Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV LT IceBlue
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I ordered my OPT7 rear hatch LED brake light direct from OPT7. Installed with many pictures. Sorry if you did not like my install but I did what worked for me.
Ok so here goes:
Start at the rear hatch handle removal this requires T15 bit for the screw and then a gentle pull kinda downward to remove the handle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV LT IceBlue
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next I removed both side middle plastic parts the ones with the curve at the top. These are kinda funky to get out because there are 2 metal clips and a plastic push type pin which you kinda have to push in the ends at the body with a trim tool to make it let go.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Automotive tire Crankset Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,484 Posts
Love it!
But where does this light point when the hatch is open?
I'd position it to light up the hatch floor area.

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV LT IceBlue
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After both side parts are removed you are ready to drop the lower plastic the largest part. This can be removed again by simply pulling gently until it comes loose.
Hood Automotive lighting Building Bumper Vehicle door
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV LT IceBlue
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok now you can prep several things coming up at this point. 1st thing that is did was replace the sticky tape on the OPT7 light as what came on it was not so great. I used 3M moulding auto tape double sided in 7/8 inch and 1/2 inch.
Prep the light strip with rubbing alcohol and let it dry also clean black area on the hatch above the running lights the same way so it will be quite clean.
I then put a strip of 7/8 wide and 1/2 wide double sided 3M tape on the light strip.
Now go to the hatch area and test fit your light bar before removing the tape backing. Once it sticks well you know.
Ok now you have an idea where this unit needs to set so remove the backing and carefully set the strip onto the hatch area kinda spacing it from the window but not so far that the strip gets a large bend. Press it down to stick it and then I used a heat gun/hairdryer to get the tape good and warm so it stuck really good.
Ok now your wiring job comes next. Notice the plug that is un plugged this is power for the High mount brake light
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV LT IceBlue
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok now I had to run the wire for the LED strip to the power connector . I came around the side of the rear running light and used more moulding tape to make the jump to the underside. There I used a ring connector and opened it up slightly to help route the wire to another piece of moulding tape and set it up to be wired along side of the current wires under the plastic inside the hatch.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This is why I love this forum. These step by step how tos especially for the casual DIYer (I count myself as one) are so helpful. Thank you for doing this. It looks great. Looking forward to doing this.

But first, I need GM to accept my order. It’s been more than 4 weeks since it was placed. :confused:

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV Summit White
16 Posts
Nice write up. I didn't remove all the panels, i only removed the top one behind the third brake light. You can still route the cables under in case people don't feel like removing the panels.

Also, i have been using the 3M tape that came with the light and have no problems so far.

This is by far the best solution that looks somewhat stock

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV LT IceBlue
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice write up. I didn't remove all the panels, i only removed the top one behind the third brake light. You can still route the cables under in case people don't feel like removing the panels.

Also, i have been using the 3M tape that came with the light and have no problems so far.

This is by far the best solution that looks somewhat stock
Thank you for the inspiration for this. I have felt much better knowing that the person behind me sees when I hit my brake instead of seeing them come flying up on me. These LED light bars light up nice and bright. Thank you sir.!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts