Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to the left controls on your steering wheel if you have a.loaded premier. Click the center collision avoidance button. You get a Inst Panel screen that allows you to choose the detection distance. Look at the upper right hand corner and you see a 'dog ear' or 'book mark' indication. Hitting any of the buttons other than that center again (to change the distance) does nothing.

I'm a software engineer and I can tell you this isn't an accident, it was put there on purpose and means one of two things. First, it indicates that this is a page you can bookmark and quick jump back to. This doesn't make a lot of sense however, nowhere else AFAIK is a bookmark concept used in the GUI, and it has a dedicated steering wheel button so you hardly need a bookmark.

Two, these are used to indicate 1 of N pages. In this case using the up down arrows would normally go up/down to a difference screen. Elsewhere in the Instrument dash GUI they indicate this with little triangle boxes (up/down or left/right).

My opinion? It's a not so hidden Easter Egg. They're really telling us "more to come". Next OTA they will replace it with up/down triangles for future "collision avoidance" features.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hope you're right, but more likely it's just a case of sloppy design.
Zero chance of that. It took more effort to do that than to have nothing, it's done nowhere else. These screens go under extensive review and QA. Nope, it's there for some unknown reason. *

* automotive typically use UML modeling and rigorous requirements mgmt due to ISO compliance. This is an obvious indicator that is as clear as a turd in the punchbowl, it didn't get missed

·
Registered
624 Posts
the bluetooth connection screen on the instrument panel (when my phone connects automatically when i start the car) has the same dogear, and it' not interactive at all, it's just a notification. is there a chance this cue is left over from something else? does the bolt inherit any software from the volt?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, I just noticed that the "Charge cord connected" instrument 'pop up' also has the dog ear, so it's not entirely unique. No it wouldn't be something left from the Bolt, these automotive guys are anal-obsessive and don't miss details like that. So, OK I get it, it's indicating a popup type screen - a temporary that will auto remove itself - that's the feature all of these screens share.

Darn, it was such a good theory but yeah, it's just to mean it's a popup temporary. Well we can keep hoping ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts