Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main touch screen in the center went completely black. Apple Car Play was still working, but pressing the home button on the dash would exit to a completely black screen. I then tried calling OnStar which offered no advice on how to reset the system. After turning off the vehicle and letting it sit for a few minutes the system then returned to normal. Very strange. I will try to take pictures and video of the problem happens again. Has anyone else found a way to hard reset the infotainment system?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Infotainment screen blank but carplay works

I had exactly the same issue yesterday . It was resolved by turning off the car , getting out , locking and unlocking ,
Getting in the cR and restarting the car .
Seems like a software bug . :(

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I had exactly the same issue yesterday . It was resolved by turning off the car , getting out , locking and unlocking , Getting in the cR and restarting the car.
Did you actually try pressing Home + FF for 10 seconds? It would be very useful to know if that solves the problem since it's so much simpler than what you described above.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It seemed to be a problem withe the Volt too so I guess Chevy never really got to that specific bug. Hopefully Chevy will release a software update for the problem soon, but at least we have a fix for it in the meantime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen it twice in 60 days of ownership. Turned off car with the first event about a week ago. No change. Turned it off again and it came back. Second event was earlier this week - it came back after cycling the car once.
Another irritating problem is Apple CarPlay. It will quit randomly while driving. Lose all aspects of CarPlay - defaults to a random radio station. Very irritating. Cycles back on by touching the screen and reselecting CarPlay. Happens about 2 or 3 times week based on 1.5 hour commutes (each way) 3-4 days a week. 2 or 3 times out of 6-8 trips.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The USB port on the Bolt is susceptible to losing its connection if the cord gets jostled. I isolated it to the connection to the bolt, and not at the lightning connector on the phone.

I also found that if I plug in the phone at startup I have a risk of disabling both USB ports. I have a flash drive with music and if I plug in the phone before the startup procedure has completed and music starts to play from the USB drive, then it happens. I avoid it by waiting for the music to start playing and the startup sequence is done before connection the phone.

This is annoying because it won't even connect to the phone via Bluetooth when this happens. Then after playing with it for 20 minutes (by plugging and unplugging the phone &a USB drive) it connects and everything works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
....That's interesting, the same thing happened to me last night as well, when I got in the car to go home from work the car started as normal but the infotainment screen was just black, I stopped, reset the vehicle power and same thing, black screen so I decided to just drive away and deal with this at home but 2 minutes into the drive the screen came back on and its all back to normal since than... maybe GM was trying to push OTA updates?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
This is annoying because it won't even connect to the phone via Bluetooth when this happens. Then after playing with it for 20 minutes (by plugging and unplugging the phone &a USB drive) it connects and everything works.
This sounds like a situation where you'd want to try to reboot the infotainment system rather than fiddling for so long. Press "home" and the fast-forward button for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This sounds like a situation where you'd want to try to reboot the infotainment system rather than fiddling for so long. Press "home" and the fast-forward button for 10 seconds.
Yep, next time. Just figured it out after reading this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It happened to me day four in the car. It was the first time I tried plugging the iPhone in. I did the turn off walk away thing but it didn't cure it. May not have walked away long enough. The fix was the Home FF combination. Now I'm worried about plugging the iPhone back in :(

·
Registered
782 Posts
same thing just happened to my Bolt - center screen black/sluggish (takes 30 seconds to recognize volume adjustments on the radio) - home+FF for 10 seconds rebooted and all is well again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same issue with the infotainment center screen going completely blank. Went blank unexpectedly while driving and nothing I tried changed the blank appearance. Sound aspect was there but no visual. After reading some of the others who'd reported on this, I'll try the home / fast forward button next time, but none of this should be happening and I hope someone at Chevy Bolt team is paying attention to such things.

After going in for a lunch meeting, then resuming driving all worked normally again.

Mmmm.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Same issue with the infotainment center screen going completely blank. Went blank unexpectedly while driving and nothing I tried changed the blank appearance. Sound aspect was there but no visual. After reading some of the others who'd reported on this, I'll try the home / fast forward button next time, but none of this should be happening and I hope someone at Chevy Bolt team is paying attention to such things.

After going in for a lunch meeting, then resuming driving all worked normally again.

Mmmm.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was just hit with the Black Screen O' Death. I hadn't read about Home+FF. No backup camera was the first symptom. Turned car off and on twice. No joy. Parked car and went to a meeting. After: All is well again.

Has anyone been to their dealer to get the software update? Was it effective?

I certainly wish my dealer would have let me know (in March!), instead of sending me notices for discounts on oil changes.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I was just hit with the Black Screen O' Death. I hadn't read about Home+FF. No backup camera was the first symptom. Turned car off and on twice. No joy. Parked car and went to a meeting. After: All is well again.

Has anyone been to their dealer to get the software update? Was it effective?

I certainly wish my dealer would have let me know (in March!), instead of sending me notices for discounts on oil changes.
GM and it's dealers don't send out notifications of TSB's. People with these symptoms come in for service. The techs use the system to look up TSB's for this complaint and apply it to the vehicles that have this problem. Some problems only affect certain vehicles as noted in this TSB.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts