Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I plug my Google Pixel phone into the USB ports by my elbow with a Google supplied USB-C cable and tap the USB square on the infocenter I see "No Device" message. This is a brand new car so I would hope the USB ports are good. My question is does Chevy have any issues with the relatively new USB-C connections.

My computer recognizes and streams data perfectly with the USB-C cable and Pixel phone.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I plug my Google Pixel phone into the USB ports by my elbow with a Google supplied USB-C cable and tap the USB square on the infocenter I see "No Device" message. This is a brand new car so I would hope the USB ports are good. My question is does Chevy have any issues with the relatively new USB-C connections.

My computer recognizes and streams data perfectly with the USB-C cable and Pixel phone.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Most Nougat based devices default to charging mode when plugged into a port. You may have to go into settings and enable MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) for the USB connection. I have no issues in this regard with my Nexus 6P (although I have plenty of BT issues), which is a USB-C phone.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Is Android Auto turned on? Both the car and phone settings, that is
I think the OP may be trying to use the phone as bulk USB storage for music, without using AA, they same way they would use a USB stick. If that's the case, and Nougat is defaulting to "Charge Mode" for the USB port (which is normally does as a security measure), then the Infotainment system will not see the phone as a drive. This works the same if you plug the phone into a macbook to transfer files onto/off of the phone. If you pull down the notification shade, you should see a notification that says:

"USB Charging this device"
"Tap for more options."

Tap the shade, and you'll get 5 options:

• Charge this Device
  • Supply power
  • Transfer Files
  • Transfer Photos (PTP)
  • Use device as MIDI
If you choose "Transfer files", if should work as a USB mass storage device.

If the OP is actually trying to use AA, then I take it all back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AA as usb device and lack of phone favorites

I think you are correct. I thought the USB tool would allow me to bypass Android Auto and simply project google maps to the screen without the AA app or allow me to access my phone directly.

I do have a question on the phone through AA. (Every time I type that acronym I think of Bill Wilson) On my Pixel I have a list of favorites and a godzillion other contacts most of which got burped over from a corporate contact list I no longer have interest in. I live with this cumbersome contact list on the phone due to my favorites list, but it does not seem to be recognized by AA on the Infotainment system. Am I missing a hidden command somewhere.

TD

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think you are correct. I thought the USB tool would allow me to bypass Android Auto and simply project google maps to the screen without the AA app or allow me to access my phone directly.

I do have a question on the phone through AA. (Every time I type that acronym I think of Bill Wilson) On my Pixel I have a list of favorites and a godzillion other contacts most of which got burped over from a corporate contact list I no longer have interest in. I live with this cumbersome contact list on the phone due to my favorites list, but it does not seem to be recognized by AA on the Infotainment system. Am I missing a hidden command somewhere.

TD
TBH, I haven't tried to use my contacts list navigating the AA screen, I normally use voice commands "OK Google, call so-and-so mobile", and it has worked pretty well. It seems to have anyone in my Google Contacts list.

I'm pretty sure the USB integration is intended for audio and video files, and not projecting the phone screen. I expect that most modern phone screens (and the Pixel is no exception here) are much higher resolution than the panel in the Bolt (I bet the Bolt isn't better than 720p, but I couldn't find an easy reference), and without scaling, you'll get the upper left corner of your phone's screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Android Auto

I had something really weird happen yesterday with AA and my Pixel.

When I walked to my car i had about eight "favorites" on my Pixel.....numbers that I had called recently and automatically are stored in the "star" area of my phone tool.

After I had driven to my destination using AA and Google maps the "favorites" had disappeared and the entries in my phone list were gone.

I cannot explain this as this list did not appear on my Infocenter screen at any time.

I am mystified by this. I am repopulating my phone contacts and repopulating the favorites area. I will see if this happens again or if it was just a fluke.

Has this happened elsewhere?

AA also could be American Airlines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts