Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

"The US spending bill just agreed to last night includes extension of tax credits for home EV charger installations, electric motorcycles, and fuel-cell vehicles.

These credits were previously extended through the end of 2017, though that time the extension was retroactive, as taxpayers didn’t know about the incentive during the incentive period. Now, those credits have been extended retroactively again — covering the last two years, since 2017. They’ve also been extended forward through the end of 2020."

"Due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station, a 10% credit (up to $2,500) on 2- or 3-wheeled electric vehicles such as electric motorcycles, and a $4,000 credit for the purchase of a new fuel-cell vehicle.

These credits previously expired at the end of 2017, but will now be available through the end of 2020. The credits are available retroactively. Presumably, this means that taxpayers can and should file amended returns for previous years."

NICE! I guess I can recoup 30% of my NEMA 14-50 install.

Now I am tempted to buy a higher power portable EVSE too.

:)

Reactions: Slaa and opsdave

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bought a portable L2 with a 14-50 plug, and installed a 14-50 outlet. What's not clear to me is whether any, all, or none of this applies to the tax credit. Technically I did not "install" the EVSE. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone buying? What brand/model? Clipper Creek is quite expensive (almost 2x some of the units being sold on eBay) for the charge rate, but with 30% tax credit, it's not that much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Anyone buying? What brand/model? Clipper Creek is quite expensive (almost 2x some of the units being sold on eBay) for the charge rate, but with 30% tax credit, it's not that much more expensive.
Since any EVSE you install would get a 30% discount, it would still be more expensive than 'the other' (if both got the 30% discount, and the Clp Crk was twice as expensive before the 30% discount, it would still be twice as expensive after the discount).

·
Registered
326 Posts
I assume this is on the total cost of installation, which includes the run from my panel to the garage which, added onto the EVSE (Juice Box 40 Pro), will put me over the $1k max. Of course I'm going to take advantage.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since any EVSE you install would get a 30% discount, it would still be more expensive than 'the other' (if both got the 30% discount, and the Clp Crk was twice as expensive before the 30% discount, it would still be twice as expensive after the discount).
Yes, but dollar difference is reduced. Additional consideration is how long each unit would last... in some cases, it's cheaper to just pay more initially for a better designed/high quality unit.

$2 - $1 = $1
$1.4 - $0.7 = $0.7

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Actually, one may then want to get a Tesla portable charger with the J1772 to Tesla adapter/Tesla Tap. It's an expensive set up, but something that becomes useful if you plan to get Tesla for your next EV... and, of course, it's sold out. :(

... maybe just a good opportunity buy a J1772 to Tesla adapter/Tesla Tap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want the ultimate EVSE I suggest the JESLA. I don't have one but I want one.

Anyone know how this is handled for homeowner-installed EVSEs? I recently did a 100 foot run and added a subpanel to install two EVSEs for concurrent charging. It would have been $$ had I been billing myself for the labor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with Clipper Creek because I've heard from friends that their products use good quality materials and also because they are local (Auburn, CA) to where I live. I have no way to verify those claims myself, but rely on what I've been told.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Anyone know how this is handled for homeowner-installed EVSEs? I recently did a 100 foot run and added a subpanel to install two EVSEs for concurrent charging. It would have been $$ had I been billing myself for the labor.
I assume you need to have paid for the installation. You can go ahead and claim it, but you'll need to show a receipt if you are ever audited.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I assume you need to have paid for the installation. You can go ahead and claim it, but you'll need to show a receipt if you are ever audited.
This is why I didn't bother with it when I self installed my EVSE by plugging it into an existing 50 amp circuilt with a 14 50 outlet. Maybe the savings would be worth it to other, but a few hundred dollars isn't enough for me to risk an initially friendly audit becoming a deep dive for every little mistake I may have made on my taxes unintentionally.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Is this a federal tax credit that is applicable in all states? I'm due $3750 since I bought my Bolt in June but I also paid a little over $1000 to have a level 2 charger installed. Does the level 2 charger rebate add to the $3750?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is this a federal tax credit that is applicable in all states? I'm due $3750 since I bought my Bolt in June but I also paid a little over $1000 to have a level 2 charger installed. Does the level 2 charger rebate add to the $3750?

Thanks,
Mike
They're completely separate, and it looks like a federal so should be applicable in all states.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On another post, a user states he was not eligible due to hitting AMT and Form 8911 (claiming on business use) in 2017. So I guess do your research to make sure it is applicable in your situation before jumping in to buy. (If primary reason is for the 30% tax credit).

·
Registered
112 Posts
That same bill originally extended the full federal tax credit for EV's until 600,000 units were sold (vice 200,000) so that Teslas and the Bolt would again be eligible for the tax break. Unfortunately, President Trump said he would veto the bill if that provision was included, so it was dropped. I say unfortunately because I believe that we need to ramp up EV adoption much faster than we are doing. I saw a prediction that EV sales are only expected to be 7.5% of new sales in the U.S. by 2030, when they really need to be 80% by then. Norway is already at 50% and most of Europe is outlawing new sales of ICE cars (with some exceptions for trucks or farm vehicles) by 2030. China and India are moving that way too. India is requiring the conversion of all 3-wheelers to electric by 2023 (I think.) We need to lead, not lag.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Upping units to 600K per manufacturer is the wrong way to do it. IF you agree that giving money back to people for buying electric vehicles is the way to go, then it should just have a "sell by" date when it should expire for all manufacturers at the same time.

Also, it should phase out for the more expensive EVs - starting at $30K (before taxes). Say, you lose 10 cents of tax credit for every $1 spent between $30K and $40K, 20c for every $1 spent between $40K and $50K, and 30c for every dollar over $50K. (Frankly, if you are going to buy a new car for $60K, you don't need a rebate.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts