1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div class="truncate-wrap">
<div class="msg-wrap">
<div class="msg-wrap">Great News!
We are happy to announce we are improving security across our network and adding Secure Sockets Layer or SSL to the site. This means going forward you'll see Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS); the secure version of HTTP, the protocol used to send data between your browser and the website that you are connected to. This means all communications between your browser and the website will have another layer of encryption. We take the security of your data seriously so updates like this do happen from time to time. There is no downtime or major issues anticipated in this change. If you do notice anything about the site operating not as it should please make sure we are the first to know. You can send a PM to this account with details and we can investigate. Thanks, and if you have any questions about this let me know.
-Your Admin Team</div>

</div>
</div>

·
Registered
63 Posts
Phishing makes use almost impossible. Does anyone else have this problem? It only occurs on this site, never on any other part of the internet. When I try to do something on this site I usually get a small window which says: “Congratulations Dear Century Link Community LLC User. We are holding a New Years’s celebration [last week it said Christmas celebration] to loyalty users. Please click “OK” to claim your reward.” It has a “cancel” and “OK” links. I don’t click on anything. I have called Century Link and they confirm it is NOT from them. Obviously a phising ploy. The problem is that it locks up my screen. I have to go back to the Chevy Bolt.org link to free. Sometimes it locks up Safari and I have to do a hard restart to retain use of Safari. And it happens repeatedly during any session.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just yesterday, while browsing the site, I had a page load with three loud beeps. The page had the Microsoft Windows logo and claimed that my computer had become infected by a Trojan virus. The page also had a pop-up window with no ability to close it, asking to download an update.

I closed the browser from the task manager and my virus scanner indicated no issues.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Phishing makes use almost impossible. Does anyone else have this problem? It only occurs on this site, never on any other part of the internet. When I try to do something on this site I usually get a small window which says: “Congratulations Dear Century Link Community LLC User. We are holding a New Years’s celebration [last week it said Christmas celebration] to loyalty users. Please click “OK” to claim your reward.” It has a “cancel” and “OK” links. I don’t click on anything. I have called Century Link and they confirm it is NOT from them. Obviously a phising ploy. The problem is that it locks up my screen. I have to go back to the Chevy Bolt.org link to free. Sometimes it locks up Safari and I have to do a hard restart to retain use of Safari. And it happens repeatedly during any session.
It happens constantly on iOS, to the point the site is unusable, but I haven't had much issue on the Mac. It's hard to believe it's taken this long to get HTTPS working, but better late than never. I doubt that it will help with this problem but it's possible. If you make sure to have multiple tabs open before accessing the site, you can usually just close the tab with phishing attack.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Loosebolt. I too am using iOS on an iPad. Glad to know it is not “me” but systemic. I may check with Apple and if I get an answer, I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
579 Posts
These are delivered with the advertisement payload so HTTPS or not isn't a factor. Unfortunately the eutopia created by "innovators" (people who instantiate various online databases fed by us, the new low bar for "innovation") precludes the operator of this site from having any control over the situation. We dogs must eat what is put in our dish.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use Chrome with the free Ad-block add-on. Works great - site is quick, no phishing or add overload.

·
Registered
255 Posts
These are delivered with the advertisement payload so HTTPS or not isn't a factor. Unfortunately the eutopia created by "innovators" (people who instantiate various online databases fed by us, the new low bar for "innovation") precludes the operator of this site from having any control over the situation. We dogs must eat what is put in our dish.
This was my understanding also. I'd like an explanation (from Apple, yea, not likely) of why it's so much worse on iOS. Safari on the Mac Doesn't have these problems. I do most of my browsing on an iPad these days, but now must wait till I have a computer to use this site.

The fact that this junk is delivered as part of the ad payload doesn't nothing to raise my opinion of the general class of organization that serves ads.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This was my understanding also. I'd like an explanation (from Apple, yea, not likely) of why it's so much worse on iOS. Safari on the Mac Doesn't have these problems. I do most of my browsing on an iPad these days, but now must wait till I have a computer to use this site.

The fact that this junk is delivered as part of the ad payload doesn't nothing to raise my opinion of the general class of organization that serves ads.
I no longer use an iPad, but I believe you can still download Chrome and use it on an iPad. This may solve your problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
I use Mac OS and Safari on a Macbook Pro with no problems except slow to load pages. However I do you an ad blocker app. Likely this has spared me the agony of phishing attacks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Phishing makes use almost impossible. Does anyone else have this problem? It only occurs on this site, never on any other part of the internet. When I try to do something on this site I usually get a small window which says: “Congratulations Dear Century Link Community LLC User. We are holding a New Years’s celebration [last week it said Christmas celebration] to loyalty users. Please click “OK” to claim your reward.” It has a “cancel” and “OK” links.
I just encountered this problem yesterday while attempting to browse the forum with an iPad. Note, clicking "Cancel" or "OK" makes no difference. I finally gave up and switched to my Mac laptop.

Wish someone could advise on how to stop this blatant abuse of the forum.

·
Administrator
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just yesterday, while browsing the site, I had a page load with three loud beeps. The page had the Microsoft Windows logo and claimed that my computer had become infected by a Trojan virus. The page also had a pop-up window with no ability to close it, asking to download an update.

I closed the browser from the task manager and my virus scanner indicated no issues.
Need a little more info on this. Are you on mobile or desktop? What browser and operating system are you using?
-Philip

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Wish someone could advise on how to stop this blatant abuse of the forum.
People have already advised how to stop the ads. Use a browser with ad blocking such as Chrome. I've never seen a single advertisement.

I'm against false advertising such as the ad claiming the computer has been infected by a virus, but unfortunately there's no way to keep deceptive people from employing deceptive tactics. In the 21st century, people have to be suspicious of any message claiming there is a problem, and especially asking for information.

My dad got a call from someone saying they were with the IRS, and that police would be dispatched if the back-taxes were not paid immediately. He asked the guy to hold while he went to get his credit card. My dad set the phone down and just went about his business letting the guy hold until he finally gave up.

We're going to have to get a lot more clever, because the future is going to have much more sophisticated and deceptive tactics. What are we going to do when confronted by someone who looks and sounds exactly like someone we trust? That technology exists now.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
....In the 21st century, people have to be suspicious of any message claiming there is a problem, and especially asking for information.

My dad got a call from someone saying they were with the IRS, and that police would be dispatched if the back-taxes were not paid immediately. He asked the guy to hold while he went to get his credit card. My dad set the phone down and just went about his business letting the guy hold until he finally gave up.

Phone fraud is a huge problem with seniors, we younger folks have no problem telling scammers f-off, etc.... but seniors are more trusting because back in the day that kind of stuff never happened. I took my mom's CC away a couple of years back because I knew if someone called claiming to be her doctor, AARP, from her church, etc... and needed to update her CC info she would gladly give it to them.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
As I understand, the majority of CC fees billed to the business is to cover fraudulent charges. I wish they'd just make 2-factor authentication a requirement instead of passing the cost of fraud onto the business/customer. There will always be fraud, but we should at least make it difficult/risky.

I've met identity thieves before who admitted that once they got out of prison, they would continue doing identity theft because it was so easy, and easy to avoid getting caught as long as they weren't careless. They view the crime as victimless because the cost is so diffuse.

White collar crime is not dealt with seriously enough. Same with property crime; you call in and law enforcement won't care at all. They are busy dealing with domestic disputes and writing speeding tickets.

Even more OT, but last time I went to the local police station, an old woman spent 35 minutes complaining about a car that is often LEGALLY parked on the street near where she lives. They were way too nice listening to her complain about how she'd rather they didn't park there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Never happened to me. Running Chrome on Win7 and Win10 on several systems, with McAfee or Norton virus protection. Some Apple users think that their hardware and OS are immune to viruses and malware: this is not the case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts