Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The easiest mod to get more range is to simply drive slower.
The easiest mod to use less energy is to drive less.

Neither your suggestion nor mine is likely to be welcomed. Fossil fuel addiction is as much a scourage in our country as fentanyl. A neighbor who is rational about most things, drives a 15 MPG pickup and most weekends, takes it on a 500-mile round trip somewhere. On nice weather weekends, he's towing a boat @ 10 MPG and when the boat is in the water, it's burning gallons per hour. In winter, he's hauling two snowmobiles into the mountains.

Then, there's the heli-skiing once or twice a year. The carbon debt load immense, ICE to the airport, kerosene up to Canada, ICE to the mountain base, snowmobile up to the chalet, more kerosene to the top of the mountain. "It's so beautiful, so quiet, so pure up there, it's like you're the only person in the world!" Then, same again carbon footprint to get home. And he'd tell you he is an environmentalist; loves being out in nature.

jack vines, who's burned a lot of fossil fuel over the past seventy-five years, but now drives a Bolt most times.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I keep my tires at about 40 psi with nitrogen to try to keep it a bit more stable.
As long as one is not paying extra for nitrogen fills, no harm done; however, little to no benefit either. Air is 78% nitrogen; only racers who will pay big bucks for a tenth of a second who should be buying nitrogen.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
To that end, many here complain of a harsh ride in the Bolt. Based on those comments, I might be inclined not to inflate over the recommended pressure just to preserve some ride comfort.
Agee, given the dismal condition of the pavement here in Spokane and the stiff suspension, for local use, I'd be more likely to go 2 PSI under rather than 6 PSI over the recommended 38 PSI. For highway, I've not found any benefit to overinflating.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I mean, I had 2,500 miles with 4.5 mi/kwh I changed only this and now have 1200 mi at 5.0 mi/kwh. It seems pretty clear something improved.
but springtime also improves range, confounding the conclusions that can be drawn.
For true. Our mi/kwh went up about that same percentage when the weather warmed a bit.

BTW, don't know we've ever seen or will ever see 5.0 mi/kwh average. We live in the frozen-ass-end-of-nowhere, so our HVAC stays on Auto - 72 degrees and the report card often shows 30% of energy use is Comfort. After 20,000 miles over five years, our average has been in the 3.5 range GM Engineering predicted for most typical use.

jv

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Having driven on the German autobahns from 1968 to present day, my take is "Stupid Kills !!" Europeans have to graduate from professional driving schools to get a license. I always feel safer knowing those who are pushing their very expensive cars to the max on the very few still unlimited stretches are paying very close attention while hitting 180 MPH than when I'm in US traffic where high school girls are texting and glancing up every few seconds if that.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Weight matters a little in those scenarios, especially with a vehicle that stores excess momentum. Whatever is spent going uphill will be returned coming back down.
You've obviously never driven a Class 8 truck. It takes much more fuel to climb the mountain with a full load than is returned on the downgrade. Fuel mileage down the center of California on flat stretches of I-5 usually averages 6 MPG and drops to 5 MPG on the northern stretch over Mt Shasta.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Everyone with a clue knows weight doesn't matter.
A sweeping generalisation applies a general statement too broadly. If one takes a general rule, and applies it to a case to which, due to the specific features of the case, the rule does not apply,
You show a Prius pulling a loaded trailer as your example. When "weight doesn't matter" is demonstrably incorrect in many heavily loaded vehicles, you shift to an unloaded Bolt.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I built a pusher trailer for my Civic EV conversion. It was an interesting exercise in improvisation, but for all intents and purposes quite useless. By attaching it to my EV I had created a vehicle that was both harder to drive and maintain than the EV by itself and less fuel efficient than the ICE I had built the pusher from. All I got for my trouble was something that was never of value, always in my way at home, too unreliable to count on, and was used so infrequently that it always needed work first. I ended up scrapping it. The best way to extend the range of an EV is to stop at a charging station and recharge it.
You certainly chose an appropriate screen name. I build things and that contraption would be beyond most. However, Zora Arkus Duntov famously said, "It is not necessary to construct a swimming pool to know a bowling ball won't float."

jack vines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts