Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can provide information on insurance rates for the Bolt. Are they typically higher/lower than for a standard car of the same value? Are there insurers offering discounts for EVs?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My agent said they are higher on ev and hybrid cars. My premium is 116 per month. I'm sure deductible and other things factor in too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, higher for sure. High cost, aluminum body panels, expensive batteries, commuter vehicle. Overall cost of ownership will likely balance out with lower cost per mile of operation factors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A few months ago when I switched from my old 2009 Infiniti FX 50S to a 2013 Volt my insurance went down about by about 3 dollars a month. I called GEICO to complain that given the comparative value and horsepower differences of the cars my insurance should have dropped by more than $3. The first agent I spoke to said Volts are expensive to insure because they are part electric. I didn't buy that. I called around and got much better quotes from other providers. I called GEICO back and gave them those figures. The agent said that the other companies must have been running their quotes using some new method based on credit score and that she'd run GEICO's version for me. My insurance dropped by over $70 dollars a month for the exact same coverage. So maybe insurance on a Volt and other electric cars is higher, but it is certainly may be worth calling your company to make sure that they've applied every applicable discount and used every calculation method to make sure that you are getting the best rate that you can.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Best to call your company and see if they can apply any additional discounts to your policy. I'm with Allstate and they give me discounts for winter tires, taking a safety program, new vehicle discount, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I called my Safeco auto insurance agent in Grants Pass, Oregon and she quoted $993. per year for a Bolt EV Premier model. I'm preparing to lease a Bolt EV (LP $43,510). I don't know how the Bolt insurance rate compares to a comparably priced ICE car. BTW - My insurance agent said that she has never heard of a Chevy Bolt EV.
I am waiting to see if GM launches a lease incentive for the Bolt EV starting on May 1st before I make the leap.
ALSO - first time ever - I saw a Bolt EV, in the wild, parked in Grants Pass, Oregon on Tuesday, April 25.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got an incredible drop in insurance rates on my new Bolt vs my 2012 Volt, simply by switching my insurance to the Canadian Automobile Association...$1037 plus taxes. They apparently do their own underwriting.

To be fair, I think that I qualified for every discount they offered, including snow tires to be used from and to specific calendar rates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of the biggest ways to save money on your auto insurance policy is by simply shopping around. I am currently working with this estimate..

Bodily Injury $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident
Property Damage $100,000 per accident
Personal Injury Protection $2,500 per person
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists
Bodily Injury $250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident
Property Damage $100,000 per accident- $250 deductible
Physical Damage Comprehensive - $50 deductible

As a rule of thumb, you should plan on getting at least five quotes from different insurance companies. You can call agents in your area, contact the companies directly, or apply online. Though currently looking with this useful resource for buying new insurance for the vehicle. Also, your state insurance department may have rate comparisons on the major insurance providers that they can give you. This way you will not only get a good insurance for your home but you will also get a cheap quote on your insurance policy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my insurance didnt change much. I was paying 80$/monthly for an 09 dodge caliber, and i'm paying 89$/monthly for the bolt. (ontario, canada)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^ $508 for six months w/o Collision, add $330 for "Actual Cash Value" collision w/$900 deductible.

I have a 19yo and 20yo on my policy (thank God they're both girls) so I pay dearly for that!

My total for our four cars is $2,065 for six months.... before we added the kids- it was less than half of that figure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I changed insurers after shopping my two BEV 's. An I-Miev and the Bolt. $883 for both cars. It was so much lower than my other quotes that I asked are you certain? They said yes we had your earlier policy and the coverages are the same. It really paid off getting multiple quotes as my existing insurer quoted over $2000 for an annual premium.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My insurance is right around $1000, but I get low deductibles and get things like roadside assistance. We are insuring a $40,000 plus car with new vehicle replacement, so it would be difficult to get insurance for much cheaper in California. I also have extremely high mileage per year on the Bolt, probably close to 25,000 miles per year. Plus I get a huge discount on my house insurance by putting our cars under the same insurance.

The funny thing was when I was getting insurance for the Bolt the lady asked me how many cylinders my engine had. I said 0, she said that wasn't a choice. I had to talk to the person in charge to explain it was a new EV and didn't have an ICE.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts