Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to toot my own horn. After getting a quote for $500 from an electrician, I decided to install the 240v (NEMA 14-50) receptacle myself. I'm kinda handy and did some extensive research. Saved about $430 after buying everything needed for the install. I was lucky in that the receptacle location needed was directly behind the breaker panel (located outside the garage). Made for a much easier install. Connected my JuiceBox Pro 40 EVSE and it's working great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you use a GFCI breaker for your 240vac circuit? If so, where did you buy it and how much did it cost? My electrician didn't use a GFCI and wondering if I should swap it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, it is not GFCI. However, check local codes regarding what is required. If a professional electrician did the install, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It is recommended not to use a GFI circuit breaker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my city you are only required to submit a form by email what work you are doing for minor work such as this. Then a permit is given if approved. Probably good to have for insurance purposes as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, that's so interesting that a GFCI isn't required (either by the maker or by code). It makes me feel better.

I noted that the OpenEVSE has a built-in GFCI, so maybe the JuiceBox does as well. You don't want two GFCI's in a circuit.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
How would a city know if you had installed a receptacle? Is there a file that lists every circuit that was installed when the house was constructed?

$70 is about what I paid to install my 14-50r, but I ran about 12ft of wire from the breaker, up the wall, and over the garage so that it's mounted centrally in the ceiling.

No such outlet at my new house, but I've got the same access above the garage as the last house so it should go smoothly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How would a city know if you had installed a receptacle? Is there a file that lists every circuit that was installed when the house was constructed?
They wouldn't, but it's the insurance company I would worry about. If a fire occurred and they traced it back to a receptacle that looked self-installed, and then checked to see if a permit and inspection was done and there was none on record, I'll bet they'd use that to try and deny any claims.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The insurance claim would still be covered. It protects against accidents as well as acts of god. Installing something incorrectly is an accident.

I'm not advocating people circumvent the law, but I am saying I wouldn't bother, especially since it's my house, not the city.

I don't know the scenario in which someone would incorrectly install a 240v circuit that causes a fire unless they severely underrated the wiring and overrated the breaker.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The insurance claim would still be covered. It protects against accidents as well as acts of god. Installing something incorrectly is an accident.

I'm not advocating people circumvent the law, but I am saying I wouldn't bother, especially since it's my house, not the city.

I don't know the scenario in which someone would incorrectly install a 240v circuit that causes a fire unless they severely underrated the wiring and overrated the breaker.
You may be right, but for me it's about minimizing risk. Even if I did install the receptacle correctly myself, what recourse would I have if there was a fire and the insurance company said they found that it was installed incorrectly (justified or not)? I'd rather pay a small fee to my township and have their inspector say it's OK. Just my personal preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
neutrondrip
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing