Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear view camera is intermittently not working on my 2017 Bolt Premiere. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
which one? The rear view mirror one or the backup camera? Rear view mirror camera has been flawless on my Premier. Wonder if you have a loose wire. Can you make it cut out when you adjust the mirror?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I am talking about the rear view camera, NOT the rear view mirror camera (that one works perfectly).

I know the cameras don't come on in Park or above 5 mph. This is a different problem. When I put the car in reverse, the rear view camera does not come on about 3/4 of the time (just started about a week ago). the 360 view is there, but the part of the display which would show the rear view camera view is black. Putting the car in drive brings up the front view camera, it is just the rear view image that is missing when in reverse.

I guess I need to head to the dealer, it is a lease so hopefully no charge.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
So, I am talking about the rear view camera, NOT the rear view mirror camera (that one works perfectly).

I know the cameras don't come on in Park or above 5 mph. This is a different problem. When I put the car in reverse, the rear view camera does not come on about 3/4 of the time (just started about a week ago). the 360 view is there, but the part of the display which would show the rear view camera view is black. Putting the car in drive brings up the front view camera, it is just the rear view image that is missing when in reverse.

I guess I need to head to the dealer, it is a lease so hopefully no charge.
seems like the rear camera is working if the bird's eye view shows the proper image. would think if the camera stopped working that the video stitching would show black behind the graphic of the car in the overhead view. wonder if they use a video splitter or something to show the two images or it's all done with software.

·
Registered
624 Posts
seems like the rear camera is working if the bird's eye view shows the proper image. would think if the camera stopped working that the video stitching would show black behind the graphic of the car in the overhead view. wonder if they use a video splitter or something to show the two images or it's all done with software.
aren't there two cameras in the back? one for bird's eye and one for reverse? or is it one for bird's eye/revers and one for the mirror camera?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
aren't there two cameras in the back? one for bird's eye and one for reverse? or is it one for bird's eye/revers and one for the mirror camera?
I have two. But also have the Premier which uses one of the cameras for the rear view mirror display. I'm only assuming the backup camera is used for the bird's eye view based on the resolution of the images. Purely speculation and not based on any actual data. Maybe someone can tell us if the LT trim has two cameras. One is described as a wide field of view camera. So maybe that's the one used for the bird's eye view. Just guessing.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I have two. But also have the Premier which uses one of the cameras for the rear view mirror display. I'm only assuming the backup camera is used for the bird's eye view based on the resolution of the images. Purely speculation and not based on any actual data. Maybe someone can tell us if the LT trim has two cameras. One is described as a wide field of view camera. So maybe that's the one used for the bird's eye view. Just guessing.
The Premiere has one camera for the rear view mirror and a second one that's used for both the back-up view and the "rear" section of the surround view. If you've got a big raindrop on the latter camera it's pretty obvious when you can see it on both the backup view and (distorted) on the surround view.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reverse - rear view camera intermittent

In the past month, I've had two intermittent episodes of the rear view camera not engaging when the car is put into reverse. After two or more attempts to get it to engage by stopping and moving from Park to Reverse in the parking area, I decided to simply move on. Once home, whatever it was cleared and the regular functionality was restored.

Hopefully someone in the Bolt Tech team is monitoring such things and are making note.

The other rear camera function I did not try (through the rear view mirror) and I assume it is fine. it is something I seldom have any interest in using.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts