Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, saw this option and haven't quite figured out what kinda 'usb device' to plug-in so it can be viewed. Any tips ?
Filesystem ? Image size ? Folder structure ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, I'd like to know this too. I have not got it working yet, but want to try. The owner's manual says:

"Only the following file extensions
are supported: *.jpg, *.bmp,
*.png, *.gif.
. Animated GIF is not supported.
. Some files may not operate due
to a different format or the
condition of the file."

Seems like it wants a thumb drive, and refuses to find image files on a smartphone. Why would we want to look at images or slideshows in the car?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'd like to know this too. I have not got it working yet, but want to try. The owner's manual says:

"Only the following file extensions
are supported: *.jpg, *.bmp,
*.png, *.gif.
. Animated GIF is not supported.
. Some files may not operate due
to a different format or the
condition of the file."

Seems like it wants a thumb drive, and refuses to find image files on a smartphone. Why would we want to look at images or slideshows in the car?
i tried thumb drive, per manual, still no luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Probably need a USB thumb drive formatted to FAT, exFAT, or possibly FAT32. NTFS is likely not supported (which is the default format on larger thumb drives)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably need a USB thumb drive formatted to FAT, exFAT, or possibly FAT32. NTFS is likely not supported (which is the default format on larger thumb drives)
Using FAT32, doesn't work, any other people tried ?

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Just a dumb question as I don't actually have a car to try it on, but do the files need to be uploaded to the car from a thumb drive, or do they run on the thumb drive?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Using FAT32, doesn't work, any other people tried ?
IT WORKS!!! I got photo and video playback both to work. Video continued to play even as I shifted into D and pulled the car forward - that surprised me, I'd have thought the safety lawyer Nazis would have strictly forbidden this. I did not take it out on the road, so perhaps there is a 5mph limit or something like that.

The owner's manual says this:

"The USB storage device can
only be recognized when it is
formatted in FAT16/32, NTFS,
HFS+. exFAT and other file
systems cannot be recognized."

So far as I can see so far, the manual is correct. exFAT did not work for me, but NTFS did. The manual specifies supported photo file types, but the video capability appears to be undocumented. The Bolt did not recognize my .mkv files, but did play some .mp4 files. I have not tried other formats. The infotainment screen is pretty wide, and the bottom is used by some controls, even during 'full screen' playback, so the car must be stretching or cropping the video image somehow, but I did not immediately see how this was done.

I doubt I'll ever use the gallery capabilities, but they are pretty cool!:nerd:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just a dumb question as I don't actually have a car to try it on, but do the files need to be uploaded to the car from a thumb drive, or do they run on the thumb drive?
It appears to me that the car runs the file directly from the thumb drive.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
an update:

Using a thumbdrive, formatted to NTFS (surprise!), I can see the images (jpg) I put on it.
Video .mp4 converted using Handbrake at 1080_30p, not detected .. still trying diff. resolutions ...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It appears to me that the car runs the file directly from the thumb drive.
Sorry didn't see your post before my last post. But YES, IT WORKS! To summarized:

1. Use NTFS seems to work for both of us
2. No real limits on what kinda resolution for Images files
3. For Movies, seems like it needs NTFS, and I have used Handbrake to convert up to 1080p30 Videos and it still recognizes and plays fine

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was sure hoping that it would be able to view video/pictures USB off a cell phone.
Can Apple Car Play or Android Auto do this? I'm not in my car so I can't check. NBA game time App shows up on the Car Play screen. I'm not about to try watching a game while driving though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Can Apple Car Play or Android Auto do this? I'm not in my car so I can't check. NBA game time App shows up on the Car Play screen. I'm not about to try watching a game while driving though.
I don't believe either AA or the Bolt can do this. My android phone is not recognized as a supported device for this purpose, and AA tries not to allow any driver distractions - pix and videos would seem to be the kind of distraction they want to avoid.

The Bolt is picky about what video files it will play - most of mine won't but some will. I have not figured out what file attributes cause one to be playable or unplayable. Also, there is a 5mph limit, of sorts. When you hit 5mph, the video disappears, but sound does continue. And if you then stop, say at a red light, the video comes back in. Kind of cool, but also glitchy and not really useful.:|

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Yes, up to 5 mph. If you exceed 5 mph, audio continues but video is suspended until you slow back down to 5.
Ah ok, nm then. I thought it may be actually possible to play a movie for the kids in the rear while driving. I guess that's what tablets are for. :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's pretty much the fail-safe manufacturers have put in, at least the Bolt's video still plays at 5 mph. Some cars won't play anything once you start moving at any speed.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Either way, 5mph may as well be stopped lol. I'm sure you could bypass it but that's a lot of work that I'm not really willing to do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts