Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It's all still just talk till it appears on the showroom floor.

2020 is only four short months away.... "where's the beef?"

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
Hmmmm...

Ford now believes it has solved the problem that has vexed manufacturers for a decade: how to make EVs that are popular and profitable.
I think Tesla has already achieved this. Tesla the company is not profitable, Tesla the Model 3 is and it's certainly popular.

This statement is just depressing to me.-

We could do all sorts of different things, but we're going to play to what we're good at: commercial vehicles, vans, pickups, performance vehicles and SUVs.
They're basically admitting that they aren't any good at what used to be their core business for 100 years, making cars. That's sad for someone like me who has owned several Ford cars and much prefers cars.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
This statement is just depressing to me.-

They're basically admitting that they aren't any good at what used to be their core business for 100 years, making cars. That's sad for someone like me who has owned several Ford cars and much prefers cars.
The article said the Focus EV, C-Max, and Fusion plug-in were forgettable. I've heard decent things about the Focus EV, and I find the C-Max and Fusion to be among the best cars I've driven; especially the Fusion. It's a shame those are going away and not being superseded by something equally compelling.

You left out the preceding sentence in your quote, which is among the most important in the whole article; "We're coming in at the right time". That's a reference to getting into the EV game at the right time, and implies that everyone else that jumped into the EV game did so prematurely. The evidence would be that EVs aren't profitable. Tesla is the most invested in EVs, and it's still unclear if they can be profitable long-term.

The exciting thing to me is the F150 EV. That's exactly the type of vehicle that the first hybrids should have started with, and then the first vehicles to fully go electric. I expect large vehicles or performance cars to have the potential of being profitable; not the econoboxes.

If I were a Ford investor, I'd be encouraged by this article as it sounds like they are focused on what matters; delivering products that appeal to consumers that can be sold for a profit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The article said the Focus EV, C-Max, and Fusion plug-in were forgettable. I've heard decent things about the Focus EV, and I find the C-Max and Fusion to be among the best cars I've driven; especially the Fusion. It's a shame those are going away and not being superseded by something equally compelling.
I agree on the C-Max, my wife leased a C-Max Energi and it was a great car for us.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree on the C-Max, my wife leased a C-Max Energi and it was a great car for us.
I bought a CMax in 2015, and my wife still loves it. It is a great compliment to the Bolt. As the DCFC infrastructure grows, we road trip with it less and less. We still occasionally take it for a long trip, especially if there are time constraints.

Ford did make some great PHEVs. But their EV efforts have been less than stellar, between the Focus and the older Ranger EV. So I would definitely be "shocked and surprised" if they made a truly compelling BEV which is priced competitively with comparable ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Someone let me know when the F-150 actually comes OUT to buy :)
I may be the 1st in line but I am not camping out to wait.
Ford always talks a lot and then delivers eons later ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Lin19687
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing