Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
One day, ABRP won't be necessary. Do you need something like this for ICE trips? There was a time, early in the ICE adoption curve that fuel stops were scarce and careful planning was required for long trips. They lacked the internet and tools we have today, but eventually, ubiquitous fuel stops made ICE travel almost effortless.

I dream of the day when enough 150kW+ DC charging exists along travel corridors where I can stop when my body needs a break, grab a 15 minute boost and continue on my way. No planning, just pack up and go.

I dream of the day when states and federal highway planners see put solar + storage + 150kW chargers in all of the rest stops. Add the longer range of future EVs, faster charging capabilities in these future EVs, and supplement the rest stop charging with ubiquitous 150+ kW charging at restaurants and gas stations along the route. Where every hotel along travel routes has adequate L2 plugs for a majority of guests. And where freeway signage includes info on charging as well a gas and food.

That day will be the day you can simply get in your EV and go anywhere, without planning.
I would say yes. On road trips in my gas cars, I always use Gas Buddy to plan out gas and rest stops. Some places, you need to fill up before the last station right before a long stretch of nothingness... that last station tend to charge a much higher price.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would say yes. On road trips in my gas cars, I always use Gas Buddy to plan out gas and rest stops. Some places, you need to fill up before the last station right before a long stretch of nothingness... that last station tend to charge a much higher price.
Same. This was particularly relevant when I was driving a diesel and not every station would have a pump for it or the pump would be broken. It was much better than the state of EV charging, but I've been blocked from the one diesel pump by someone using it for parking plenty of times.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts