Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

I’m getting 4.9 mi/kwh right now
I drive in D, use mostly the paddle for stopping.
Here are my mods:
-Michelin energy saver self sealing tires
-45 psi on all four tires
-Fast EV01+ wheels
-Hitch mounted trunk modified to sit closer to bumper.
-Ecohitch with gussets added to frame
-Battery recall (helped range, not mile/kwh)
-Vehicle reported average speed 27.7 (this is the average speed for entire time the vehicle has been running while the average was being calculated, Idk when last I reset this, maybe 10-20k ago) I usually go 55-65 on highway. And it still produces this average.
-location arizona

before hitch mounted trunk: (observe mi/kwh)
Font Automotive design Gas Circle Vehicle

after hitch mounted trunk: (observe mi/kwh)
Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Motor vehicle

Edit: 1200 miles approx on average calculation and I am at 5.0 miles/kwh now. Much of this trip was a drive between Vegas and Phoenix, so lots of highway speeds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I get a chance I’ll grab a pic.

here is what it looks like.

Automotive lighting Gas Bumper Luggage and bags Tackle box

·
Registered
262 Posts
There is lot more that can be done to increase range starting with shaving weight (removing the rear headrests, seats and all the mats in the trunk). Michelin energy saver tires are heavy because of all the goo that is inside which means that you can find more efficient wheels and tires (usually smaller wheel diameter with higher profile tires). Side mirrors on the Bolt are big compared to the one on the model Y for instance which lead to more than necessary drag. You can also lower the suspensions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There is lot more that can be done to increase range starting with shaving weight (removing the rear headrests, seats and all the mats in the trunk). Michelin energy saver tires are heavy because of all the goo that is inside which means that you can find more efficient wheels and tires (usually smaller wheel diameter with higher profile tires). Side mirrors on the Bolt are big compared to the one on the model Y for instance which lead to more than necessary drag. You can also lower the suspensions.
Can you post your results? Average mi/kwh and average speed meterics.

smaller mirrors would be cool. Are there any from other model vehicles that would fit?

I cary around a whole bunch of extra weight with me. All sorts of tools cords and crap. Haven’t done any weight savings.

I’d be interested in actual data on the weight thing. Weight affects gassers more because of stop and go losses. Where as EVs less because of the regen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not a speedster, which is good, as the roads are really curvy here. I do several short trips and a couple of 60 mile trips a week.
I meant, what does your car say.

here is the requested pic.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

so has anyone come up with a tire that is better? These oem michelins with self sealing seem hard to beat. The self sealing is pretty handy tbh and worth whatever losses it brings imho.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT - Kinetic Blue
252 Posts
so has anyone come up with a tire that is better? These oem michelins with self sealing seem hard to beat. The self sealing is pretty handy tbh and worth whatever losses it brings imho.
I’m not sure how good its LRR properties are, but I believe the lightest tire in the factory size is the Hankook Kinergy ST (19 lbs). That is quite a bit lighter than the Michelin Energy Saver AS Selfseal that comes on the car (23 lbs), and from a rotational inertia standpoint that extra weight is in the worst possible location (on the backside of the tread - furthest from the axis of rotation).

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
1,792 Posts
For argument's sake I've done the exact opposite and gone with Summer/Winters on the rubbers while throwing fuel efficiency completely out the window. I'm all about efficiency but rubber is not a place where I'll make that sacrifice because to me, personally, that's a safety thing.

I'm waiting for my EUV to dive into the summers but on the Kona (similar size, battery pack, efficiency, etc.) I went from stock, lowest rolling resistance practically on the market to a very aggressive (but still decent rolling resistant) summer tire and the change was imperceptible range-wise while completely revolutionizing traction (the Kona stock tires are far worse for traction than the Bolt stock tires). Side by side comparisons by others show no more than 5% max difference.

I kind of view this as the best of all worlds. People who need the range can squeeze those last little bit of % out of it while if you want to go for traction the sacrifices are livable.

I'll try and be conscious of all of this when I pick up the EUV and switch to summers, I'll try and be more scientific about logging the before and after and report here.

Worth noting that I also went from stock aero wheel to a Sonata, not aero rim (pictured below)

Original (now sporting winters, also those are temp license plates registered now to an Escape not owned by me, so copy them all you want!):
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

New:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 197 Posts