Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I set my EVSE on 24A in summer and 32A in the winter time.... depending on your daily routine it is plenty of juice to keep you charged at 24A
Im doing Ok now with 12 amps. I don't travel far enough currently for it to be a problem, but I made a trip to virginia at highway speeds today and used up about half my battery. I currently drive about 50 miles or so a day now but am starting to tinker with instacart for some extra cash

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I installed a NEMA 14-50 A YEAR AGO. And since I had that, I figured I get a 32A EVSE for road trips...
If I had a 240V 30A in my garage, I would have used the OEM EVSE with an adapter then charge DCFC if I needed more range .
This is especially true with many more charge stations now vs 1 year ago.

Reactions: Jerry Duke

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I installed a NEMA 14-50 A YEAR AGO. And since I had that, I figured I get a 32A EVSE for road trips...
If I had a 240V 30A in my garage, I would have used the OEM EVSE with an adapter then charge DCFC if I needed more range .
my local area is sparsely populated with level 2 chargers. even fewer dcfc stations. the closest to me is about 15 miles away, although there is one at the local harley dealership between work and home. they charge 3 bucks an hour plus .25 per kwh. I have tried the pay ones as an experiment but before reading some of the threads about discharge level and temperature. I found it to be so very far from cost effective.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
42 Posts
I don't want to spend the money on the 24 amp evse and not be able to use it when I eventually get the whole house rewired and put in a 50A line.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
noted.....I didn't want to buy a one voltage evse and not get the increase. the word "the" should have been "a". probably auto correct on the macbook. I do know some chargers only have a few voltages they can use i.e 32 amd and 40 amp I want the widest range of use. SMDH

·
Registered
744 Posts
Amazing that I read this entire thread and no one answered your question.

Get a Tesla UMC. Charges up to 32A. Has adapters that adjust the current. You will need to get an adapter for your current circuit, likely a 14-30 since there is no 6-30 adapter. You can leave the neutral unwired and clearly mark the box "EVSE only."

The combination of the two will run you a shade over $300.

Of course it's for a Tesla. So, you would need to get an adapter to convert from Tesla to J1772 also. Currently the Tesla Tap is $139.

It's a bit of a pricey bundle but has some utility. The Tesla Tap gives you access to Tesla destination chargers. The adapter system makes the charging power adjustable.

I do worry about your wiring though. A poorly grounded circuit is an accident waiting to happen. Is the access to the wiring difficult? If not, then rewiring it make be a good idea.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
194 Posts
I see two good recommendations in this thread: The Grizzl-E and the Tesla UMC both allow you to set the charging amperage. Another point in response to your original post: I believe the 8/12A setting in the car only applies for 120V "Level-1" charging. So if you're running the stock EVSE (or any other EVSE) at 240V, it doesn't matter how you set that 8/12 option in the Bolt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I see two good recommendations in this thread: The Grizzl-E and the Tesla UMC both allow you to set the charging amperage. Another point in response to your original post: I believe the 8/12A setting in the car only applies for 120V "Level-1" charging. So if you're running the stock EVSE (or any other EVSE) at 240V, it doesn't matter how you set that 8/12 option in the Bolt.
i thought it strange too. i moved it from 8 to 12 amp and the finish time changed to sooner to complete. in the app, the option disappears but not in the vehicle inself. maybe since I am using the stock evse, it thinks it still needs that option. grasping here though

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Get a Tesla UMC. Charges up to 32A. Has adapters that adjust the current. You will need to get an adapter for your current circuit, likely a 14-30 since there is no 6-30 adapter. You can leave the neutral unwired and clearly mark the box "EVSE only."

Of course it's for a Tesla. So, you would need to get an adapter to convert from Tesla to J1772 also. Currently the Tesla Tap is $139.

It's a bit of a pricey bundle but has some utility. The Tesla Tap gives you access to Tesla destination chargers. The adapter system makes the charging power adjustable.

I do worry about your wiring though. A poorly grounded circuit is an accident waiting to happen. Is the access to the wiring difficult? If not, then rewiring it make be a good idea.

ga2500ev
it is difficult to access, but can be done. the biggest part is the hodgepodge of wiring over the years and codes changing. one of the electricians I called told me the inspector will check other things while there and could fail due to other things not up to current code. which leads to more costs...blah blah blah. my current goal is to rewire the house in a year or so. its paid for so I just have to set aside some funds. I would prefer to move, but having more liquid assets is more important that living in a better neighborhood. estimates are between 5 and 6 k to rewire without the wall repair needed afterwards and that is a very rough estimate. If I could find and electrician who would get me going in the right direction and check over my work before doing the service wiring, I could save a little.

·
Registered
258 Posts
it is difficult to access, but can be done. the biggest part is the hodgepodge of wiring over the years and codes changing. one of the electricians I called told me the inspector will check other things while there and could fail due to other things not up to current code. which leads to more costs...blah blah blah. my current goal is to rewire the house in a year or so. its paid for so I just have to set aside some funds. I would prefer to move, but having more liquid assets is more important that living in a better neighborhood. estimates are between 5 and 6 k to rewire without the wall repair needed afterwards and that is a very rough estimate. If I could find and electrician who would get me going in the right direction and check over my work before doing the service wiring, I could save a little.
I wish I'm close to you I would do it for free..... or try to find someone who knows how to get it done for not much money. One thing you want for sure making it safe if you ever going to use more than 24A EVSE. There are a lot of EVSE that can be adjusted all the way from 8A to 48A .... 32 A is more than sufficient for 95% of owners.....
And like some people suggested Tesla portable lv2 charger and adapter or something like Grizzly EVSE are called dummy because of no need for Wi-Fi but they have options to adjust current to whatever you like. Always consider 80% ratings.... example 30A in the panel 24A is max You wanna supply to EV....
If you want to make it future proof I would run wiring for 60A and have option to use 48A supply for EV when they become more widespread in the future...
You can still live with old house and wiring but you will have to keep in mind to never exceed main breaker rating. And try to invest or borrow infrared camera scanner to find any weak spots for loose connections or too much resistance that will start heating up bus bars or terminals. This should be done while there is load on wiring and at least 30+ minutes heavy user draw.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Where are you located I could teach you how to do it yourself by the code and considering that you are not afraid of Electricity it is not very hard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is not a adjustable EV charger since the higher the amps, the plug is different according to code. Your best bet is just to purchase a cheap charger that meet your needs and then after you upgrade your electrical system in your house buy one with all the bells and whistles. Here is one with the brand I am using and so far been working great. Amazon.com: MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 26 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charging Station with NEMA 10-30P (Update Version): Automotive

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
184 Posts

ga2500ev
I still with all of your needs, there is not a adjustable EV charger since the higher the amps the plug is different. Your best bet is just to purchase a cheap charger that meet your needs and then after you upgrade your electrical system in your house buy one with all the bells and whistles. Here is one with the brand I am using and so far been working great. Amazon.com: MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 26 Amp), Electric Vehicle Charger Plug-in EV Charging Station with NEMA 10-30P (Update Version): Automotive
the plug can be changed easily. As long as the breaker isn’t oversized for the wire. The Grizzl-E is available with two different plug options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish I live closer, Greensboro is 2 hours away from me. I am a electrician at my work, not license yet but I could help you since NC law allows people to do their own electrical installations. I just cannot do it for you, but since you already have a cable running it becomes easier to replace and do the job right. Any charger you buy make sure to look at the Plug requirements. Some EV chargers do require a neutral and a ground so do not require a neutral.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Some EV chargers do require a neutral and a ground so do not require a neutral.
Which ones require a neutral and a ground? Every EVSE I've ever seen wired with a 14-30 or 14-50 never required the neutral. The problem with not wiring it is not with the EVSE. It's plugging in something else that does require a neutral, like a dryer or an RV.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Which ones require a neutral and a ground? Every EVSE I've ever seen wired with a 14-30 or 14-50 never required the neutral. The problem with not wiring it is not with the EVSE. It's plugging in something else that does require a neutral, like a dryer or an RV.

ga2500ev
My Mustart 32 amp 14-50p does require a neutral. Actually after some investigation, I found out some people were using it without the neutral and causing it to overheat.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
184 Posts
My Mustart 32 amp 14-50p does require a neutral. Actually after some investigation, I found out some people were using it without the neutral and causing it to overheat.
Many, like the Grizzl-E have a plug that has a neutral wire as that’s what the outlet has, but inside the wire is literally it cut off at the end of the cable. So it does absolutely nothing.
Any EVSE that can be ordered with a either plug style should not have any use for a neutral.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a portable 32A that starts at 12A when first energized. You shake it to go through 12/16/24/32A. The shaking thing is annoying but it generally works. My real complaint was that the handle cord was too short, but I bought a longer cord and replaced the original one, I think it's a 30ft cord. Technically a violation of the spec but I've had the new cord just barely reach before so I was pretty glad. I have a handful of adapters for the 14-50 plug but haven't used many of them as I end up charging less in random spots than I originally anticipated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's certainly true, but we don't have the pricing structure standardized and reasonable.

I've checked out a few CCS/SAE charging stations in Virginia and the DC Metro area, and it seems to me that if you have to resort to using these on a regular basis, you've basically blown the EV cost benefits to ****.

240 volt, 32 amp, 7.5 kW charging at home seems to be the sweet spot.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts