Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive posted a few questions about charging the last couple of weeks. Well, here i go again. I have decided that I do NOT want to install a 40A circuit. I just don't think it would benefit me. Right now I am using the stock evse on a 240v 30 amp circuit originally wired for a hot water heater. Ive done the adapter thing, etc and I am getting around 11 miles per hour of charge with the portable cord limit set to 12 amps. Works for me right now. However, I still want to purchase a 240v Evse and keep the portable one in the car. Looking for a specific type. want one with adjustable voltage since I can only reasonably use it at 24 amps. That should bump up my charge rate to around 18 miles per hour of charge time. there are two "problems" to this for me. One: I don't want to spend the money on the 24 amp evse and not be able to use it when I eventually get the whole house rewired and put in a 50A line... two: the current 30 amp line is only the two "hot" wires. there is no neutral so I would have to use the existing wiring setup or stick with what I have. Ive heard Juicebox is a good one, but what are the amperage levels available and will I need the neutral to wire it at 24 amp? Sorry if I sound "not so smart" with electrical..

·
Registered
257 Posts
ive posted a few questions about charging the last couple of weeks. Well, here i go again. I have decided that I do NOT want to install a 40A circuit. I just don't think it would benefit me. Right now I am using the stock evse on a 240v 30 amp circuit originally wired for a hot water heater. Ive done the adapter thing, etc and I am getting around 11 miles per hour of charge with the portable cord limit set to 12 amps. Works for me right now. However, I still want to purchase a 240v Evse and keep the portable one in the car. Looking for a specific type. want one with adjustable voltage since I can only reasonably use it at 24 amps. That should bump up my charge rate to around 18 miles per hour of charge time. there are two "problems" to this for me. One: I don't want to spend the money on the 24 amp evse and not be able to use it when I eventually get the whole house rewired and put in a 50A line... two: the current 30 amp line is only the two "hot" wires. there is no neutral so I would have to use the existing wiring setup or stick with what I have. Ive heard Juicebox is a good one, but what are the amperage levels available and will I need the neutral to wire it at 24 amp? Sorry if I sound "not so smart" with electrical..
Are you under American electric standard or European electric standard?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Live in NC, USA so American
I don't understand how you have only 2 hot wires and no neutral or ground.... it is necessary to have ground for 240V EVSE to work properly.... and running 24 amp on 30 amp is OK for as long you have rated wiring. Only possible way is if your electrician has used ( considering you have metal pipes) as extension to ground. But this will be against electrical code... it has to have dedicated ground wiring coming from main box to water heater. I can explain in more detail if you are interested.....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would call 2 or 3 licensed electricians and get quotes installing a 50 amp box that gives you the best central place for charging.
I would recommend a portable 40 amp EVSE.
Do it right one time an be done with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand how you have only 2 hot wires and no neutral or ground.... it is necessary to have ground for 240V EVSE to work properly.... and running 24 amp on 30 amp is OK for as long you have rated wiring. Only possible way is if your electrician has used ( considering you have metal pipes) as extension to ground. But this will be against electrical code... it has to have dedicated ground wiring coming from main box to water heater. I can explain in more detail if you are interested.....
there was NOT a ground wire and I didn't understand either. I did add a ground, to an existing ground tap.....wait for it..... on my copper water line...sigh.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just my opinion, but I would call 2 or 3 licensed electricians and get quotes installing a 50 amp box that gives you the best central place for charging.
I would recommend a portable 40 amp EVSE.
Do it right one time an be done with it.
I do understand that. however, I live in a house built in 1953, code was different then and this house has only been owned my me since 1993. So, additions, changes, etc. getting an electrical inspection to get it up to code would involve practically rewiring the entire house, which eventually I intend to do.....have you priced an electrician lately. im skipping over the fact that the house is built on a slab and the attic has little to no room to move around in. Im very limited. then I would likely have to increase the service coming into the house, etc. Ive already had two electricians out here.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did add a ground, to an existing ground tap.....wait for it..... on my copper water line...sigh.
No, no, no, no, no, noooooo!!!!

If there's a fault that shunts to ground you're pushing 7000 watts of power in to that copper pipe before the breaker trips. Do you not see a problem with potentially energizing your water supply?!?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
42 Posts
One: I don't want to spend the money on the 24 amp evse and not be able to use it when I eventually get the whole house rewired and put in a 50A line...
two: the current 30 amp line is only the two "hot" wires. there is no neutral so I would have to use the existing wiring setup or stick with what I have.
One: You can use a 24 amp EVSE on a 50 amp circuit. It will only draw what the EVSE calls for. Just like now, when you're using a 12 amp EVSE on a 30 amp circuit.

Two: You don't need a neutral, just two hots and a ground. I'm sure you have that at the receptacle.

Also, if you're getting 11 miles of range per hour with a 12 amp EVSE, you'll get 22 with a 24 amp EVSE, not 18. I don't think you'll need to upgrade your supply circuit to 50 amps for your Bolt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, no, no, no, no, noooooo!!!!

If there's a fault that shunts to ground you're pushing 7000 watts of power in to that copper pipe before the breaker trips. Do you not see a problem with potentially energizing your water supply?!?
yeah. planned on a ground rod already. why would it not have had a ground? this is heavily shielded wire 10 g but no ground.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One: You can use a 24 amp EVSE on a 50 amp circuit. It will only draw what the EVSE calls for. Just like now, when you're using a 12 amp EVSE on a 30 amp circuit.

Two: You don't need a neutral, just two hots and a ground. I'm sure you have that at the receptacle.
Im guessing you arent understanding my point, If I had a 50 A circuit, I would use a 40 amp charging station. I have EXISTING 30 amp wiring and am not prepared at the moment to rewire the entire house to add a single circuit.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
184 Posts
You might want something like what I have. I got the Grizzl-E charger. It has dip switches in it that you can easily set to whatever amperage you want. I’m using it on a 30amp circuit (it is therefore set at 24amps) but it is capable of being set up to 40amps.

It’s a well made and durable unit, with a premium cable option for cold weather. It doesn’t have wifi and all those extras (but is also priced accordingly). I haven’t had it long but it’s been reliable so far and I’m happy with it. It was pretty well reviewed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might want something like what I have. I got the Grizzl-E charger. It has dip switches in it that you can easily set to whatever amperage you want. I’m using it on a 30amp circuit (it is therefore set at 24amps) but it is capable of being set up to 40amps.

It’s a well made and durable unit, with a premium cable option for cold weather. It doesn’t have wifi and all those extras (but is also priced accordingly). I haven’t had it long but it’s been reliable so far and I’m happy with it. It was pretty well reviewed.
yes, thats what I was looking for....now to alleviate the grounding issue

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
42 Posts
Im guessing you arent understanding my point, If I had a 50 A circuit, I would use a 40 amp charging station. I have EXISTING 30 amp wiring and am not prepared at the moment to rewire the entire house to add a single circuit.
I DO understand. You said if you got a 24 amp EVSE now, you wouldn't be able to use it when you upgraded to a 50 amp circuit. That's not correct. Also, I don't think you need to spend the $$ on a 50 amp circuit, when your existing 30 amp circuit will surely fill your car up overnight with a 24 amp EVSE.

·
Registered
257 Posts
yeah. planned on a ground rod already. why would it not have had a ground? this is heavily shielded wire 10 g but no ground.
Pulling single wire for ground from main breaker would not be hard unless your situation is difficult. Depending on soil and what type of humidity is all year round...ground rod would not be sufficient....copper straps 18 feet or more buried would be better... even at 24 amp steady it is a lot of energy. It would be nice if you can provide pictures of main box with cover removed and maybe pictures of wires leading to water heater....also junction box where water heater is connected...and I will give you best advice on your situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I DO understand. You said if you got a 24 amp EVSE now, you wouldn't be able to use it when you upgraded to a 50 amp circuit. That's not correct. Also, I don't think you need to spend the $$ on a 50 amp circuit, when your existing 30 amp circuit will surely fill your car up overnight with a 24 amp EVSE.
No, I was asking if there was one that would let me adjust down to 24 amps and still be able to use it at a higher amperage when i do upgrade my circuit.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
184 Posts
Also I drive an hour each way to work and back on the highway and have no problem charging my car up with the 24amp circuit.
I also plan to add a 50 amp service to the driveway at some point but that is more to be able to accommodate two EV’s than it is to charge our one faster.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulling single wire for ground from main breaker would not be hard unless your situation is difficult. Depending on soil and what type of humidity is all year round...ground rod would not be sufficient....copper straps 18 feet or more buried would be better... even at 24 amp steady it is a lot of energy. It would be nice if you can provide pictures of main box with cover removed and maybe pictures of wires leading to water heater....also junction box where water heater is connected...and I will give you best advice on your situation.
will do that. water heater is not there. It was removed about 20 years ago in lieu of a gas fired tankless. the 30 amp breakers were off and the wire was terminated with wirenuts and secured to the wall (also not code, i know). if I pulled a ground wire, why not just pull an 8/4 cable and install the 40 amp circuit. just bump up the breakers to 40 amp and I should be fine. although I know I shouldn't do it myself and I want to do it safely and correctly, I have too many other issues with the house and existing wiring to get a single circuit inspected. they did an addition long before I owned the house and rewired part of it. I have a breaker box( the original from the 50's inside in the hall and a larger box outside with breakers for Central AC water heater, dishwasher and some of the lights. I still have some wiring that uses 24 v low voltage switches for the lights.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts