Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is great for people who currently own an EV, especially if they have to drive a long way to get to their local IKEA. Only two spots though? I think this just points out how the world won't be so accommodating once EVs become more and more popular. There isn't going to be hundred of free charging parking spots offered just because there are more EVs on the road.

·
Registered
486 Posts
volta said:
...Only two spots though? I think this just points out how the world won't be so accommodating once EVs become more and more popular. There isn't going to be hundred of free charging parking spots offered just because there are more EVs on the road.
I think you're on the money, volta. As we get more really useable electrics like Model 3, Bolt, & next-gen Leaf, unoccupied public chargers are gonna' be scarce for quite a while.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sweet! With the Bolt's range, I really don't need to plugin when I'm shopping somewhere but free electricity is free electricity! I'll take what I can get and not complain about it!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I think you're on the money, volta. As we get more really useable electrics like Model 3, Bolt, & next-gen Leaf, unoccupied public chargers are gonna' be scarce for quite a while.
If so, it'll only be because people are too cheap to charge at home.

IMHO making the chargers free makes them useless, because they'll always be occupied.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sweet! With the Bolt's range, I really don't need to plugin when I'm shopping somewhere but free electricity is free electricity! I'll take what I can get and not complain about it!
I bet that with enough EV owners in a certain area it would be practical to propose to some stores, parkades, etc. that making parking spots EV friendly is equally beneficial. Not always do they see the whole picture.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There are two free chargers at the AMC theaters in Emeryville and during the week they are often free. I have used them several times, but since I am only driving about 500 miles a month and that costs me about $.03/mile it is only 15 bucks a month and one iMax movie is 16 bucks. Anyway, free is free, I guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, free chargers do attract cheap Tesla drivers :).

At nearby IKEA (Burlington, ON), there are 6 parking spots and and 4 (2 L2 and 2L3) charger connectors.... sometimes people are nice and plug you in, but it is never a case for Tesla folks, they usually don't plug you in when left your car waiting... and of course, most of them never check in on PlugShare...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's just more incentive for people to go to Ikea for those sweet, sweet meatballs. :D
But I agree, two spots aren't enough especially on weekends when the parking lot is full most of the time.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ikea food = **** good and cheap! I love it haha. I know people that go there strictly to eat and leave!

Ikea is always chock filled with cars so I can imagine those spots being eaten up real quick. That and people tend to spend a heck of a lot of time in Ikea (jumping on the beds, hiding in the closets and scaring people, etc.) so I wouldn't get my hopes up when going there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts