Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats the Guess-O-Meter...

I know that the top number is the maximum possible mileage if everything is perfect. No climate control on, no hills, no wind, no weather, etc. etc. etc. and is highly theoretical.
Then there is that middle number. My supposition is that is what it is guessing you'll achieve, based on it's tracking of (how many?) recent trips.
And the bottom number (the one I base my trips on) is guessing based on using the heater, driving fast and uphill, etc.

Then there is the little line that goes up (green) or down (yellow) which I assume is some sort of trend indicator.

Does anyone have any clearer understanding of the GOM that they could share?

Oh, and i WISH we could configure the MyChevrolet app to use the lower, pessimistic, figure when pinging the car for details.

Sigh...

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
You pretty much have correctly surmised what is going on with the GOM in the "Modern Enhanced" display mode.

Chevy has not given us any information on how many previous trips or total number of miles previously driven it uses to come up with the range estimate. I am finding that the more I drive the car, the more accurate the estimate is becoming, so it clearly uses a lot of historical data to fine tune things.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats the Guess-O-Meter...

I know that the top number is the maximum possible mileage if everything is perfect. No climate control on, no hills, no wind, no weather, etc. etc. etc. and is highly theoretical.
Then there is that middle number. My supposition is that is what it is guessing you'll achieve, based on it's tracking of (how many?) recent trips.
And the bottom number (the one I base my trips on) is guessing based on using the heater, driving fast and uphill, etc.

Then there is the little line that goes up (green) or down (yellow) which I assume is some sort of trend indicator.

Does anyone have any clearer understanding of the GOM that they could share?

Oh, and i WISH we could configure the MyChevrolet app to use the lower, pessimistic, figure when pinging the car for details.

Sigh...

all numbers are based on recent driving habits and consumption - recent meaning at most the average of the last 50 miles or so ( I don't have the exact data on that)

so the max-middle-low #'s are based off that

so if you are going up a long pass, these numbers are based on the recent and prolonged driving uphill - if you are on top of the hill and you start going down - those numbers will radically change ... so instead of basing your max range on that - base it on what you know is ahead off you - your car doesn't and will never know.

if you do lots of trips I suggest you take notes on consumption with your driving habits and terrain ... anyway ...

max-middle-low is trying to give you an indication of what you can expect based on recent driving ...

that little line is actually really useful ! it shows you what your current driving will give you in range ... so if that lines moves below the middle your range based on current consumption will be closer to the min if it moves above it will be closer to the max range ...

makes sense?

I personally use the battery level for my calculations as it is a very linear display - each bar is 5% capacity

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is the best implementation of a GOM as it gives a range with a prediction. Tesla, Nissan, Smart, Think, etc. just give a prediction which is always off. When driving home on a long drive if I have more at a minimum than I need it is a stress free drive. Nice job GM!

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is the best implementation of a GOM as it gives a range with a prediction. Tesla, Nissan, Smart, Think, etc. just give a prediction which is always off. When driving home on a long drive if I have more at a minimum than I need it is a stress free drive. Nice job GM!
I agree that this is the best implementation of a GOM. It's even better than what Honda created for their EVPlus 20 years ago.

It is more than a prediction, it indicates the range based on the current driving conditions (speed, elevation change, climate control, outside temperature, etc.). The trend bars extending above or below the middle range number indicate if the current conditions will result in greater or lesser range than indicated by the middle number.

If the middle range number is 50 and you are 50 miles from home, then I recommend driving such that the trend bar extends above the middle number, not below it.

Ed

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
A side note about using climate control and range estimates: as soon as you turn on the climate control system, whether in heating or cooling mode, the middle range estimate instantly changes. The top (optimistic) one doesn't appear to change at all, but the lower (pessimistic) one may or may not change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderful feedback/Information! Thank you.

Side note (I am slow sometimes picking up on new info), I discovered this morning as I had to hit the "gas" pedal to pass a truck on the way to work, the ring around the speedo turned from green to yellow. Not sure if it was because of speed (I got up to 72) or because of sucking electrons, but as soon as I returned to 65 it was nicely green again. So then I noticed that when stopped, it turns grey! Lots of little "signals" built into that display. One of these days I need somebody ELSE to drive the car so I can watch all the subtle changes in the display and take notes! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree that this is the best implementation of a GOM. It's even better than what Honda created for their EVPlus 20 years ago.

It is more than a prediction, it indicates the range based on the current driving conditions (speed, elevation change, climate control, outside temperature, etc.). The trend bars extending above or below the middle range number indicate if the current conditions will result in greater or lesser range than indicated by the middle number.

If the middle range number is 50 and you are 50 miles from home, then I recommend driving such that the trend bar extends above the middle number, not below it.

Ed
Agreed as well. In the ~3 years I have owned my BMW i3, the GOM has been so bad it's made me laugh and I almost never use it. I tend to look at the battery SOC display instead. Knowing the current SOC plus my driving style (average around 4.3 kWh/mile in my i3) tells me how far I will be able to go +/- 5%.

Looking forward to (finally) getting my Bolt next week and playing around with the GOM.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I personally use the battery level for my calculations...
I agree with this approach. The incurable flaw of the GOM is that it can not know how I plan to drive to my destination. It can only guess, based on history. I do know.

I ignore the GOM completely, and rely on the battery SOC gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts