Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was pulling into the library for a little opportunity charging but there was an Orange Bolt that pulled in right in front of me. Luckily there are two chargers here so we were both able to park and charge.

I chatted with the driver for a bit. He's had his Bolt for about a month now and is reasonably happy with it. He asked whether I had the DC Fast charge option and whether I had installed a L2 charger.

What was interesting is that he volunteered that he's leasing the Bolt and is only driving it until he can get into a Model 3 he reserved some time ago. I mentioned that he could be waiting a while and he said he's "already in the system" (not sure what that means other than he has a reservation).

We talked for a bit more but I thought it was pretty interesting that here's a guy who wants to drive an EV but can't get into the one he really wants so he's driving the only other one available. How does that song go? If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I take it Orange Bolt owner is awaiting the mystical $35K TM3?

I say this because he can purchase a TM3 right now and get delivery by mid May:
Tesla Model 3 Reservation Ready to Design 4 Week Delivery

I've said this here before, having a $1,000 'TM3 Rez' is bling by itself to many people. Otherwise why risk the loss of the $7500 tax credit (as well as other potential incentives that will expire), and all the attention of being the first on ones block when one can mitigate all that with a crummy $2 Grand? This so-called demand doesn't seem to manifest itself in the open markets on eBay. Only about 25% of the reservation listings actually sell.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah...I was one of those poor sops until I wisened up...2 reservations for the mythical $35,000 model 3 which will be delivered in the priority of the ordering sequence from west to east...SURE Elon.

Glad i got smart in time...and got my money back.

Got my Bolt AND my $7,500 tax credit.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yeah...I was one of those poor sops until I wisened up...2 reservations for the mythical $35,000 model 3 which will be delivered in the priority of the ordering sequence from west to east...SURE Elon.

Glad i got smart in time...and got my money back.

Got my Bolt AND my $7,500 tax credit.
Yeah. I've been telling Tesla fanboys that unless their car shows up before the end of the year, they'll be $7500 poorer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I wanted a Bolt couldn't see myself buying a Tesla, my first car was a GM car and over the years I have owned hundreds of GM cars.

My best selling cars were GM's, because I could sell them, I did buy quite a few Chrysler cars, but the most were GM's.

They were easy to repair and very easy to sell, that was why I bought so many of them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A lot of Chevy fanboys in the forum today. This is my first GM product and only my second US car in 30 years of driving. I like the Bolt and agree that it is probably the best car GM has ever produced. The only other American car I owned was a 85 Chrysler Laser (like a Daytona) and it was a pile of crap. Generally, I'd consider myself a Honda person -- my wife and both daughters drive Hondas. Unfortunately for me, Honda does not make an EV that is worth a darn, so I had to go with a domestic EV, and the Bolt was the one.

All that said, I really do like my Bolt. Just the other morning, one of the people in a bootcamp class I attend commented that it was a sharp looking car.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
:)I didn't settle for a Bolt, I chose a Bolt. Eight months and counting, solid choice.
This is my case for sure. There has only been two possibilities for me. Either the Bolt, or the Model 3. All other "affordable" BEVs out there have pathetic range and won't work for me. All the other Teslas are crazy expensive and there is no way I'm paying that much for a car, so it was these two.

I watched the Model 3 reveal like everybody else... and was so disappointed. Blow #1 was no lift gate like the Model S. That in itself is a deal breaker. Blow #2 was the ridiculous iPad drive system. I hate the way it looks and I fight with the touch screen on my phone enough, no need to add in my daily driver to the list of annoyances. I am also not a fan of potential single point failures. Blow #3 was the probability (now looking to be true) that I would never get the $7500 tax credit.

All of this added up to a Bolt sale over a year ago with no regrets. To this day, I still don't see any solid evidence that any car company anywhere is going to produce a BEV anytime soon that would temp me to trade. I read the EV news too and of all the concepts out there that will be available by the usual supposed 2020-21-22-23-24-25 time frame, none so far replace the Bolt in performance, value and utility.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Exactly what DaV8or said!

I am amazed and horrified every day. The media is loaded with EV "news" 24/7. Yet there is currently exactly ONE almost affordable, reasonable range, EV sold outside California. Nobody outside EV nuts has ever heard of it. None of my friends have the slightest interest in it. Everybody has heard of Tesla, and "knows" it is the EV we will all be driving soon to save the planet, and be totally connected to the internet of things. What a load of delusional horse apples.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:)I didn't settle for a Bolt, I chose a Bolt. Eight months and counting, solid choice.
I'm with Don -1-, I have been a diehard GM new vehicle buyer since 1983.
I was a very skeptical GM buyer, but now an unabashed Bolt diehard.
I went for a try-out in November when my old ICE had transmission problems, knew my TM3 reservation would take a LONG time, and that I might need to beat the clock on the $7500 credit (didn't turn out that way, but was very welcome this month).
I was sold from the first hard acceleration. Still sold and a great, fun to drive and very practical car.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nice post raitchison. This guy sounds a lot like someone I know. After multiple test-drives, I can attest that there is a lot to like in the Bolt, and it wouldn't surprise me that he just keeps going with it. Regarding a 75% cancellation rate on the Model 3, that certainly isn't the impression I get listening in on the other gang over on the Tesla forum.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Are the Tesla Model 3 reservations transferable? The eBay postings suggest they are, but I wonder what Tesla has to say about this matter.

I have owned five cars in the past forty plus years: the first two were well used Volvo 544s that I drove for almost ten years. The next was a new Honda Civic that I drove for over sixteen years. The next was a new Honda Accord that I also drove for over sixteen years. I bought my Bolt (new) before Christmas last year. I expect it to last at least ten years.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you follow what Tesla has said publicly, the reservations are not supposed to be transferable, which may answer at least in part shotel's question. Having said that, I have read on the other forum people transferring to a friend. So in conclusion... don't know for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here in Canada the Tesla 3 was announced as not being available at the base price, only with another 12-15k$ of additional options. Bad surprise for those with a deposit on, hoping to get a reasonably priced car. First GM car for me. Been Honda forever except a sad moment with a Caravan, at that time, too many kids, not enough money. 4,000km on the Bolt. Love it!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Are the Tesla Model 3 reservations transferable?
Evidently there is a minor convoluted process to game the Tesla restrictions on reservation transferability. I deduce from the sold listings, and positive transaction responses that whatever is being done is successful.

I also imagine that Tesla isn't breaking their necks to turn down any $60K buyers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts