Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is audio of sounds made by Bolt EV after level 2 charging. The charging from 60% to 80% was done in a garage with temperature of 85 F and after driving ~50 miles on day where high temperature was ~80 F. This sound is routine for my car during summer as most days in Raleigh area are 80's-90's and the car routinely is charged after a 35-50 mile drive. In other words, I hear this sound after the car finishes charging regularly.

The first 5 minutes of the recording is fairly loud and the remaining 5 minutes is pretty quiet. The sound is a little louder than normal as I had the hood up for most of the time but it is still loud enough to notice even with hood closed.

If your Bolt is making this noise after charging, I would consider it likely normal and you should leave it plugged in as it is cooling the battery and other components after the charge.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Even WAY before any of these battery fire recalls, temp fix, "final remedy", these noises were normal if the battery got too warm. See Battery conditioning. 27 C = 80.6 F.

I've personally hit it multiple times when doing long DC fast charge sessions (sounds at 2:25 of your video), esp. in warmer or hot weather.

I posted at Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV - Page 216 - My Nissan Leaf Forum a video I took at work of someone else's Bolt in 2019 when it was super hot in my work's garage. IIRC, it sounded within about 10 seconds of being plugged.

The buzzing is the AC compressor. The fan noise is just fan noise.

And, I've intentionally triggered it by plugging into L1 when ariving at home on a hot day or after a long DC FC session that heated up the battery. My target charge level was set to 40% and I was well above 40%. So, the car's green light was on solid and the car wasn't charging. Was drawing power to cool the battery. It also triggered within about 10 seconds of plug in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for posting that recording. I have never used a Level 2 or DC fast charger on my car. I would be freaking out if I heard that coming from my car. :oops:

I've charged (Level 1 12 amp) my 2020 Bolt in my 90F garage multiple times in the last month and have never heard any cooling noises. I keep expecting it but nothing happens.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is audio of sounds made by Bolt EV after level 2 charging. The charging from 60% to 80% was done in a garage with temperature of 85 F and after driving ~50 miles on day where high temperature was ~80 F. This sound is routine for my car during summer as most days in Raleigh area are 80's-90's and the car routinely is charged after a 35-50 mile drive. In other words, I hear this sound after the car finishes charging regularly.

The first 5 minutes of the recording is fairly loud and the remaining 5 minutes is pretty quiet. The sound is a little louder than normal as I had the hood up for most of the time but it is still loud enough to notice even with hood closed.

If your Bolt is making this noise after charging, I would consider it likely normal and you should leave it plugged in as it is cooling the battery and other components after the charge.

I live in Las Vegas I've had my 2017 bolt 3 months the first time I heard the noise it freaked me out it's really hot here when i start the car before I charge the car goes through it's cycle about five minutes I let it run lift my hood I don't no if it helps cool it down but it can't hurt I charge out side. It's cooling off here the last two days it hasn't done it.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Another way to confirm it is battery cooling/thermal management when the loud buzzing noise is going (and while it's ramping down) is to put your hands on the hoses connected to the coolant tank that is #3. The two hoses should be cool to the touch.

Also, to the left, there should be some pipes or hoses connected to a Mahle (https://www.mahle.com/en/products-and-services/commercial-vehicles/air-conditioning/) expansion valve. At least one should be hot and the other cold, possibly w/condensation on it.

When L1 and L2 charging for awhile, #5 should be pretty warm as that's labeled as the APM and OBCM (On-Board Charging Module). Think of it just like a wall wart or AC adapter for your phone or laptop. Those get warm to hot too when running or charging a device.

You will also likely feel hot air being pulled into the engine compartment thru the radiator.

I found my post from mid-2019 where I described my 1st experience with this while using a DC (not so fast) charger at Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV - Page 212 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts