Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's probably the parking brake, an electric parking brake which is positioned quite naturally with use of the shifter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Depends on the way you shift. I'm usually heavy handed when it comes to putting my hand on the shift knob so I may accidentally push it.
Looks like the AC/Heat option is bare bones.

I don't see a button for heated seats. Granted it'll drain the battery but it gets cold up north...

·
Registered
639 Posts
That depends on what's required to active the brake, if it's just a quick push that takes no less than a second or if its a press and hold thing. Plus you have to consider the fact that it won't engage when the vehicle is moving, that has more than likely been put into consideration.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It all looks good and is pretty in line with what we saw with the Volt with some slight changes.

What do you think the big red button is for? Is there a self-destruct feature?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you think the big red button is for? Is there a self-destruct feature?
You see that commonly on test vehicles. Usually it's a rapid engine/motor shut-off, in case something goes awry with the prototype's powertrain, which is in testing after all.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You see that commonly on test vehicles. Usually it's a rapid engine/motor shut-off, in case something goes awry with the prototype's powertrain, which is in testing after all.
At the GM-Volt forum it was called the "Oh, Sh!t!" button.:D

Really, a pure EV doesn't need any shift level or knob. That is a legacy device from the manual shift days. EVs never shift! And there are many gas engine vehicles, including the Lincoln MKZ which I have personally driven, that use push buttons:
http://blog2.id.com.au/wp-content/uploads/mkz13_feat_billboard_6speed.jpg

A paddle or level on the steering wheel can do the "PRND" functions better and another paddle can do "Low" or "Sport" mode, too. "Shifting" is a function that physically changes the status and direction, so the EV must be stopped and the driver do a real physical and mental action to change it. But it can be done with fingertips, and not need a large mechanical device for it. Save weight and space in the cabin!

·
Registered
428 Posts
At the GM-Volt forum it was called the "Oh, Sh!t!" button.:D

Really, a pure EV doesn't need any shift level or knob. That is a legacy device from the manual shift days. EVs never shift! And there are many gas engine vehicles, including the Lincoln MKZ which I have personally driven, that use push buttons:
http://blog2.id.com.au/wp-content/uploads/mkz13_feat_billboard_6speed.jpg

A paddle or level on the steering wheel can do the "PRND" functions better and another paddle can do "Low" or "Sport" mode, too. "Shifting" is a function that physically changes the status and direction, so the EV must be stopped and the driver do a real physical and mental action to change it. But it can be done with fingertips, and not need a large mechanical device for it. Save weight and space in the cabin!
But I think it can also be partly for looks and it could also be for the experience of it. Having the driver have motions and levers to operate the vehicle makes them more engaged. I don't think its really worse than buttons instead. Just a matter of style.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Could be for safety, at least if something goes wrong you have the option to disconnect the transmission from engine.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I hope white is an interior trim option or something of a lighter shade. It complimented the orange exterior very well in the Bolt concept model even if the interior design is different.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yup, that position is quite common in a lot of cars for the engine start to be placed, have yet to see it placed elsewhere in any vehicles priced like it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Good to see that they stuck with a full digital speed cluster and it looks a lot nicer than the rectangular one in their concept vehicle.
Same here.

The Chevy Spark has this small cluster that I was worried would be part of something new that spreads to other models but fortuantely it stopped their.

They did well here!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Larger digital cluster seems to be where the industry is heading so I'd be surprised if the Bolt followed the Spark and I'm glad they didn't. I don't want to squint in order to see my speed and other necessary info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts