Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

(IN) MSRP trade

43K views 387 replies 43 participants last post by  TimSFL 
#1 ·
So far, so good. Ok, it's GREAT so far!!
Today I placed my order for a LOADED 22 EV LT2, in trade for my current 21 LT with near 1100mi. I am still at the early stage so I read, just have the 9xxxxxxxxx number, not the 6dig yet so who knows.
I was told to build my new Bolt up to the MSRP of my current 21 (40k), found out that the 22's with the price reduction from 21 model that I can't get to 40k,So a fully loaded out 22 LT2 with ALL add on's in blue came to $36800 per the order for the dealer gave me. So, for the 28k car I bought I "should" soon get a new 22 that would have cost up to 45k last yr, that's crazy, but ok with me :)
Went to my dealer with a build printout per my GM guy and had it ordered in short order... They called the GM guy and seemingly got both sides ducks in a row and told me as I left that it would be at least a couple mo for the new car to arrive (duh) and it would be not much different than a normal sale as far as signing off and just trade keys. This all started 9/17/21 from the 1st email wanting the basics (buyers order, license, registration, ect). If this goes through like it seems I am frikin' amazed as I have read SO many horror stories from others....
Don't want to bite the hand per se but hope, and plan to ask if the offer of the 240v install still would apply with this kind of deal.
I will follow up on this.
Funny that if not on here, I would not have known to ask for the swap and might have been a LONG time to just get a "maybe" battery scramble.

See less See more
#4 ·
Today I placed my order for a LOADED 22 EV LT2, in trade for my current 21 LT with near 1100mi. I am still at the early stage so I read, just have the 9xxxxxxxxx number, not the 6dig yet so who knows.
I was told to build my new Bolt up to the MSRP of my current 21 (40k), found out that the 22's with the price reduction from 21 model that I can't get to 40k,So a fully loaded out 22 LT2 with ALL add on's in blue came to $36800 per the order for the dealer gave me. So, for the 28k car I bought I "should" soon get a new 22 that would have cost up to 45k last yr, that's crazy, but ok with me :)
Went to my dealer with a build printout per my GM guy and had it ordered in short order... They called the GM guy and seemingly got both sides ducks in a row and told me as I left that it would be at least a couple mo for the new car to arrive (duh) and it would be not much different than a normal sale as far as signing off and just trade keys. This all started 9/17/21 from the 1st email wanting the basics (buyers order, license, registration, ect). If this goes through like it seems I am frikin' amazed as I have read SO many horror stories from others....
Don't want to bite the hand per se but hope, and plan to ask if the offer of the 240v install still would apply with this kind of deal.
Funny that if not on here, I would not have known to ask for the swap and might have been a LONG time to just get a "maybe" battery scramble.
I am also about the same timeframe as your buyback status, not yet the 6 digits case number. I haven't heard from my Case coordinator for a week.
So you will surrender your car once the new car you ordered comes right?

#12 ·
I am also about the same timeframe as your buyback status, not yet the 6 digits case number. I haven't heard from my Case coordinator for a week.
So you will surrender your car once the new car you ordered comes right?
Yes, when new car is ready we trade off. They do a collateral swap with the bank so my payment just carries on till paid as it was from the start.

Reactions: utsug
#5 ·
I was told to build my new Bolt up to the MSRP of my current 21 (40k), found out that the 22's with the price reduction from 21 model that I can't get to 40k,So a fully loaded out 22 LT2 with ALL add on's in blue came to $36800 per the order for the dealer gave me.
How were you able to order the 2022 model? Aren't they under a stop sale order? I just started the process and asked for a swap for my fully loaded 2021 Premier with 3k miles on it... sent all the info and waiting for them to get back to me. I'd like to swap into the 2022 EUV... and due to low mileage I could probably get the fully loaded trim as well if I was given the option to order it.

#13 ·
How were you able to order the 2022 model? Aren't they under a stop sale order?
Now that LG can make assuredly non-defective batteries, any new Bolt EVs and EUVs that are made from now on should not be part of the recall, even though pre-existing inventory is under recall and stop-sale.

Of course, how GM allocates new battery production between new car production and replacement for recalled cars is another thing entirely. If dealer service departments are the bottleneck (i.e. battery production is faster than dealer service departments can remove and replace them), then any excess can go to new car production. But if battery production is the bottleneck, then GM has to choose between remedying existing cars and new car production with what batteries are produced, and whatever choice it makes will be criticized by someone.

#6 ·
I started July 27th and still waiting on an offer. Am I reading this correctly that you haven't yet been made a repurchase or MSRP swap offer? If so, who told you to place an order (the EV concierge or your dealership)?

I tried to use the website the other day but it wouldn't let me build a Bolt EV or EUV to check on pricing, but I haven't attempted to do this at the dealership.Figured I wanted to look through the options. I drove a 2022 EUV and sat in the EV, but didn't like a few things (I hate that they removed the silver unlock buttons on the rear doors) when they first hit the lots. Now I don't recall the feature packages well enough to know what it is I would order if my swap gets approved.

#8 ·
Don't want to bite the hand per se but hope, ankind of deal.
Wow
The GM rep asked about a swap today. I did not think you can swap a 21 for a 22 as the 22 is also under the recall. ???? ?????
So not all 22’s are under the recall ??
So this is really a option?

#9 ·
Sounds like too good to believe. I recently spoke to my EVC and he told me if a swap was to happen it would have to be for an ICE vehicle. I told him ok and I would be glad to order and wait up to 6 months. He said anything is possible but that seems to be a nice way of saying he would do his best. I still don't think I will get a new battery for my 2021 for about 2 years.GM needs to restart the factory as it is costing them millions a week. By restarting the factory with the intent of swapping out 2021 for 2022 it would resolve this long-term issue and a payout for the lawsuit that is in the works.

Back in the spring and summer, GM should have never continued selling vehicles knowing they did not really understand the problem. Did they really check the Michigan factory for defective batteries and did LG know they may have had a problem and hid it from GM. All this will come out in the lawsuit as documents are discovered.

#10 ·
Sorry for delay on getting back.
All I know at this point is that the GM rep said I could do a MSRP trade for a new 22 Bolt so it was a no brainer. Went to the dealer and the manager quickly ordered my new 22 Bolt, handed me the copy of my order then the salesman got with their "buyback" guy who had a call with my GM guy and in the end all seems good for the trade. I guess that by the time that they really make my new car the new batteries would be available so the reason for the dealer order for the car going through.
The GM guy I'm dealing with mentioned that the new battery production was slated to go roughly half to recalls and half to production so I get that my car was at the end of the list for a new battery since it was 1:Not the high risk group and 2: They do want to get back to selling Bolts again. So I would be waiting a longer time, I guess that's the thought process in this mess.
At this point my GM guy is not the 1st contact, that was the main hotline, that led to 1 email asking for the basic purchase info then my GM guy has been "on call" since, not sure if or when I will get handed off to the next person.

Reactions: MDBolt
#11 · (Edited)
Oh. And at the start, I was told that I could do either a buyback or swap for the MSRP(was thinking Trail Blazer) then next call he made it sound like it was only a swap for a Bolt. Not sure and never questioned because I wanted a new Bolt over any other GM icer..

And now, the day after going to the dealer and them talking the GM guy emailed me to say he was sending my case in.
we'll see.

#15 ·
GMs is paying 80% of factory workers and needs to get the factory open and maybe they can do some swaps. So my guess is they will do both and try to increase production at both LG battery facilities in Michigan. How many they can make per month is probably a secret. They also have to fill up a full trucks of batteries for California where the most Bolts were sold.

#16 ·
Hi thanks for sharing. What state are you in? I’m in So. CA and have been in the trade repurchase process since august. My GM coordinator is telling me that they have to wait until local dealers to me call them with available EUV inventory. She never mentioned ordering a build I was looking for.

#17 ·
The (IN) was stating Indiana :)
From what I have seen a LOT depends on the state you live in and somewhat when you do what. I have my fingers crossed that my deal goes through as is, never know what could change/go wrong.
All I know at this point is that my dealer has ordered my 22 and has had a phone call with the GM guy I have been working with.

#21 ·
I sent this to my GM guy this weekend, waiting for my reply Monday.

"as I was leaving the dealer that just for me to wait till the new car was ready then come in and do the paperwork somewhat like a normal purchase. Is that it? Is this done, or am I still waiting on either submitting more info or GM denying the deal? Will I be passed on to another person down the line? "

That was what I was told leaving the dealer the day I ordered the new car. I still feel the same as before, wondering what might or might not happen.....

#23 ·
Well nothing in the form of paper mail from GM but this was the last reply to a couple questions from the District Service Manager that I have been working with via phone and email.

"Yes, another person will handle the repurchase and paperwork for your new Bolt when it comes in. They should have everything they need for now but until the new Bolt is built and delivered to Coyle, additional info could be needed. When you finally talk to the repurchase agent mention that we talked about you being reimbursed for the cost of the window tint. They can call me if they need to verify that. I had already submitted the case before I got the Tint receipt but it can be corrected. "

Does that count?

#28 ·
My advisor confirms that msrp swap is dead.

Here is the email I received few minutes ago....
"I hope you are doing well. Please submit documents when you are ready. Correct, You were approved for the Repurchase due to the worldwide vehicle shortage i am unable to provide a swap.
If you have an urgent question or concern, please reply directly to this email."

#36 ·
Still have my doubts but this is from last nights email to my GM guy.

"I would like to check in on things. I have read that GM is denying swaps that were in progress and telling them "NO". Is this where mine is going!!!

I can't believe that they would do that in the midst of keeping the faith. I saw today that the Orion plant was pushed back another week to make more batteries available for the recalled cars and I get that, but is that just one more move to push me out of the line for my trade and make me wait longer for a "maybe" new battery?

They offered, and I accepted."

He replied:

"This is another reason why you can’t believe everything you read on the internet.

No truth to this. The only thing that is true is that it is taking us about 4-6 weeks for the Repurchase team to assign a case to an agent for initial contact to the customer due to the volume of requests. Plus you may have added wait time because you’re building a new replacement Bolt that has to be delivered to the dealership before the transaction can be completed."

I kinda hope it DOES take them a long time to get to my car as far as the battery because it's likely to be near 5+ months to get the new Bolt delivered...

#38 ·
Just got another call from "866" letting me know that I am gonna have a new contact person and gave me her ext#. One more step :)
Not a lot of new info, just the ext# and did say that they should have most info from me at at this point. I know one thing that the last guy said would be needed later is my loan info for the "collateral transfer" for the swap.

#39 ·
I did do the Chevy "chat" last night, not much more info just listed at 1100, as I thought at this point being that the plant hasn't started up yet.
On that thought, any updates on the Orion plant? latest I see is Nov1.

#40 ·
Well, called the EVC today since I didn't get the 1pm call I was told I would get when I called yesterday.....
Was told that she put an "urgent" :) message through to the new girl I am supposed to be working with for a bit. The one I talked to couldn't give me any info because my case was apparently above her pay grade :rolleyes:.
Still I wait to actually talk to the next in line...

#42 ·
No, I will not take a repurchase now! Like I told the GM guy, They offered , I accepted!
They (GM), told me I had 3 choices:
1: Wait for new battery (haha) , with my cars status it will be a long time.
2:Buyback. Nope, bad deal since I got a good deal on my purchase.
3: MSRP (repurchase, or whatever term), That I get more than I really paid for my car as "store credit" for a new Bolt :) I took 3 :)
Started my adventure mid Sept.

#43 ·
I'm with you Lite 2. Supposedly my case was sent to repurchase people after I refused a buyback. With a 2021 it will be at least a year maybe 2 years before I get a new battery. GM knows that the longer it goes the higher the payout will be for the class-action lawsuit in Michigan. GM will also lose customers if they don't improve our requests.

#45 ·
So far my case is in the hands of the "repurchase department", I have an Ext # and name, but yet to have any phone contact but did get an Email today from "60day@gm.com" , never saw mention of this email in any post.

Here is the current status for your Chevrolet order:

I have located your order (XXXXXX My edit) and can see that your vehicle is at the Event Description 1100 - Preliminary Order Accepted. This status means that your order has been entered into the system and your dealer is waiting for allocation to match up with your place in line so that it can be submitted to GM.

I will send you another update next of week.

If you would like to check on your vehicle order status before then, please feel free to chat from www.Chevrolet.com, or you may contact me directly at my phone number listed below.
For faster service, please reference your case number (X-XXXXXXXXXX My edit) or your order number .

Thank you for choosing for your new vehicle!
Chevrolet Customer Assistance

Still no 6 digit case# and no voice contact with the next round. Just want my new car built and delivered before someone up the GM chain changes the terms/rules/ their mind.

#52 ·
So far my case is in the hands of the "repurchase department", I have an Ext # and name, but yet to have any phone contact but did get an Email today from "60day@gm.com" , never saw mention of this email in any post.

Here is the current status for your Chevrolet order:

I have located your order (XXXXXX My edit) and can see that your vehicle is at the Event Description 1100 - Preliminary Order Accepted. This status means that your order has been entered into the system and your dealer is waiting for allocation to match up with your place in line so that it can be submitted to GM.

I will send you another update next of week.

If you would like to check on your vehicle order status before then, please feel free to chat from www.Chevrolet.com, or you may contact me directly at my phone number listed below.
For faster service, please reference your case number (X-XXXXXXXXXX My edit) or your order number .

Thank you for choosing for your new vehicle!
Chevrolet Customer Assistance

Still no 6 digit case# and no voice contact with the next round. Just want my new car built and delivered before someone up the GM chain changes the terms/rules/ their mind.
I'm in a weird situation. I have a 6-digit case number (generated late Sept) but have never heard from the Repurchase Dept. Also, I was previously working with a District Regional Manager from GM who has since ghosted me, but then the EVC started calling me with updates last week. I don't know what's going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.