Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been 5 months since I got my 2022 Bolt EUV and still don't have the charging system installed that was promised by GM, the electric contractor's they use are giving me **** about the 100 amp service I have in my house. Any advice.
Jim Umbarger

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, for sure, with only 100A available in the house, adding a 40A circuit (at minimum) could end-up being an issue depending on the existing panel load.
This probably explains why the electric contractor doesn't want to do it.

You won't have many choices (cheaper to costlier):
1- Use only 120v with the EVSE to charge your car at 12A ($0).
2- Install a charge controller that will determine if the panel load permits the charge station to operate (<$1000).
3- Upgrade your panel to 200A (>$1000).

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Its been 5 months since I got my 2022 Bolt EUV and still don't have the charging system installed that was promised by GM, the electric contractor's they use are giving me **** about the 100 amp service I have in my house. Any advice.
Jim Umbarger
You have two options:
  • upgrade the 100 A entry in the house
  • buy an EVSE that supports different settings of charging power and plug it in a 20A new circuit or buy a Clipper Creek LCS-20P EVSE and plug it in a 20A circuit.
I am in the same situation as you and 8 years ago (when I got my Volt), I bought a Clipper Creek LCS-20 EVSE and used it on a 20A circuit. It provides 16A to the car charging (3.6 kW) and it works for me just fine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I only have a 60 Amp service, so my EVSE is only a 240 VAC 16 Amp Clipper Creek unit. Yes, that limits me to only 3840 Watts of charging, but that is over two and half times faster than charging a 120 VAC. Realistically that is about half of a full charge overnight, but I rarely travel more than 50 miles per day, so it has no problem keeping up. So, the question for you is how many miles per day do you drive and how much time do you have to charge? If you don’t need too much, maybe a lower powered installation would do. If you need more, then a service upgrade to 200 Amps is probably called for, and I believe the new tax incentives might help with that after the first of the year.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have any of the contractors told you what they WOULD be comfortable installing? I use a 20A 240V outlet (NEMA 6-20) at my lake cabin to charge my Bolt with a 16A charger. This gives you approximately 3.5 kW charge rate, which means it would take about 18 hours to fully charge the Bolt's 60-65 kWh battery. If you've had your EUV for 5 months now, you probably realize that you rarely need to charge your battery from empty to full. A 16A charger would give you 35 kWh in a 10-hour (overnight) charge session, so you could comfortably count on replenishing half your battery capacity overnight.

The problem with this proposal is that the charger that comes with the Bolt does not allow you to charge at 16A. It only supports either 120V charging, or 240V charging at full power. Many people on this forum have said they like the Grizzl-E charger, which allows you to set it for either 16, 24, 32, or 40A charge rate. So you could get a Grizzle-E charger to use at home and set it for 16A charging from a 20A outlet. The Grizzl-E happens to be on sale at the moment for Black Friday, and I see they sell refurb units at an attractive price. You could carry the OEM charger in your car for "travel charging".

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What is your AC size? 2 ton?
Where do you live? Meaning, how often do you use AC.
What is your clothes dryer?
What is your house heating system?
Gas furnace does not really matter much as it has a blower only that my take maybe 10 A, but rather closer to 5 A
What else?
Range?
Any other large electrical appliances?

So, with all of this in mind - you can do the math and estimate how much current you may pull and see if additional 32 A will tip the 100 A.
The thing is - you pretty much never have all of them running at the same time.

If you have 100 A panel your house is not larger than 1200-1700 sq ft and has gas/oil heating system.

If your AC is 2-ton, it is less than 15 A.
Dryer, 25 A
Gas furnace (5 A)
Gas range (if electric range 50 A - hence if that was the case, the system would be more than 100 A to begin with)

So far we did not hit 50 A.
Car is 32 A.
Total of large loads : 25+15+5+32=78 A.
You have 22 A let for lights and other loads (keep in mind, it is 22 A @ 240 V, so 44 A at 120 V).

I would say - do not dry clothes if you are charging the car. Unless it is a gas dryer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What is your AC size? 2 ton?
Where do you live? Meaning, how often do you use AC.
What is your clothes dryer?
What is your house heating system?
Gas furnace does not really matter much as it has a blower only that my take maybe 10 A, but rather closer to 5 A
What else?
Range?
Any other large electrical appliances?

So, with all of this in mind - you can do the math and estimate how much current you may pull and see if additional 32 A will tip the 100 A.
The thing is - you pretty much never have all of them running at the same time.

If you have 100 A panel your house is not larger than 1200-1700 sq ft and has gas/oil heating system.

If your AC is 2-ton, it is less than 15 A.
Dryer, 25 A
Gas furnace (5 A)
Gas range (if electric range 50 A - hence if that was the case, the system would be more than 100 A to begin with)

So far we did not hit 50 A.
Car is 32 A.
Total of large loads : 25+15+5+32=78 A.
You have 22 A let for lights and other loads (keep in mind, it is 22 A @ 240 V, so 44 A at 120 V).

I would say - do not dry clothes if you are charging the car. Unless it is a gas dryer.
Unless he has a well. Some well pumps have a huge initial draw.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, for sure, with only 100A available in the house, adding a 40A circuit (at minimum) could end-up being an issue depending on the existing panel load.
This probably explains why the electric contractor doesn't want to do it.

You won't have many choices (cheaper to costlier):
1- Use only 120v with the EVSE to charge your car at 12A ($0).
2- Install a charge controller that will determine if the panel load permits the charge station to operate (<$1000).
3- Upgrade your panel to 200A (>$1000).
The panel in the garage has 30 amp fuses.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have any of the contractors told you what they WOULD be comfortable installing? I use a 20A 240V outlet (NEMA 6-20) at my lake cabin to charge my Bolt with a 16A charger. This gives you approximately 3.5 kW charge rate, which means it would take about 18 hours to fully charge the Bolt's 60-65 kWh battery. If you've had your EUV for 5 months now, you probably realize that you rarely need to charge your battery from empty to full. A 16A charger would give you 35 kWh in a 10-hour (overnight) charge session, so you could comfortably count on replenishing half your battery capacity overnight.

The problem with this proposal is that the charger that comes with the Bolt does not allow you to charge at 16A. It only supports either 120V charging, or 240V charging at full power. Many people on this forum have said they like the Grizzl-E charger, which allows you to set it for either 16, 24, 32, or 40A charge rate. So you could get a Grizzle-E charger to use at home and set it for 16A charging from a 20A outlet. The Grizzl-E happens to be on sale at the moment for Black Friday, and I see they sell refurb units at an attractive price. You could carry the OEM charger in your car for "travel charging".

My 16A Clipper Creek unit on a 20A 240V circuit does the job . Over-nite charge period is more than 12 hours as a rule , have never used more than that except when I return from the So. Ore. to S.F. CA trip .... don't get up early the next day anyway ...

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
The panel in the garage has 30 amp fuses.
I have three only use one
Sounds like you have the old screw-in fuses?

Is that panel in the garage a sub-panel? ( it must be but old electrical systems are occasionally on the bizarre side).

If the garage is fed by your main 100A panel, look at what the main has listed for “garage” and try to determine if it is a 240 or 120 volt line to the garage. If you can’t tell, take a picture and post it here.

You might have 240 volt to the garage and you might not. What feeds the garage should help in determining what your service is.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Then it shouldn't be a problem. Buy a Grizly unit and plug it in, set it to 30A and be done with it.
If it's a 30 amp circuit, set it to 24 amps charging -- 80% rule. There are plenty of good, adjustable amperage EVSEs out there... but not the one GM provides. Yet another case where GM should provide an adjustable EVSE with their EVs.

Clipper Creek makes a great 24 amp EVSE. Grizzl-e, Autel, and others can be turned down to an appropriate amperage.

Have someone install a NEMA 6-30 or NEMA 14-30 plug. You might need an adapter, depending on what the EVSE you choose comes with. That'll cost you $15-30 extra. Or they could hard wire it.

If you want to go this route, I have a couple of Autel units for sale that were only opened and plugged in for reviewing purposes. I sell them all the time. I also have about 10 or more 16 amp portable units if that wold work for you. Most of those plug into a NEMA 6-20.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In a similar situation here -- 100A main breaker was installed in the electrical panel. Turns out that my Square D panel is actually rated at 125A (continuous) though, the electrician said that this sort of derating was often done on older homes when 100 amps was, well, close to infinite. He replaced the main breaker with a 125A unit and installed a 50A 14-50 outlet in my garage. No problem with the permitting at all and everything works great with 32 amps, which is what I charge the Bolt EUV with, anyway. I'm on a EV-TOU plan so I only charge between midnight and 6:00 AM when nothing much is drawing current in the house anyway. No strain! Check your existing PANEL rating, it might be higher than the main breaker that was originally installed allowing you to put in a larger breaker!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jim Umbarger
It's over-hyped, you'll be fine if you can get it installed, unless you have some ridiculous draw (like a grow room). I walk past my meter every day en route from my car to my front door. Barely ever see over 3kW being pulled (and that'd have to be AC on and my wife cooking dinner w the electric stove). Over 240v, that's 12.5a. If you pulled 40 more than me, you'd be slightly over half the amount to trip breaker / blow main fuse.

One thing you should do though (and if you understand how household electricity works, forgive this msg, as it assumes you don't):
You have 2 supply lines, each providing 100A @ 120V. Things that require 240v (dryer, stove, new EV charger) bridge both of these. Your regular plugs don't. If my whole 3kW was being drawn from just one of the supply wires, it would be pulling 25A. The 240v charger, if pulling 40A, pulls 40 from each (since it's 240), so one wire would be loaded w 65A, and one w 40A. Neither wire is still remotely close to tripping breaker, but it would be wise to make sure you're interior circuits are evenly distributed between both sides of your panel. That way you'd be pulling (in this example) ~53A from each. This is essentially free for the ppl installing your charger to do. It's literally just moving a breaker or two if needed. No wiring change whatsoever.

For what it's worth, my century old house has only 60A service, and I charge my ev, run AC, electric stove & dryer. No issues, and since I can do math, I know I'm no where close to tripping my main. Your house has room for a whole 40A level 2 charger above and beyond what my service can supply, and I'm already charging my car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts