Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure we all received this email this morning from GM regarding the battery replacements:

Bolt Action,

We are grateful for your patience as we work to advance solutions for your Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV. Our team is diligently working on solutions to address key concerns we know you are having during this time.

Initial replacement battery modules for Bolt EVs and Bolt EUVs have begun shipping to certain Chevrolet EV dealers. If your battery was manufactured during specific build timeframes where we believe battery defects appear to be clustered, you will be among the first to be scheduled for repair. Once your replacement battery modules are available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment. Once service is complete, your battery will be covered by an 8‑year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty.1

The battery module repair will take approximately two days to complete, and we will provide courtesy or rental vehicle transportation to you during the replacement procedure. Your dealer will have more details regarding transportation options. The service will be performed by Chevrolet dealer technicians who are specially trained in EV service and who have received detailed instructions on completing these hardware repairs.

We are also on track to begin roll out of a new advanced diagnostic software by mid-November. Once your software is available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment to have the software installed. The diagnostic will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EV and EUVs by: monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged batteries for replacement. It is our intent that further diagnostic software will allow customers to return to a 100% state of charge once all diagnostic processes are complete.

In the meantime, please look out for follow-up communications with an update on your vehicle. For any additional questions visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall or contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday, from noon – 9 p.m. ET) or contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and loyalty as we continue our journey to an all-electric future.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
Sure did. 2017 Bolt. edit: sure glad I skipped the last update. Hopefully the next one is better.
The first fire recall software patch limited SoC to 90%, the second one, which I did get, doesn't limit SoC at all, but monitors the battery for bad relays and BMS, and watches cell voltages and temperatures to set off the fire alarm.

The next one will be limiting your SoC to 80% initially. I prefer the last one.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
231 Posts
I received it as well. This is the first communication I've even received from GM, other than a post in my user account if I log into MyChevrolet.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
226 Posts
I don't get any email from GM. Do I need to sign up other than the My Chevrolet web page?

I did get a snail mail message about the recall

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The battery module repair will take approximately two days to complete, and we will provide courtesy or rental vehicle transportation to you during the replacement procedure.
Looks like they are still only promising module replacement in existing packs, rather than the faster replacement with complete new or refurbished packs that a recently described service document lists as a 4.5 to 5.5 hour procedure, at least for initial replacements.

Of course, the availability of courtesy or rental vehicles can be an issue in some areas.

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
The next one will be limiting your SoC to 80% initially. I prefer the last one.
I have seen conflicting reports of 80% and 90%, not sure which is accurate.

There are also some of us who speculated the upcoming update would be a single one, that upon a history of diagnostics would restore 100% target charge functionality as Hyundai did. This latest communication seems to indicate multiple updates at the dealer are in our future, they continue with confusing language around that point, so likely they are not entirely certain which way they will go.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sure did. 2017 Bolt. edit: sure glad I skipped the last update. Hopefully the next one is better.
Why? It did no harm other than slow down the fast charge a little bit. And it removed some bad packs from use. Good is not the enemy of perfect.

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Looks like they are still only promising module replacement in existing packs, rather than the faster replacement with complete new or refurbished packs that a recently described service document lists as a 4.5 to 5.5 hour procedure, at least for initial replacements.

Of course, the availability of courtesy or rental vehicles can be an issue in some areas.
Right, the two day process suggests major surgery vs pack swaps.

The two day effort limits how fast techs can turn the fleet which may be paced with the rate they expect replacement modules to be available. While less efficient that a refurbish process for whole packs, it may be the dealer association pushed for the higher reimbursement rates by taking this approach. Given supply constraints from chip shortages, dealers are probably hurting, so this could help.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
226 Posts
To ensure you receive your Chevrolet emails, please add
[email protected] to your Address Book.
Thanks, but I have very close monitoring of my in box and spam box (I run my own mail server) and I am really not getting anything from them. I have sent an email to the address you provided and asked to be added to the mailing list, but truthfully I expect it to bounce.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
I don't see it that way. If you think they will be able to schedule you to arrive in the morning, and leave with your new battery in the afternoon, you are dreaming. People eat lunch, go to the bathroom, get phone calls, or have more than one thing they are expected to do. Do you think the person who will drive the forklift will just be standing around waiting for the tech to holler for help?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The 4.5 base time IS considered the time for a full battery replacement. They will not be opening the batteries up. But that also doesn't mean it is a plug and play scenario. The whole bulletin is 47 pages long. This time includes the entire dealer process, from unpacking the new battery (it will arrive in a crate) all the way to re-crating the old battery after it is done.

The two day process has much to do with ensuring dealers have time to properly charge the battery after replacing it. Each vehicle will only tie up a hoist for a single day if the work is done properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmm, I did not get the e-mail.
Only the concierge team and repurchase team have my e-mail address, i did not give it out at time of purchase to dealership (figured I would get spammed). I am still **** bent on pursuing a buyback/repurchase of my 2020 LT. Wonder if the MSRP swap and buyback/repurchase are still options...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got the email too... now I'd like to see them start sending out an estimated timeframe based on your VIN.

I have a 2019 Korean battery, but it'd be nice to know if I'm going to be before, during, or after winter given that I'm parking it outside.

I and another Bolt owner on my street are both running the cable under the garage door.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yep, gonna be a lump of coal this Christmas with Bolt degraded to 35-80% charging...
I have noticed that not just you, but many people are assuming that the software GM is hinting at will continue to restrict the low end AND high end charging? Why is that? Everything we have seen so far simply says 80%.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"If your battery was manufactured during specific build timeframes where we believe battery defects appear to be clustered, you will be among the first to be scheduled for repair. "

Have we been given the info to find this out ourselves via the VIN?

1 - 20 of 131 Posts