan Leaf in your driveway once a week costing you $5 each time or whatever, more power to you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just had my ChargePoint Flex hardwired to a 60A breaker last week. It’s ready for 48A charging.
No, I won’t share 😀
There are lots of DCFC stations nowadays.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I like to visit MI. Maybe I'll show up someday. :)

I can't use the 11kWh rate and I've peeked at some on plugshare for last ditch choices. Some seem to be going to places that may not be there. No phone to check.
A few do have reports like they were nice folks and we talked, had to call first.
Look in your area maybe for others and see the comments.

You can always share. Put in some phone like google voice number then if you luck remove it from app.

·
Administrator
4,916 Posts
If your EVSE is JuiceNet capable, it can be shared on EV Match for a fee. EV Match app requires payment (you set the price) to activate the unit remotely. So, no free ride worries.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,996 Posts
Mine is inside the garage, so no access. And because of the time limits I have from my utility for charging, it's unlikely I could offer a charge during a timeframe that the other driver needs. It's not that I can't charge in those windows, but I lose a significant credit on my bill if I do.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt with every possible option (it was the dealer show car)
734 Posts
No, my house is my castle, last thing I want is random strangers parking in the driveway and plugging in.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,856 Posts
In the early '00s, I was listed in a predecessor to Plugshare for many years. I had a first generation 2001 Toyota RAV4-EV at the time, and lived in Huntington Beach.

I got one call. Ever. The driver was from the valley, just north of Los Angeles, and his family was visiting friends in HB. Since the RAV4-EV used a $3k inductive TAL charger, they were few and far between, and HB was past half his range.

After calling and getting my permission prior to the trip, he dropped off the rest of his party at his downtown friend's place, and came to my house. He parked in my driveway, and plugged in to my TAL. He was going to call his friends for a pickup, but I just dropped him off at his friend's house, instead. (Short ICE trips are the dirtiest, after all!) He was profusely appreciative. His friends brought him back later, he introduced the family, we shook hands, and I never heard from them again.

Those were different days, when those few of us that drove EVs enjoyed a sense of camaraderie and trust. It was exciting to see another one on the road. We were, after all, "Influencers" of the day, but we didn't perform for a webcam. We furthered the cause.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Give away free electricity and someone will start to take and rely on it would be my fear. If you want that same Nissan Leaf in your driveway once a week costing you $5 each time or whatever, more power to you.
I am always willing to help someone out of a bind/pinch...

But like you, I'm afraid I would end up getting "Regulars" or visitors stopping by to take advantage of a free charge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts