Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
This is my favorite, @you27 's idea in Post #4. I had a blue collar ready for the car when it arrived.

Registered
I posted my link to the $29 add-on charge port light, that I love, in this thread:

Registered
Didn't get this option on my new bolt, just picked up Friday night. More on that later.
But I could see the advantage of an illuminated charge port.
Anyone try this?:

Lighted port came standard on my Leaf and should have been standard on the Bolt. $450 is a bit pricey for something that should have been there to start with. But I guess it was 鈥渧alue engineered鈥 out.

Registered
Lighted port came standard on my Leaf and should have been standard on the Bolt. $450 is a bit pricey for something that should have been there to start with. But I guess it was 鈥渧alue engineered鈥 out.
That was my feeling exactly on January 3, 2017, when I leased my first Bolt EV Premiere and saw that I was paying $750 for a DCFC port that should have been there to start with!

It was made "optional" so that GM could market the entry level Bolt EV as "under $30,000" with the $7,500 federal tax credit and an MSRP of $37,495.

Registered
That was my feeling exactly on January 3, 2017, when I leased my first Bolt EV Premiere and saw that I was paying $750 for a DCFC port that should have been there to start with!

It was made "optional" so that GM could market the entry level Bolt EV as "under $30,000" with the $7,500 federal tax credit and an MSRP of $37,495.
And if they had made it standard it would have added what, $75 to production costs?

Registered
Didn't get this option on my new bolt, just picked up Friday night. More on that later.
Anyone try this?:

I got one and I like it. Came quickly, installed easily, and works as advertised. The doublesided tape holding it on seems a little loose, but to be fair I put it on in 20F weather. It will probably stick better once it warms up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted my link to the $29 add-on charge port light, that I love, in this thread:

yeah this looks pretty much identical to the one on Etsy.

Registered
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV LT w/ Driver Confidence and Comfort & Convenience pkgs
Anyone try this?:

That is the same charge port light I used on my EUV too. It works like a charm. Does exactly what you need it to do and required no wiring or alterations to the vehicle. Just a perfect solution for what I needed and it cost less than a tenth of the GM product.

Registered
2023 Bolt EUV
And if they had made it standard it would have added what, $75 to production costs?
Do you really think it would cost GM that much for parts and labor to install this on a car while it's being built? I'd guess it might add (including parts and extra labor) less than $10 to build it as part of the car. Adding it AFTER the car is built is more labor intensive, of course.

Registered
Do you really think it would cost GM that much for parts and labor to install this on a car while it's being built? I'd guess it might add (including parts and extra labor) less than $10 to build it as part of the car. Adding it AFTER the car is built is more labor intensive, of course.
Mine was just a WAG and was trying to give GM some leeway. Your's could be more on target. Sounds like a project for Sandy Munro so we can get an exact number. I just know I'm not paying $475 when I can use the light on my phone occasionally.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will say this, my fully loaded Premier (w/ S&S, without super cruise) came in at around $35,100. After the discounts I was able to apply the car was around $33,800. In my opinion that鈥檚 a ridiculously good deal for a car that is this loaded. And that doesn鈥檛 include any of the tax break incentives that I got on the sales tax, and will get via the tax credit.

It鈥檚 hard for me to fault GM for wanting to get a little bit of gravy by selling the illuminated port light as an extra add-on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts