Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The News Wheel posted an article on an interview conducted with Chevy's manager of the bolt, Shad Balch to address some questionable issues.

Chevrolet is very excited about its upcoming Bolt, but that excitement comes with some concerns.

As interest appears to be fading in electric vehicles, will the Bolt’s $30,000 cost and 200-mile range be enough to attract car shoppers? Will it be able to compete with Elon Musk’s similarly priced Tesla Model 3? Will customers be confused by the strange fact that the Bolt has a name that sounds very similar to the brand’s Volt car? Or that fake “Jolt” that some guy on the internet made up?
In a recent interview, Chevy’s manager of new product, Shad Balch, addressed some of those issues.
Full Article : http://thenewswheel.com/chevy-executive-talks-bolt-and-rival-tesla-model-3/

Article isn't long at all and it's pretty much to the point so not to worry

·
Registered
639 Posts
They lack the sort of appeal that people are attracted to and these days that seems to matter a lot, Apple and Tesla have a lot in common when it comes to that. This segment could very well be Tesla's game and no one else's

·
Registered
862 Posts
They lack the sort of appeal that people are attracted to and these days that seems to matter a lot, Apple and Tesla have a lot in common when it comes to that. This segment could very well be Tesla's game and no one else's
I think this points to just the opposite.

56% want every auto maker to offer electric options and want them across a broader range of vehicles (SUV, Pickup, etc).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most definitely. People still have they're "preferred" brand. If an EV came out from Subaru, for example, the big subie guys would be more inclined to buy them. That, and, people have different needs. Someone may not want to drive a Tesla, but much rather an EV pickup or something.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It will get to a point that use of electric power will grow so much that it becomes a very natural part of ones life, so much they barely think about it, at that point people will be far more inclined to go EV, they've been primed for it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, that's all it is. Same case as when the regular Hybrids were first introduced. No one was really taking to them but slowly it grew on people. Now you see them everywhere. This is just the beginning of another cycle.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Interest for electric vehicles is on the decline? I find that hard to believe with all the new hybrid and electric vehicles coming out along with the future EV plans of other companies. Once the Bolt EV hits the market I'm sure people's interest will be renewed.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Bolt I feel will wake up the market quite a bit. Following that with many other manufacturers bringing out full EV's will just keep the hype going and get it trending

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If nothing else, Tesla will keep reminding people of the Electric vehicles out there or soon to be released EVs and indirectly boost Bolt EV interest. Also, one of the main causes of the lack of interest is the stable gas prices. Seems to be going up in my area and I assume it will go up in other areas too including the states.

·
Registered
786 Posts
One key to increased Bolt EV interest is the revelation of the very low maintenance that a BEV needs. I bought the 2014 Chevy Spark EV Owner Manual and I read it completely (I quoted parts of it in other forum posts here). The only user replaceble parts are the three wiper blades (two on the windshield and one opn the rear window) and the cabin air filter. The battery and controller coolant is replace once every ten years (or 95,000 miles), and it is the same period with the motor and gear lubricant (similar to transmission fluid). The brake fluid will last the life of the BEV. That is alll! How is this possible? Because the motor, battery, and controller generate little heat and their fluids will not degrade due to heat as in a gas engine vehicle. And regenerative braking will reduce over 90% of the friction (and hydraulic) brake wear.

The only big maintenance cost are the tires, as with every other vehicle. A BEV owner will be using their time only to keep it clean and to refill the washer fluid. All this time and material savings will compensate for the higher initial cost difference from a similar gas engine vehicle. I have serviced cars since 1963, driven them since 1967, and I know how to service and repair them. The BEV will definitely lower owner and operating costs, and probably eliminate many of the service shops everywhere. Only the tire shops continue to survive until a new tire/wheel design eliminates them, too.

This is my favorite issue about BEVs!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Chevy needs to advertise the extremely low maintenance cost as one of their main selling points for the Bolt. Unfortunately, I'm still driving around in an ICE vehicle and the maintenance cost has stacked up over the years. It's almost 10 years old and every time I bring it for a short maintenance it costs me around $170 and the longer services made every other years costs even more. And then there's the brake pad replacements I had to make.

I'd be glad to see those bills be drastically reduced with an EV.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Chevy needs to advertise the extremely low maintenance cost as one of their main selling points for the Bolt. Unfortunately, I'm still driving around in an ICE vehicle and the maintenance cost has stacked up over the years. It's almost 10 years old and every time I bring it for a short maintenance it costs me around $170 and the longer services made every other years costs even more. And then there's the brake pad replacements I had to make.

I'd be glad to see those bills be drastically reduced with an EV.
Don't forget the time saved not going to gas stations. Plugging in at night takes only seconds. Not having to stop on the way to/from work (or wherever) doesn't seem like a big deal until you don't have to do it anymore.

Refueling while you sleep is soooo much better:laugh:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget the time saved not going to gas stations. Plugging in at night takes only seconds. Not having to stop on the way to/from work (or wherever) doesn't seem like a big deal until you don't have to do it anymore.

Refueling while you sleep is soooo much better:laugh:
It's definitely a big deal for me and I notice it ! For some strangely odd reason I typically wait until the last minute, when I'm on the way home really late to end up going to the gas station. At the most darn inconvenient times lol. Definitely looking forward to not having to do that anymore ;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm one of those that keeps an eye on gas prices and try to wait until the prices have gone down a bit but with that method I sometimes end up cutting it close. Plugging in would save me many trips to the gas station and the lineups on lower priced days. Also frustrating when I pass by a gas station on the other side of the road that I can't get to without making a U-turn. :(

In the long run EV vehicles are just better on the wallet especially if you plan to keep it for a long while like LightningBolt's record of 10 years with that ICE car.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm one of those that keeps an eye on gas prices and try to wait until the prices have gone down a bit but with that method I sometimes end up cutting it close. Plugging in would save me many trips to the gas station and the lineups on lower priced days. Also frustrating when I pass by a gas station on the other side of the road that I can't get to without making a U-turn. :(

In the long run EV vehicles are just better on the wallet especially if you plan to keep it for a long while like LightningBolt's record of 10 years with that ICE car.
I'm the same, combine that with living somewhere away from the city and it's a big win since you get even better prices, don't have to wait in long lines, the list goes on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts