Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Bolt Premier, build date 05/17, with software version 14.1.0 which it says is "up to date".

There have been two times now when I got in the car, pushed the blue button to start, and the infotainment screen came on and froze. The radio was playing but I couldn't change the volume or station with any of the controls. The touch screen was unresponsive, the controls on the steering wheel didn't work, and the volume control on the dash didn't work. When I put it in reverse, the rear view camera did not come on. But the car would move and shift and so on.

The cure seems to be to turn everything off and go away for 10 minutes, and then it seems to come back on and work properly.

Since this has been a highly intermittent problem (so far) I hesitate to waste my time taking it to the dealer unless it's a known problem. They're not much good troubleshooting a problem when it's not happening.

I've seen posts with similar, but not identical problems with earlier builds and earlier software versions, but nothing lately.

Is this still a common problem, or is it just my car?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same thing happened to me in each of the last two days. Shutting down, getting out of the car and letting it do its self-locking thing seems to immediately fix the problem.

If this had happened to my iPad, I would assume Apple was downloading an update in the background.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a new Bolt Premier, build date 05/17, with software version 14.1.0 which it says is "up to date".

There have been two times now when I got in the car, pushed the blue button to start, and the infotainment screen came on and froze. The radio was playing but I couldn't change the volume or station with any of the controls. The touch screen was unresponsive, the controls on the steering wheel didn't work, and the volume control on the dash didn't work. When I put it in reverse, the rear view camera did not come on. But the car would move and shift and so on.

The cure seems to be to turn everything off and go away for 10 minutes, and then it seems to come back on and work properly.

Since this has been a highly intermittent problem (so far) I hesitate to waste my time taking it to the dealer unless it's a known problem. They're not much good troubleshooting a problem when it's not happening.

I've seen posts with similar, but not identical problems with earlier builds and earlier software versions, but nothing lately.

Is this still a common problem, or is it just my car?
You shouldn't need to go away for 10 minutes.

While in the car if you hold down the home and fast forward button together for 10 seconds it will reboot it.

Or you could turn the car off, get out, lock it, walk more than 10 ft away and wait 30 seconds. Now go back to your car and it will have rebooted itself.

The two times my main screen has frozen I tried those and they both worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know about that the last time it happened. I'll give it a try next time. However, the previous times the touchscreen was generally unresponsive to anything I tried, so not sure if it will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, does GM read these forums and take note? Obviously there continues to be a serious bug with the infotainment system which has been around in different forms for a year now, and is continuing in my car and in others. It would be nice if there were some way to know that GM has heard about it, acknowledges the problem, and let's us know they are actually working on fixing it.

Much as other Bolt owners are helpful and knowledgable on this forum, it would also be nice to hear from GM. Or is there some other place to officially report this stuff or where they post a bug list with status?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I didn't know about that the last time it happened. I'll give it a try next time. However, the previous times the touchscreen was generally unresponsive to anything I tried, so not sure if it will work.
Home and FF buttons aren't on the touchscreen. They are the physical buttons below and to the left, around the volume/power knob. You just have to hold them both for 10 seconds together. The screen won't do anything to let you know you are holding them either.

If you are concerned you aren't doing it right or you don't feel comfortable doing that. Just do the turn the car off, lock it and walk more than 10 feet away for 30 second procedure. It does the same thing, just tells the Bolt it can cycle down the system and it will cycle back up when you unlock, get in and power the car on again.

·
Registered
544 Posts
So, does GM read these forums and take note? Obviously there continues to be a serious bug with the infotainment system which has been around in different forms for a year now, and is continuing in my car and in others. It would be nice if there were some way to know that GM has heard about it, acknowledges the problem, and let's us know they are actually working on fixing it.

Much as other Bolt owners are helpful and knowledgable on this forum, it would also be nice to hear from GM. Or is there some other place to officially report this stuff or where they post a bug list with status?
The mychevybolt.com forums have a section where a chevy rep does read and answer questions. Not sure why they haven't done that here as well as this one seem to get more traffic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Home and FF buttons aren't on the touchscreen. They are the physical buttons below and to the left, around the volume/power knob. You just have to hold them both for 10 seconds together. The screen won't do anything to let you know you are holding them either."

Oooohhhhh... PHYSICAL buttons!! How very old school. Thanks so much for pointing that out, Peter. I didn't even notice I had physical buttons. That's definately what I'll try first the next time the screen freezes.

Thanks so much for the information and your patience in setting me straight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Premier that I purchased at the beginning of February 2017. Until recently, I've had very few issues like this. Lately, it seems to be happening more and more. Originally, it was the steering wheel buttons that wouldn't work. Maybe once in a month. Now, I've had that happen, then the next day my infotainment screen froze, and a couple of days after that (today), the infotainment screen didn't come on at all (the backup camera didn't display, the forward camera didn't display, and the radio was silent). I decided to drive home anyway and about 2 minutes into my drive, it came up and the radio came on. I'm keeping a log of when these things happen (date and time as well as a description of the issue) so that the next time I take my car in for service, I can provide it to the techs. While I'm glad it's not just me (and now I know how to reboot the system), it's disconcerting to have these types of issues with such a new car. I had a 1st generation Prius that I finally gave up to get this car. Sometimes I wish I had the old Prius back as that car gave me almost no problems in the 14 years that I owned it (246,000 miles).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Confirmed screen and controls freeze

I had no trouble with my Bolt standard model from purchase in June until this week. While driving the steering wheel and on-screen infotainment controls sometimes lock up. The speed indicator and foot brakes operate, so the car is safe to drive.

But the regenerative braking paddles do not work, and that latter could come as a major dangerous surprise in "D" mode.

It's not clear to me about cause and effect. I noticed that all is well if the display starts with the blue splash screen and sound byte. Other times, it seems that even though the car was "off", the infotainment was still "on", and upon re-starting, the screens and buttons all freeze.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same thing..

The same thing happened to me today. I noticed that the camera didn't come on as I backed out of my driveway, then realized that the whole screen was frozen. I tried shutting it off and turning it back on, but didn't give it more than a few seconds in between. I came out and tried it a half hour later, and everything was find. It's good to know about the Home and FF buttons.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I ran across an interesting little nugget of information while perusing the comments to an InsideEVs article. Poster Bill Howland made the comment:
I agree the reliability seems good, seeing as opening and reseating the touch screen cord connectors has totally solved its initial ‘freezing’ problem
That makes it sound like some of these "freeze" incidents may be a hardware glitch rather than a software one, and the fix might be relatively simple - depending on how difficult it is to access the "touch screen cord connectors".

You can see the story along with all the comments here.

·
Registered
989 Posts
This will correct your steering wheel controls issue.
A TSB for reprogramming of software for this issue has been out for sometime now.
This was released in May and calls for an IPC update.
Tell the dealer you have TSB-17-NA-169 info. that corrects this problem.

·
Registered
989 Posts
This will correct the blank screen and other related issues.
TSB-17-NA-071 is a radio software update released back in March.

Just make sure you tell the dealer you have these TSB's and they won't waste
your time by not finding the problem, I hope >:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the screen freeze happen last night while driving. I got to my destination, turned off the car and while everything else went dark, the screen was still on. I went inside to do my errands and came out 10 minutes later. The problem was still there (although the screen had gone dark by the time I got back into the car, and it stayed dark after I started the car back up). I tried contacting OnStar to report the problem AND the OnStar also would not work. That's serious 0 I even pressed the SOS button and nothing happened. I had one other stop to make, which took about 20 minutes. When i got back into the car, the screen was working. I contact OnStar then, described my issue and I asked them to do a check on the car. They said they could not find a fault code. So, this means the dealership will ALSO not find a fault code. I appreciate the information about the 'home' and 'FF' button press, but I agree with others that GM definitely needs to address this possibly serious safety issue (since OnStar is de-activated when my screen freezes). I called my dealer, and they confirmed that they may not be able to resolve the problem unless it is occurring when I drop it off. I have made an appointment and will share the TSB fault code information posted above (THANKS!)

I am tempted to report this to the NSB so that they can investigate and possibly issue a recall notice.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I had the screen freeze happen last night while driving.
Most people have been able to recover from the screen freezing by using the magic key sequence that reboots the infotainment unit: hold down both the "Home" and the "Next Selection" buttons below the screen for about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Issue

I had this issue multiple times since I own this car from 09/14/2017. On a day to day drive as well, it takes about 30 to 45 seconds to get it refreshed. I observed that this is quite often scenario with cold temperatures.

I did not try the reboot steps here. I locked the car while having a frustrated call with Chevy's RoadSide Assistance and returned to the car after an hour. It was normal.

Just worried that the entire system may seize while I am driving at 65 miles speed and car comes to an abrupt halt and flips over multiple times and causing serious injuries or fatality.

May God be with me always.

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Just worried that the entire system may seize while I am driving at 65 miles speed and car comes to an abrupt halt and flips over multiple times and causing serious injuries or fatality.
It's not healthy to worry about such things. There's no way the infotainment system is remotely connected to the motor controller. If you lose the oil pump on the gearbox, it should be making some serious warning noises that should not be ignored as this could cause the drive train to seize. Any other bearings on the car failing should be squealing quite loudly prior to them seizing. Hardware more likely to cause something catastrophic than an issue with software.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My premier Bolt had a screen freeze last night, the first time in 2 months of ownership. The screen was frozen with the splash screen. I tried shutting off the car and restarting, but not the more detailed ways of rebooting the screen or walking away from the locked car. After driving it maybe a mile, the screen unfroze by itself. I will remember the (Home + FF for 10 seconds) reboot for if it happens again, though.

Update: While the screen freeze didn't inhibit the car's performance, it did inhibit the ability to heat the seats in the night cold!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts