Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sean, you haven't shopped for one?. There are dozens of battery powered grinders. Forty bucks will get you one at Harbor Freight.

They've long been a favorite of thieves stealing expensive bicycles and burglars breaking into homes and storage units.

jack vines
...and catalytic converters. There are several videos on YouTube that show thieves grinding away at chains and locks on bikes and scooters, throwing showers of sparks, while oblivious pedestrians walk by with nary a glance.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Hey, bought my first cordless drill just a couple of months ago. Don't tell me I'm not hip with these youngsters!!!

In my defence, I've been studiously avoiding cordless tools ever since they first came out because they all depend on batteries that eventually die, and the proprietary batteries always seem to change so that when you need a new one it can't be found, requiring you to buy a brand new tool. Planned obsolescence, in other words. I'm still using tools I bought 40 years go, the idea of tools as consumables has always irked me.

I'm slowly coming to appreciate the convenience of cordless for quick-and-dirty projects, though - hence my cordless screwdriver and drill.
If you're at all handy around wires and connectors, buy yourself a desktop spot welder. When I needed to replace the battery pack on an AED for my parents and myself, I found that it was $200 for eight three dollar batteries in a plastic case. I instead spent $200 on a spot welder, bought the individual cells and welded up a new pack...with superior, higher-performance batteries. I've rebuilt countless battery packs for those AEDs, power tools, wine openers etc. The spot welder paid for itself with the AED pack, and I've saved hundreds since then.

My next project is to rebuild the packs for mine and the wife's e-bikes. $400 apiece to buy, but can be rebuilt with fifty bucks of new, higher-capacity, lithium ion cells.

Rebuilding battery packs lengthens the life of products too, reducing stuff sent to the land-fill.

Win-win.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
If you're at all handy around wires and connectors, buy yourself a desktop spot welder.
I took the advice of someone somewhere on this forum and bought myself an impact wrench to change my tires with - man that's something I wish I'd done a long time ago. Maybe a spot welder should be next on the list...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts