Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On two occasions, I've seen the display of expected range show numbers way over the possible range for the car. See photo. On both occasions the display showed a "correct" number after charging, but suddenly jumped up to the erroneous number after being driven for a short time. On one occasion the number suddenly dropped back down to a believable figure after about twenty more minutes of driving. On the other occasion, the display gradually decreased as we drove.
Most of the time the display seems to be working properly, but we've had just these two instances of odd behavior.
Has anyone else seen this? Is this a known problem that can be ignored, or should I be raising this with the maintenance folks?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,755 Posts
The EPA mileage rating is a carefully-controlled, specific-assignment test. It is an average of test-segment values, such as slow speed, high speed, stop and go, rapid & slow acceleration, and rapid & slow deceleration, just to name a few. Every EV can get higher than that expected range by simply driving in the same fashion as those parts of the test which gave the highest MPGe - almost always, by driving slower. On the interstate (NOT stop-and-go), at a steady 70 mph, I will NEVER get 238 miles of range. If I drive the same trip at 45 mph (the lowest permissible speed on an interstate highway is 40 mph), I will ALWAYS get > 238 miles of range, sometimes a GoM reading of >300 miles!. Add in an elevation change from start to finish, and it gets even more exciting. We drove a 200 mile trip starting with a projected range of 200 miles. At the end, we still had 120 miles of expected range remaining. This is because we drove from a 3500' MSL start to a 500' MSL finish. As stated above, the GoM considers only how you have been driving the last "x" miles (GM does not reveal this factor). So driving up to the mountaintop meant the GoM displayed 200 miles (fully charged) but "thought" I was going to drive "uphill" for the majority of those miles. Driving "downhill" for 3 hours used up few of those GoM miles. BUT, if I had continued driving on level ground after reaching the first destination, I would never have gotten another 120 miles out of ye olde Bolt EV. PlugShare even gives you the elevation of every EVSE presented so you can use a "fudge factor" to more accurately predict your expected range.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I often get 320. I live and drive in low mountains with curvy roads, so a lot of lifting my foot off the gas. I average between 5 and 6 miles per kilowatt.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yup. EPA range corresponds to 3.9 miles per kilowatt-hour.

Someone who drives lower speeds in mild weather can easily hit 4.3-4.5

Someone who drives really low speeds (<40mph) constantly in mild weather will see even higher numbers.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
"I average between 5 and 6 miles per kilowatt."

I hypermiled my i3 and had a heck of a time getting those numbers. Guess I could in Bolt if I had level ground and 45 MPH straights.

·
Registered
323 Posts
On two occasions, I've seen the display of expected range show numbers way over the possible range for the car. See photo.
View attachment 38371
Interesting that the GOM thinks you might get anywhere between 377 miles and 210. That is a pretty wide guess. How are you getting 5.5 miles/ kWh for 183 miles? Is that a one way trip, all down hill? 25 mph average?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
How are you getting 5.5 miles/ kWh for 183 miles? Is that a one way trip, all down hill? 25 mph average?

We drove a 200 mile trip starting with a projected range of 200 miles.

At the end, we still had 120 miles of expected range remaining. This is because we drove from a 3500' MSL start to a 500’ finish…

Driving "downhill" for 3 hours used up few of those GoM miles. AND, if I had continued driving on level ground after reaching the first destination, I would never have gotten another 120 miles out of ye olde Bolt EV.
Here you go. I removed the “wordiness”. I also applied the “return key is your friend” 🙄

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here you go. I removed the “wordiness”. I also applied the “return key is your friend” 🙄
That's great but Davidb95 (op) is the person who posted the photo showing the crazy range range on the GOM and you "cleaned up" someone else's post that drove down hill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts