Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I am a retired engineer--very picky about my cars. Last summer, I got solar for my house. (Bundled the cost into the house loan, no change in payment.) The solar has a Solar Edge inverter that has a level 2 charge port built in. Last month, I got a Bolt. I am quite happy with the combination. From here on, I am a zero-carbon person except for groceries and stuff. (My house is electric too.)
We have great places to explore here in Utah--the charge points can be far apart so I am glad for the long driving range. By the way, who holds the record so far for distance on a charge?
I am a little uncomfortable about venturing into the mountain byways without a spare. (Sharp rocks can cut tires.) Suggestions on how to manage this are welcome. /Ernie

·
Registered
468 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Regarding road trips, have you discovered the Plugshare app and/or ABRP ? Both are good tools for route planning. Regarding tires, yes, sharp rocks can damage tires, but I think it would be rare to cut a tire to the extent that it wouldn't hold pressure. Anyway, I think some people use a Chevy Cruise wheel/tire combo as a spare. I believe it will fit in the bottom well of the "trunk". You might want to search the forums for that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome! for a spare tire solution, google "spare solution site:chevybolt.org" and you will find some good history on what others have done. I personally carry fix a flat in the lower storage area and have a patch kit. Enjoy your new ride, it is a fantastic car.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
X2 on just sourcing a craigslist/KSL/U-Pik wrecking yard spare from a Cruise, Spark or several others with the same wheel pattern and back spacing. It will fit in the bottom of the rear compartment. At the wrecking yard, pick up a jack, operating handle, lug wrench and a battery-powered compressor flat fix kit.

We'll soon be visiting the Valley of the Saints, but not in our Bolt. The Bolt does everything one can expect from a BEV, but 723-miles of wide-open-intermountain-west in one day is still ICE. The 80-MPH speed limits on the highways out here pull down the battery way too quickly.

jack vines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts