Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2011 Cruze Eco MT
118 Posts
Doesn't minimize the fact that this car and recall is a problem and a big inconvenience. Your original comment made it sound like any concerns should be dismissive since yes, there are any random things that can cause fires (no duh). A lot of haters on this forum about this whole recall honestly.

Just hope GM will just finish processing my buyback soon and I hope to not let the door hit my butt on the way out.
I read his response as just a reminder that, whatever the cause of a fire, it's up to us to limit the consequences as much as possible. We are fortunate that we have a detached garage, a long ways from the house.

The recall is not a big inconvenience to all of us. In my case, it's a minor inconvenience at the worst. And this car is not a problem at all for me, in fact it's the best car I've ever owned. I hope your buyback is completed soon, since for you, this is a major problem.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The recall is not a big inconvenience to all of us. In my case, it's a minor inconvenience at the worst. And this car is not a problem at all for me, in fact it's the best car I've ever owned. I hope your buyback is completed soon, since for you, this is a major problem.
Same here, somewhat surprised at the number of people apparently jumping ship with a buyback, but to each his own, everyone's got a different situation and perceives the incredibly small risk differently...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ya know, there are other things that can cause your house to burn down. So you need smoke detectors and an escape plan whether you've got a Bolt or not. If a Bolt fire causes someone in your house to die then I think there's a pretty sizeable portion of blame that belongs to the lack of preparedness.
I know people that can sleep through fire alarms going off right next to their heads. And they aren't deaf. But sure, lets blame them if their car burns their house down with them in it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
GM acknowledged the problem, is doing software updates/battery replacements, and has given us guidance to park outside among other things.

Personally, I'm going to continue following that guidance and then get the battery swap when the time comes. If for some reason you can't follow the guidance and are concerned about the fire risk, I would reach out to GM about rental reimbursement until your situation is resolved i.e. buyback or replacement.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Doesn't minimize the fact that this car and recall is a problem and a big inconvenience. Your original comment made it sound like any concerns should be dismissive since yes, there are any random things that can cause fires (no duh). A lot of haters on this forum about this whole recall honestly.
Yes, I totally understand that for a lot of people this entire fiasco is a serious impact on their lives. I'm very fortunate that it doesn't impact me that much, but I'm genuinely empathetic towards those for whom it does. It sucks.

But I was being totally serious about having a fire plan. You should have one, and if you do then you can take the risk of death from fire pretty much off the table.

I come from an IT background, and I've always believed in backups of your important data. People come to me when they loose data and ask how they can get it back, and in a lot of cases it comes down to "you'll have to recover it from your backups". It's sad to see the reaction to this when people realize that they haven't got any other copies of their data and their precious memories are gone forever.

For me, things like insurance and risk management plans (for fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, etc.) are the real-world equivalent of backups. They're the things you really, really wish you'd have done before the disaster struck, but now it's too late. To me it just makes no sense to be aware of and fear those risks and not take steps to mitigate them.

So in terms of the Bolt, I'm not trying in any way to dismiss the impacts of the recalls, but if you really think that loss of life is a possibility then there are steps you can take to mitigate that risk, and if you don't then I'm sorry to say it but I think part of the burden of responsibility falls on you.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I know people that can sleep through fire alarms going off right next to their heads. And they aren't deaf. But sure, lets blame them if their car burns their house down with them in it.
You're talking about blame, I'm not. I'm talking about responsibility. It was wrong of me to use the word "blame" in my original post.

I know that a vaccine may not protect me from COVID-19, but I still feel a responsibility to my own personal health and to that of my community to get vaccinated.

An unvaccinated person who contracts COVID isn't to blame for what happens to him, but we can all wish that he had taken precautions that had a good chance of making the outcome better.

The same, I think, applies to fire alarms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am sure we all received this email this morning from GM regarding the battery replacements:

Bolt Action,

We are grateful for your patience as we work to advance solutions for your Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV. Our team is diligently working on solutions to address key concerns we know you are having during this time.

Initial replacement battery modules for Bolt EVs and Bolt EUVs have begun shipping to certain Chevrolet EV dealers. If your battery was manufactured during specific build timeframes where we believe battery defects appear to be clustered, you will be among the first to be scheduled for repair. Once your replacement battery modules are available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment. Once service is complete, your battery will be covered by an 8‑year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty.1

The battery module repair will take approximately two days to complete, and we will provide courtesy or rental vehicle transportation to you during the replacement procedure. Your dealer will have more details regarding transportation options. The service will be performed by Chevrolet dealer technicians who are specially trained in EV service and who have received detailed instructions on completing these hardware repairs.

We are also on track to begin roll out of a new advanced diagnostic software by mid-November. Once your software is available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment to have the software installed. The diagnostic will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EV and EUVs by: monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged batteries for replacement. It is our intent that further diagnostic software will allow customers to return to a 100% state of charge once all diagnostic processes are complete.

In the meantime, please look out for follow-up communications with an update on your vehicle. For any additional questions visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall or contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday, from noon – 9 p.m. ET) or contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and loyalty as we continue our journey to an all-electric future.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet

I have not received the email yet. Is that still true for others?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have not received the email yet. Is that still true for others?
Yup. No emails for me either (in Canada) for any of my Bolts and I have consistently been getting all standard recall communications from GM Canada.

it’s also the Thanksgiving weekend over here so that may be a factor

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Correct... but they did say they will prioritize. If you've got a 2021 or 2022 you're at the bottom of the list, so in effect those vehicles are going to be driving around for many months with just the software update. Now think ahead to late 2022: you've been using the Bolt for a year, the software has you at 100% charging, no battery errors; and no reported fires in '21 or '22 MY cars. Betcha GM says, well, your battery is working fine -- no need for a replacement, we'll keep you at the bottom of the list. As soon as the software reports a problem, bring it in for a new pack.
Recalls don't work that way. Once GM submits their plan to fix a recall to the NHTSA (which they have done, as evidenced by the newest bulletins released to dealers last week indicating all vehicles will be getting new batteries), they cannot change that without the approval of the NHTSA. At this point, it is pretty much a guarantee that everyone is getting new batteries. All the software can do at this point is proactively identify some vehicles with problems and get them jumped ahead in line to prevent an actual fire.

Some people are just getting ridiculous about all this. Yes, GM hasn't handled this well as a whole, and the result has been something of a clown show. But right now, GM is finally offering people what they want: A FIX! And beyond that, they are offering a method to help prevent fires and minimize additional inconvenience until they can produce enough batteries, yet people are still acting as if this is some big setup.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Yup. No emails for me either (in Canada) for any of my Bolts and I have consistently been getting all standard recall communications from GM Canada.
I think the guys in GM Canada's office might be a bit like me: just going to sit back and wait a bit to see what happens before we pull the trigger.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Some people are just getting ridiculous about all this. Yes, GM hasn't handled this well as a whole, and the result has been something of a clown show. But right now, GM is finally offering people what they want: A FIX!
I'm cutting GM a lot of slack because I'm in the very fortunate position of not being badly affected by all the guidance. And because I have a 2017 Bolt which seems to be on the lower end of the risk spectrum.

But there are a lot of folks for whom this is a much bigger deal. People who own 2019 Bolts, who need to use them for long range travel, who can only charge them in their attached garages. I cut those folks a lot of slack too, because the way this whole thing has dragged out has been very, very hard on them.

This has been pretty much the worst case scenario for GM's first widely available pure EV - a battery problem that affects the whole fleet and which has been very difficult to diagnose. It's hard to imagine anything worse. I think they're honestly doing the best they can, but that doesn't mean that people don't have a right to be upset.

Yeah, it's frustrating to hear the same rants over and over again. But people gotta vent somehow.

Hang in there, guys, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for everyone that the light we're seeing at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Recalls don't work that way. Once GM submits their plan to fix a recall to the NHTSA (which they have done, as evidenced by the newest bulletins released to dealers last week indicating all vehicles will be getting new batteries), they cannot change that without the approval of the NHTSA.
There's nothing in recall regulations that would prevent NHTSA from approving a recall plan that would include software monitoring followed by module or pack replacement on an as needed basis.
The bulletins released to dealers said nothing about replacing all packs in all cars. GM's plan all along was to replace packs in the high priority "clusters" first, so of course the current instructions will focus on pack replacements.

To extrapolate the initial high priority pack replacements into "free batteries for all" is wishful thinking at this point.

At this point, it is pretty much a guarantee that everyone is getting new batteries.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I hope you are right but I won't believe it until I see it in hard writing from either GM, NHTSA or both.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There's nothing in recall regulations that would prevent NHTSA from approving a recall plan that would include software monitoring followed by module or pack replacement on an as needed basis.
The bulletins released to dealers said nothing about replacing all packs in all cars. GM's plan all along was to replace packs in the high priority "clusters" first, so of course the current instructions will focus on pack replacements.

To extrapolate the initial high priority pack replacements into "free batteries for all" is wishful thinking at this point.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I hope you are right but I won't believe it until I see it in hard writing from either GM, NHTSA or both.
GM issued the "repair" bulletins last week. There are two bulletins, one for the 17-19 group, and one for the 20-22 group. Before those bulletins are released, the NHTSA has to sign off on the actions being taken. They clearly have. Both have the exact same repair instructions, and both ONLY include replacing the battery (and a hose for the 17s). It isn't going to get any clearer than this that all Bolts are getting new batteries.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Well, I have a 17 that with a pack that has gone under 50% charge maybe 5 time since I bought it new and is charged with hill top reserver every night. The email from GM specifically states that the battery module will be replace and that I will receive an 8 year 1,000,000 warranty with replacement. I suppose it's just possible that GM would be dumb enough to try to replace it with a rebuilt battery with known good cells and include the warranty. I don't think even GM would be that stupid. Given GM's stated (many times) commentment to EV's, if they screw this up it could literally be the end of the company. This plan doesn't have anything to do with regulation, it's about survival.

·
Registered
64 Posts
GM issued the "repair" bulletins last week. There are two bulletins, one for the 17-19 group, and one for the 20-22 group. Before those bulletins are released, the NHTSA has to sign off on the actions being taken. They clearly have. Both have the exact same repair instructions, and both ONLY include replacing the battery (and a hose for the 17s). It isn't going to get any clearer than this that all Bolts are getting new batteries.
From NHTSA for GM Recall N212345940 (2020-22): "The remedy will be the replacement of defective battery modules in the recall population." This phrasing lines up exactly with what GM has been saying so far, which is the 2020-22 will only have defective modules replaced, not full packs.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
From NHTSA for GM Recall N212345940 (2020-22): "The remedy will be the replacement of defective battery modules in the recall population." This phrasing lines up exactly with what GM has been saying so far, which is the 2020-22 will only have defective modules replaced, not full packs.
You are slightly out of date. This is not on the NHTSA site yet, but this is the mailer being sent to customers currently. This is straightforward. GM will be moving each vehicle currently part of the 940 recall into 941 when their battery back is available.
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
396 Posts
You are slightly out of date. This is not on the NHTSA site yet, but this is the mailer being sent to customers currently. This is straightforward. GM will be moving each vehicle currently part of the 940 recall into 941 when their battery back is available.
View attachment 38194 View attachment 38194
Defective module only replacement can only occur if GM finds a reliable means of detecting said modules.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Defective module only replacement can only occur if GM finds a reliable means of detecting said modules.
That was how GM approached it initially. Based on the newest bulletins, it looks as though GM has thrown in the towel on that endeavor. They have listed ALL 2020-2022 Bolts in the same recall, and flat out said that battery packs are being replaced.

The decision to not open up the batteries is a good decision, IMO.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Same here, somewhat surprised at the number of people apparently jumping ship with a buyback, but to each his own, everyone's got a different situation and perceives the incredibly small risk differently...
Really you have to understand when someone started their buyback process. For instance, I did my request in July prior to the recall being expanded. My intent was to get into a 2022 that wasn't under recall... but then the recall was expanded and the process is still dragging on.

For others it's the lack of timeline and clarity from gm that's pushing them towards another EV. Some states have more EV vehicles for sale and thus there are options for people to move to a different EV, and while the buyback might not be a great deal they might qualify for the Federal $7,500 plus additional State incentives. If I could pick up $7,500 + $3,000/$5,000 State incentive I might be willing to take a "loss" on the buyback of a Bolt and get into a new EV instead.

Frankly I think it's practical as can be. Once gm said all batteries are potentially defective, why question making a move to a newer car without that risk... especially if it doesn't end up costing you money on the deal.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts