Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am sure we all received this email this morning from GM regarding the battery replacements:

Bolt Action,

We are grateful for your patience as we work to advance solutions for your Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV. Our team is diligently working on solutions to address key concerns we know you are having during this time.

Initial replacement battery modules for Bolt EVs and Bolt EUVs have begun shipping to certain Chevrolet EV dealers. If your battery was manufactured during specific build timeframes where we believe battery defects appear to be clustered, you will be among the first to be scheduled for repair. Once your replacement battery modules are available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment. Once service is complete, your battery will be covered by an 8‑year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty.1

The battery module repair will take approximately two days to complete, and we will provide courtesy or rental vehicle transportation to you during the replacement procedure. Your dealer will have more details regarding transportation options. The service will be performed by Chevrolet dealer technicians who are specially trained in EV service and who have received detailed instructions on completing these hardware repairs.

We are also on track to begin roll out of a new advanced diagnostic software by mid-November. Once your software is available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment to have the software installed. The diagnostic will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EV and EUVs by: monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged batteries for replacement. It is our intent that further diagnostic software will allow customers to return to a 100% state of charge once all diagnostic processes are complete.

In the meantime, please look out for follow-up communications with an update on your vehicle. For any additional questions visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall or contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday, from noon – 9 p.m. ET) or contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and loyalty as we continue our journey to an all-electric future.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet

I received that email a week ago, but did get a new one today.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 4.5 base time IS considered the time for a full battery replacement. They will not be opening the batteries up. But that also doesn't mean it is a plug and play scenario. The whole bulletin is 47 pages long. This time includes the entire dealer process, from unpacking the new battery (it will arrive in a crate) all the way to re-crating the old battery after it is done.
GM has been very clear: first, 2017-2019s will get all [5] battery modules replaced, which is not the same as replacing the entire pack, with all the peripherals; second, 2020-2022s will get defective modules only replaced. In all Bolts, GM will install a new software package of diagnostics that "will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EV and EUVs by: monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged batteries for replacement."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sure we all received this email this morning from GM regarding the battery replacements:

Bolt Action,

We are grateful for your patience as we work to advance solutions for your Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV. Our team is diligently working on solutions to address key concerns we know you are having during this time.

Initial replacement battery modules for Bolt EVs and Bolt EUVs have begun shipping to certain Chevrolet EV dealers. If your battery was manufactured during specific build timeframes where we believe battery defects appear to be clustered, you will be among the first to be scheduled for repair. Once your replacement battery modules are available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment. Once service is complete, your battery will be covered by an 8‑year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty.1

The battery module repair will take approximately two days to complete, and we will provide courtesy or rental vehicle transportation to you during the replacement procedure. Your dealer will have more details regarding transportation options. The service will be performed by Chevrolet dealer technicians who are specially trained in EV service and who have received detailed instructions on completing these hardware repairs.

We are also on track to begin roll out of a new advanced diagnostic software by mid-November. Once your software is available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment to have the software installed. The diagnostic will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EV and EUVs by: monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged batteries for replacement. It is our intent that further diagnostic software will allow customers to return to a 100% state of charge once all diagnostic processes are complete.

In the meantime, please look out for follow-up communications with an update on your vehicle. For any additional questions visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall or contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday, from noon – 9 p.m. ET) or contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and loyalty as we continue our journey to an all-electric future.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet
When I called the Chevy Concierge # I was told the whole battery is not being replaced but only the defective cells. And while I have a 2017, a check on the website of my VIN# indicates I am not yet authorized to contact my dealer.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I never get any of these emails, etc. I only get US mail contact (and that usually 1-2 months after I read here about everyone else being contacted).

How do I get on this email list?!
Go to chevy.com/boltevrecall
There is a spot to enter your Vin to check for recalls. After you put your Vin in, you can then choose to sign up for updates.
After getting this email, I called the concierge for the first time, and the man who answered was a nice guy, and did his best, but it was shocking how little info he had. For every question I had, he had to go online and look for an answer while we were on the phone. GM is not informing their own employees about what is going on with the Bolt recall.
The EV concierge team was designed to be a small, well trained, very knowledgeable team. This recall, combined with a general difficulty in hiring and keeping new employees, has resulted in waaay higher call volume than they ever intended. The result is the EV concierge team being more like a trauma unit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We are on the road to recovery and most of the Bolt owners will wait for a new battery as there are not many good options other than buying a used car that are now very expensive. Once the process starts it will still take over a year to get it all done as GM has to reopen the factory (needs batteries) that now sits idle and the payroll and other expenses are huge and LG is not paying those costs. IMO GM has to start selling new EVs as they need to show strength in the EV market as they have no other mass-market EVs. The Hummer and Cadillac are low volume, high-cost vehicles that don't even scratch the market. Tesla is poised to open 2 new factories and sell 2 million vehicles next year. I want GM and Ford to succeed as a native Detroiter and for the good of the environment. Competition in the auto business is key to innovation and lower costs. This mess is a setback but not unusual as Tesla has had their messes also and came thru with success. Buybacks are helping many but don't get too mad when we see batteries going to the factory and the new software as a partial fix to delay repairs. As a 2021 owner I know I am last on the list but I can deal with it as I'm retired and have another car for trips. Good things can come from this learning experience and should make the industry stronger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my case, it's a minor inconvenience at the worst. And this car is not a problem at all for me, in fact it's the best car I've ever owned.
I completely agree with Spicy's opinion above. Come what may, GM will protect its reputation, and we owners will receive the benefit. Meanwhile, my Bolts are the best-engineered cars I have ever owned, or driven. And I have owned and rented cars from every manufacturer, over the years. For 50 years, I generally avoided driving; but I enjoy driving the Bolt.

These lithium battery issues are in the nature of industrial growing pains, IMO. Most of us are suffering from uncertainty, just now. But it is becoming more efficient and reliable every year. This is, overall, a great time in car history.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,965 Posts
GM has been very clear: first, 2017-2019s will get all [5] battery modules replaced, which is not the same as replacing the entire pack, with all the peripherals; second, 2020-2022s will get defective modules only replaced. In all Bolts, GM will install a new software package of diagnostics that "will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EV and EUVs by: monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged batteries for replacement."
When I called the Chevy Concierge # I was told the whole battery is not being replaced but only the defective cells. And while I have a 2017, a check on the website of my VIN# indicates I am not yet authorized to contact my dealer.
There's updated information - GM's filing with NHTSA indicates full pack replacement for both 2017-19 and 2020-22. See the stickied timeline thread, specifically the October 7th update, for more details.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have not seen this email. Sigh. Will look now in spam etc. Also no longer getting replies to my email to CA Chevy on a buyback and Lemon law issues. I let them know I was in contact with CA Lemon law and with AG Banta's office. Crickets in reply.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,965 Posts
Have not seen this email. Sigh. Will look now in spam etc. Also no longer getting replies to my email to CA Chevy on a buyback and Lemon law issues. I let them know I was in contact with CA Lemon law and with AG Banta's office. Crickets in reply.
That's actually to be expected. Once you invoke an attorney, the other party (especially a corporation) will expect communication to go through the attorney. They'll keep anything you send, but they'll probably not respond to you directly any more.

Your attorney should have told you to stop communicating directly with the other party, because anything you say could be used against you. The attorney will want to control any information flow.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts