Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?269897-Bolt-EV-test-drive-color-me-disappointed

Posted by member Charge. Not sure if he's over here or not, but I appreciated his candid review. I guess I've got some thinking to do, as the seat comfort seems to be mentioned more and more often by people who aren't getting paid to write nice things about cars. :)

I did an impromptu test drive of the Bolt today at Momentum Chevy in San Jose. I happened to be driving nearby and was behind an orange Bolt so I followed it for a couple blocks to the dealership.

Quick background. I've been thru a lot of cars in the last 10 years, everything including SUV's, sedans, coupes and cabs. Brands from MB, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Acura, Toyota and Honda as well as two Volts. My 2nd Volt lease is set to expire in March and I've been waiting to get Bolt as I really liked both my Volts. My teenager just got their license and has taken over driving duties of the Volt since Aug. I leased an X5 40e for myself in August but wanted a full electric and I thought the Bolt would be it.

Anyway a quick scan of my license and we were off in an orange prem model. I didn't even leave the parking lot before noticing how bad the drivers seat was! It was like they took all the padding out of the seat as well as the springs. I sunk into the seat and the side bolsters (lower and back) kept me locked in an unmovable position. There was no wiggle room or adjustment - at all. I thought they left part of the seat out, it was very uncomfortable to say the least. BTW, I'm 6' 2" and 195 lbs. with a thin build.

Leaving the parking lot the car felt great, and the L range was very nice bringing the car to a complete stop if desired. I didn't mess with the displays much as I mainly wanted to drive the car. We got onto the freeway and I floored it and the car felt very quick, much quicker than my Volt. It drove great on the highway but I was still struggling with that darn seat.

Arriving back at the dealership I started to notice all the hard plastic in the interior. The dash, door panels console, etc. were very obvious. I hadn't noticed this nearly as much when I sat in the car at the SF auto show last month. I guess a few months of driving my X5 made me notice these things much more.

I asked the sales guy about leasing and he said they don't have numbers yet. They are expecting 44 cars on the 27th and when those arrive they will have firm lease and purchase numbers.

After waiting for the Bolt for many months and pretty much deciding I would be leasing one at some point I now have to reconsider. The drivers seat was just plain awful and I don't see a way to fix it. I'm not totally crossing it off my list yet as I will wait to try a few others when they arrive at the dealership before I make up my mind. Maybe the seat in the LT model will fit me better, I sure hope so.

PS Also drove the new Honda CRV. Very nice and great bang for the buck. Fully loaded with safety features for $31K and more cargo room than my X5.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The plastic bits can be overlooked, but is the seat really that bad? Can someone who's driven one chime in on the seat?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rode in one today at Fremont Chevrolet (seemed like a nice team at the dealership btw). It was a Silver Metallic Ice Premiere. I found the seats perfectly comfortable, as did my husband. We are not large people- I am 5'7" and my husband is 5'10" and we both wear a size medium in clothes. The seats felt fine- I noticed no potential red flags for long-drive comfort.

What I loved about the Bolt was the great visibility- I felt very confident changing lanes, backing up, etc... The poor visibility was really a deal-breaker on the Volt for me, so I was relieved to find the Bolt much better. As for the plastic interior- I was expecting it be bad but really didn't feel like it seemed cheap. Keep in mind that I'm going to be trading in a base model 2002 Toyota Camry so any new car feels like a space shuttle to me in terms of technology. The one thing that felt flimsy and cheap to me was the false "floor" of the trunk (there might be a technical term for this but can't remember it). I would honestly worry about placing anything remotely heavy on top of it.

My other impressions of the car were pretty spot on with reviews that I've read- it looks very tiny from the outside but feels surprisingly spacious inside. My 6'2" father and the 6'4" salesperson rode in the back and each had several inches of room in front of their knees and above their heads. My husband tried out the one pedal driving and loved it- I forgot to try it in our quick drive.

They said that they are getting at least 20 calls a day about the Bolt and that they expected to take 100 people out in the test model today.

The test drive sealed the deal for us- can't wait to take ours home.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hopefully it will be possible to easily bolt in front seats from another car. Maybe the Leaf? If not, aftermarket is a possibility. Still, for a leased car, that's a lot of work just to be able to sit comfortably while driving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On my test drive I found the seats to be fine. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs. They look thinner than normal seats, but I was completely comfy. I've been driving a Leaf for 3 1/2 years.

·
Registered
172 Posts
On my test drive I found the seats to be fine. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs. They look thinner than normal seats, but I was completely comfy. I've been driving a Leaf for 3 1/2 years.
Hopefully I'll feel the same. I've been driving a Leaf for 3 1/2 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts