Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ABRP was a huge help leaving the Bay Area on my first “I might end up on a flat bed tow truck trip”.

Back of the napkin planning on miles and charges etc - I was going on vacation and Work was crazy and I devoted just enough time in planning to hope I didn’t get stuck.

Leg 1 Leaving with a full charge from home and driving through to my first stop in Oakdale at the DC corridor fast charge station for a quick top up from about 50% to 80% because I was unsure about my charging options in Pinecrest. Ended in Pinecrest with about 30% or 81 miles showing. Uphill hurt but was hoping to recover on the downhill.

Leg 2 was downhill to a L2 charger at the Sonora advent hospital because by ABRP I needed to get to my next stop with at least 25% to get back to my target charge station back in Oakdale. I recovered some on the short downhill but still needed some more miles to get home eventually.

Leg 3 An hour later with 20 miles or so added at about 55% I set off from Sonora to just short of bear valley up highway 49 to angels camp and beyond up highway 4. Again the uphill hurts! And I ended at my destination with 24% remaining but the Gom showing 41 miles. Yikes. Seeing that I had a 95 mile target destination was unsettling to say the least! But I had three more days of vacation and didn’t need to use the car so I went with it.

Leg 4 fingers crossed that I would reap the benefits of a long downhill from 6000ft plus to Oakdale with a quick shunt across 26 mile road. It’s crazy to see the miles add on as I regened downhill and was easy on the throttle trying my best to imitate the hypermilers.
Ended up reaching Oakdale with 16 miles showing available and the charge soon orange light flashing. Was very glad for that stop in Sonora earlier for the hour L2 charge and approximately 20 miles that gave me. Without it the tow truck would have been in play for sure.

An hour later I had enough to make it home with air conditioning and made my way home

this is as losey goose I’ve played with miles and unknown chargers - I’m glad it worked out. ABRP was super helpful in understanding the ranges and I highly recommend it - but the lesson I did learn was that the hit you take going up you really do benefit from going back down and it left me more confident on trusting the planning tools and understanding that part of a trip in general.

hope you enjoyed this - I wanted to get it down for my record more than anything!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the report. I was up on CA108 last weekend - would've been fun to meet a fellow Bolt! With 3 days of vacation, it really pays to have a long extension cord and locate a 110V outlet. I was up in Arnold at a friend's cabin in the winter-time and one day's charging made a huge difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So question - is the don’t use an extension cord for 110 just a cya for Chevy or does it work with a stock charger? My back up plan was to go buy one if needed but looking at the 110 charger which I don’t use at home it says NOT to use one with extension. Does it work with extension cord because I totally could have done that! But I’m cheap. Let me know and cheers! Now if there was just a Fast DC in Arnold all this would be irrelevant! We need more chargers!!!!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
So question - is the don’t use an extension cord for 110 just a cya for Chevy or does it work with a stock charger? My back up plan was to go buy one if needed but looking at the 110 charger which I don’t use at home it says NOT to use one with extension. Does it work with extension cord because I totally could have done that! But I’m cheap. Let me know and cheers! Now if there was just a Fast DC in Arnold all this would be irrelevant! We need more chargers!!!!
It's mostly CYA... However, you must make sure that your extension cord is actually rated for that much current over a sustained period. I think the longest extension cable I've used with a 120 V EVSE was 25', and that was a 10/3 "heavy duty" 30 A cable, which would be able the lightest I'd go. Maybe a 12/3 if it was only 10' to 15', but that's about the limit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info thank you for that - that was one of the factors on going to the hardware store and buying an expensive cable or spending an hour at the charging station because I’m a cheap ******* thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Good info thank you for that - that was one of the factors on going to the hardware store and buying an expensive cable or spending an hour at the charging station because I’m a cheap *** thanks again for the input!
You're welcome! It's good to have some heavy duty cables around, just because. Again, I think it is mostly CYA to account for people who might try to use long, light cables. GM doesn't want to be responsible for someone burning down their home.

Also, something to consider if you camp a lot is getting a 240 V plug for the Bolt EV's EVSE. It's still limited to 12 A, but running 240 V @ 12 A is still a lot better than 120 v @ 12 A. Unfortunately, most of the pre-made versions are sold out, but you could look up instructions on how to wire your own:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I’ve used up to 100 foot extension cord. It didn’t even get warm at 12A. Granted, that was in the wintertime. But a 25 foot heavy-duty cord is a nice thing to keep in the trunk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks feedback on this - I might have just the cord in the garage and it may find a new home in the trunk for just the situation I had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts