Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MotorTrend took a few Bolts around to the Tesla Design Studio and then to a little meetup held with the organizer of the local Orange County Tesla Club to see what they thought of the Chevy Bolt.

Quite fun to read the article and hear the comments but of course the end result is nothing but expected.

Spoiler alert btw :
“How many of you have Model 3 reservations?” I ask. Eleven out of 19 hands rise.

“Now, after seeing and riding in the Bolt, how many of you would now cancel that reservation?” All but one hand dropped (one of Phil’s two Model 3s).
But having read the article, there definitely were some positive remarks coming from people that owned Telsas and other EVs.
Jamie Dow, Roadster owner: “One of the biggest benefits of an electric car is instant throttle response. Having just ridden in the Bolt, I’m very impressed by its power and regen.”
Give it a quick browse here ! : http://www.motortrend.com/news/what-tesla-owners-think-about-chevrolet-bolt/

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lol, you beat me to posting this by one minute.

I expected the Tesla employees to be a bit more snooty in their reaction, but it's good to see that they're just car enthusiasts who's trying to come out with extraordinary designs.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I didn't even realize it !

But I honestly did too. Majority of the Tesla owners I see in my area tend to always "look snobby" and that could just be my horrible perception of them. But nonetheless, I automatically associated my experiences with how I thought they would react when they Bolt was there and it was completely the opposite.

·
Registered
263 Posts
One big advantage the Bolt has, that the Tesla guys mentioned in the video, was the hatchback opening which is something the Model 3 does not have. As for their complaints about the lack of a Nav system, that's what google maps and android auto/carplay is for.

I find that most manufacturer nav systems just doesn't hold a candle to Google maps.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Space should be a big one here since that's either a make or break thing unless someone who really wants the Tesla gets a roof mounted storage box. Seems like Model 3's design could cause problems with rear passenger head room (and maybe shoulder room, leg room?)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dennis, Model S owner: “I think they should just get rid of the shifter’s D mode and put everything in the high-regen L mode. I’m an experienced EV driver used to high regen.”
Is this a good idea? To put everything in high regen mode or is D mode needed?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Is this a good idea? To put everything in high regen mode or is D mode needed?
It really comes down to personal preference. Experienced hypermilers abhor heavy regen and want to coast as much as possible.
In testing, "L" mode is slightly more efficient than "D" (245 to 238). Using the paddles in combination with "L" wil almost certainly improve that furhter.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-tesla-model-s-60-range-charging-travel/

I also found it interesting that testing in real world conditions found the Bolt was BETTER on the highway than the EPA test numbers and the Tesla worse than its rating.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty killer that the range was found better. It's hearing those things that really comfort me in a decision, especially with all of this nonsense floating around that certain manufacturers are inflating their mileage specifications.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts