Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
The easiest mod to use less energy is to drive less.

Neither your suggestion nor mine is likely to be welcomed. Fossil fuel addiction is as much a scourage in our country as fentanyl. A neighbor who is rational about most things, drives a 15 MPG pickup and most weekends, takes it on a 500-mile round trip somewhere. On nice weather weekends, he's towing a boat @ 10 MPG and when the boat is in the water, it's burning gallons per hour. In winter, he's hauling two snowmobiles into the mountains.

Then, there's the heli-skiing once or twice a year. The carbon debt load immense, ICE to the airport, kerosene up to Canada, ICE to the mountain base, snowmobile up to the chalet, more kerosene to the top of the mountain. "It's so beautiful, so quiet, so pure up there, it's like you're the only person in the world!" Then, same again carbon footprint to get home. And he'd tell you he is an environmentalist; loves being out in nature.

jack vines, who's burned a lot of fossil fuel over the past seventy-five years, but now drives a Bolt most times.
Well aren't we funny today... LOL

·
Registered
464 Posts
Nitrogen is best during cold temperatures, IMO. Less losses, so longer period of keeping the proper pressure into the tiers. But if you check your tires pressure usually and keep them at the proper pressure, I don't see a benefit of using nitrogen over air.
Just an observation... I have nitrogen filled tires (Dealer done) My tires are still sitting at 40 psi cold and this has been for several months now. Not sure all the bennies, but my other (air) filled tires seem to lose air much sooner... or I am in denial... you pick.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would point out that there are usually alternatives to the freeway where you can drive 10 to 20MPH slower without causing any problems.

And even on the freeway, if you're following a truck that's going slower than prevailing traffic I think it's hard to argue that you're adding any additional hazard over what the truck itself is. Indeed, following a slow truck is a terrific way to avoid having people cut in front of you.
I just have to piggy back on this... I have commuted for 25 years now, 80% freeway driving, ICE vehicle, until my Bolt. I now drive 10mph below the max for a couple reasons. When I would drive the Max speed limit (75) I was constantly slowing down for Truckers who could not wait 3-5 seconds for me to pass them and they would jump out and cut me off, also the speed freaks who want to jump the gaps/weave in and out of traffic to the thrill of it. I would constantly cuss/scream at this Jacks!! When I would get to work it would take me a while to chill out and be "kinder" to my staff.

2021 I buy a Bolt.... I have been Hypermiling it and such.... decided I would make all the Speed Freaks and Truckers PASS ME! I now am so relaxed as I drive, I actually look forward to my relaxing drive to work. Quiet and relaxed. No more cussing and I never (rarely) have to change my speed/cruise control.... This is what I needed to do years ago.

As a UPS driver for 12 years before my current job (I drove over a million miles) I saw the devastation of Speed on the Highway. True Story: I once saw a Semi Tractor/Trailer cross the median catch air and end up 50 yards out in a field!!! I saw people who drove into the back of stationary objects and shear their car in two!!! I believe on the Freeway/Highway Speed kills.

If driving in the City then it is about going with the Flow - Fast or Slow. So I say, driving under the Max is way Safer and relaxing (For me) than fighting the "Speed" game on the Freeway/Highway.

My two cents.

·
Registered
464 Posts
And your observation is right. The molecule of nitrogen is larger than the air's one so it’s harder to leak. Thus, a tire filled with nitrogen will maintain air pressure longer.
I forget the US Bolt EV doesn’t come with the portable air pump like the Canadian ones. So, for me, it’s easy to inflate the tires in my garage.
Thanks Voldie... I did not know this. You are a wealth of info. I plan to get a light portable inflator when I change out my OEM tires. Canada Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts